Topic: Canon FD 200mm 2.8 - stuck aperture?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm using a variety of manual lenses on a Canon 30D body.

I have a Canon FD 200mm 2.8 lens with a unbranded FD->EOS adapter (which has a glass element).

My concern is that my lens aperture blades seem to be stuck on a fairly high f number, looks like f/16 or f/22 to my eye (lens goes to f/32)

I wondering if anyone had some advice on what might be the issue, or even resources on dismantling. I've never dismantled a lens before, and to be honest, I love this lens even with its aperture limitation at the moment.

I've checked out pins, and adapter pins and nothing looks bent or out of place.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers
Nathan

Re: Canon FD 200mm 2.8 - stuck aperture?

Well the Canon FDn lenses off camera look like they have a stuck iris, with the fd ones you can operate the blades\iris....if you have the fd lens you could try operating the levers at the back and hope the blades eventualy free (less boring if you watch the television at the same time). I do this with one lens (non Canon) as if not used the iris sticks

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

I had an FD-mount Kiron 105 with aperture stuck wide open. This was due to oil on the blades. I suspect that sticking at small aperture is much less likely.

Harold

Also I read there is a dodge to operate the blades on the FDn lenses (I haven't tried it yet) off camera.....is to use the back cap in place with a large cut hole to get at the levers.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-04-24 07:50:00)

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92

excalibur wrote:

Well the Canon FDn lenses off camera look like they have a stuck iris, with the fd ones you can operate the blades\iris....if you have the fd lens you could try operating the levers at the back and hope the blades eventualy free (less boring if you watch the television at the same time). I do this with one lens (non Canon) as if not used the iris sticks

Hi thanks for your suggestion.
When the lens is off the camera, it is still on the adapter, it looks like it still stuck, even though the adapter part will be "fooling" the lens into thinking it is still mounted on a camera.... But when I take the adapter off, the levers on the back of the lens dont move? I assumed this is because there is a safety mechanism or soemthing, for when the lens is not on the camera body? Should they be moving freely? This might be my problem?

What I am seeing, is no iris movement, when moving the aperture selection ring, and my photos taken with the lens (and light metering) confirm that my photos are at f/22 or so.

e6filmuser wrote:

I had an FD-mount Kiron 105 with aperture stuck wide open. This was due to oil on the blades. I suspect that sticking at small aperture is much less likely.

Harold

Yes thats my undersatning too - that if it was stuck at f/2.8 I would probably be looking at disembling the lens to clean the iris. Not something I'm too keen on doing, if I can avoid it.

nathanbarlow wrote:
excalibur wrote:

Hi thanks for your suggestion.
When the lens is off the camera, it is still on the adapter, it looks like it still stuck, even though the adapter part will be "fooling" the lens into thinking it is still mounted on a camera.... But when I take the adapter off, the levers on the back of the lens dont move? I assumed this is because there is a safety mechanism or soemthing, for when the lens is not on the camera body? Should they be moving freely? This might be my problem?

What I am seeing, is no iris movement, when moving the aperture selection ring, and my photos taken with the lens (and light metering) confirm that my photos are at f/22 or so.

On the FDn lenses and not on the camera or not with a back adapter...nothing moves (not even turning the aperture ring). The FD lenses which are breechlock there is not a problem doing a very simple dodge and is to press in a little pin and just turn the locking ring a short way, that allows the levers to move.
Have you a film camera you could try the lens on? Or maybe a handy camera shop that has some Canon film cameras? If it doesn't work on a film camera then the blades must be sticking.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-04-24 08:32:14)

Okay that sounds like I have a FDn lense then?

Its the same lens on this page: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co … /200mm.htm

Which says FDN, even though the lens itself says FD on the sliding hood.

Sounds like a good idea to pop into my local shop and try it out on a FD body. Then I know its my setup (and adapter) rather than the lens itself.

My adapter is this kind: http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1F90KLXXX … -glass.jpg

that pin at the back of the image, looks straight?

Mine however doesnt.

This might be my issue?

I have been playing around with it just now, and if i put the adapter "half on", my aperture iris moves, not the full range, but it moves. Obviously half on, is not going to be secure enough to walk around with, never mind having to fiddle with it all the time to get it working.

e6filmuser wrote:

Harold

Just to clarify. Mine is FD breechlock.

Harold

nathanbarlow wrote:

My adapter is this kind: http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1F90KLXXX … -glass.jpg

that pin at the back of the image, looks straight?

Mine however doesnt.

This might be my issue?

I have been playing around with it just now, and if i put the adapter "half on", my aperture iris moves, not the full range, but it moves. Obviously half on, is not going to be secure enough to walk around with, never mind having to fiddle with it all the time to get it working.

On another forum some guys have problems with some Chinese adapters from ebay..... you could google your supplier to see if there are any complaints.