Topic: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

I currently use a Sony NEX  6 with my collection of manual lenses and that works a treat. The combination of a high res Electronic View Finder ( EVF) and, less useful, but still valuable, focus peaking, makes manual focus easy.

Does anyone here have any experience of using or trying both the NEX 6 and the newer Sony a6000? The a6000 has a lower resolution EVF and may not be as good for manual focus, but I have heard that the EVF is brighter than that on the NEX.

The price of the a6000 has dropped and my NEX is getting long in the tooth (it has earned its keep taking many thousands of shots), so considering a change.

Last edited by Wheelman (2016-09-19 12:45:16)

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Wheelman wrote:

I currently use a Sony NEX  6 with my collection of manual lenses and that works a treat. The combination of a high res Electronic View Finder ( EVF) and, less useful, but still valuable, focus peaking, makes manual focus easy.

Does anyone here have any experience of using or trying both the NEX 6 and the newer Sony a6000? The a6000 has a lower resolution EVF and may not be as good for manual focus, but I have heard that the EVF is brighter than that on the NEX.

The price of the a6000 has dropped and my NEX is getting long in the tooth (it has earned its keep taking many thousands of shots), so considering a change.

I don't know about how it handles but the results for macro are superb. See the results where the a6000n lens is specified in "LordV"'s (Brian Valentine) images here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/45

Harold

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Thanks Harold, but I think he is using an auto-focus Sigma lens. It's focusing legacy glass that I am interested in.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Wheelman wrote:

Thanks Harold, but I think he is using an auto-focus Sigma lens. It's focusing legacy glass that I am interested in.

He also uses other lenses, depending on the subject. My main point is that you can see the quality of the images from the sensor.

I don't see why use of MF lenses is a particular issue with a specified camera, unless you are considering focus peaking, and that is a sensor issue not about lenses. I use mine with various bodies.

Harold

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Thanks for your further response Harold.

I have tried using legacy lenses with a variety of camera bodies, but in most cases have been disappointed in that, for example, DSLR viewfinders are nowhere near as good as those that were fitted to pre-autofocus film cameras, e.g the Pentax MX or the Olympus OM series. However the electronic view finder of the NEX 6 is at least as good for manual  focus as those older cameras, and it has given my collection of old lenses a new lease of life - to the extent that I now rarely use autofocus. I guess that the main advantage is the 9.6x magnification that can be applied which allows accurate focus on any part of the scene.

When Sony introduced the a6000 as as replacement for the NEX 6, they reduced the resolution of the viewfinder - presumably to cut costs. This has been corrected in the most recent model, the a6300, but that camera is currently way beyond my budget.

Last edited by Wheelman (2016-09-21 07:10:27)

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Wheelman wrote:

I guess that the main advantage is the 9.6x magnification that can be applied which allows accurate focus on any part of the scene.

That is only useful, to its full extent, if you are using a tripod, the only time when i would use it, and then mostly in testing lenses against a chart. Otherwise, focusing accurately, and maintaining it, is more difficult than you might think for hand-held.

Wheelman wrote:

When Sony introduced the a6000 as as replacement for the NEX 6, they reduced the resolution of the viewfinder - presumably to cut costs. This has been corrected in the most recent model, the a6300, but that camera is currently way beyond my budget.

I was unaware of that. Viewfinder resolution was a major issue with my first digital, an EP-2.

Harold

Last edited by e6filmuser (2016-09-21 07:26:23)

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

e6filmuser wrote:
Wheelman wrote:

I guess that the main advantage is the 9.6x magnification that can be applied which allows accurate focus on any part of the scene.

That is only useful, to its full extent, if you are using a tripod, the only time when i would use it, and then mostly in testing lenses against a chart. Otherwise, focusing accurately, and maintaining it, is more difficult than you might think for hand-held.

Harold

I use this all of the time Harold, it's not like a rear screen and live view, which does need a tripod in my view, but using the electronic view finder is just like focussing manually with a film camera. Actually it's better, because you are seeing exactly what the sensor is receiving, there are no problems with component misalignment that could result in focusing errors. I only use one auto focus lens regularly with my NEX 6, a Sigma 19mm f2.8, and that's the only one where I occasionally, but irritatingly,  get out of focus shots!

Using longer telephotos the whole thing does become more critical, with less room for error, but again, my manually focused shots stack up well against my hardly used Sony 55-210 auto focus image stabilised lens.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Wheelman wrote:

I use this all of the time Harold, it's not like a rear screen and live view, which does need a tripod in my view, but using the electronic view finder is just like focussing manually with a film camera. Actually it's better, because you are seeing exactly what the sensor is receiving, there are no problems with component misalignment that could result in focusing errors.

I was referring to the 9.6X.

Harold

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

e6filmuser wrote:
Wheelman wrote:

I use this all of the time Harold, it's not like a rear screen and live view, which does need a tripod in my view, but using the electronic view finder is just like focussing manually with a film camera. Actually it's better, because you are seeing exactly what the sensor is receiving, there are no problems with component misalignment that could result in focusing errors.

I was referring to the 9.6X.

Harold

That's what I use.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Using manual lenses on Sony a6000

Wheelman wrote:

Thanks Harold, but I think he is using an auto-focus Sigma lens. It's focusing legacy glass that I am interested in.

I see that he is sometimes using the Sigma for stacking, which prohibits the use of AF.

Harold