Topic: Carl Zeiss Planar 1:3.5/100mm

These are some images taken with the Carl Zeiss Planar 1:3.5/100mm on medium 6x6 format. The focal distance of this Planar is a little bit more (25%) than the so called normal focal distance, which is 80mm for medium 6x6 format.
The Planar is pretty famous for its reputed "zero distorsion", designed for aerial photography and photogrammetry.
This is the only lens I have for medium format since 30 years. Nowadays, used lens are cheap in comparison to earlier times.

All images are taken with a Hasselblad 503CX on AGFA's Agfacolor Optima 125 Professional 120 film. Scanned with Epson 4990 scanner.

We call it Trubachtal chicken story:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1663/26258657365_14f4c72ad0_h.jpg
The ignoring

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1523/26232737496_9b76234675_h.jpg
Willing to share

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1602/26258669755_0ee6ccc90a_h.jpg
Friendship

It happened in Trubachtal, Franken, Germany
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1546/26232809086_c586ec5f52_h.jpg

Hanoi

Re: Carl Zeiss Planar 1:3.5/100mm

Excellent series : your pictures seem absolutely natural ( colours and sharpness ) ; as if we were standing beside you  , sharing a moment of calm in a beautiful nature .
These slides should be a pleasure   to look at  projected on a large screen !

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Quite a lens (and quite a price right now on Ebay!).

Harold

Well Hanoi I thought you were just a digi camera guy.....very good examples of a combo of lens and FILM and you didn't even use a pro scanner.
H'mm can't find a smilie for "clap" or "thumbs up" sad

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

Thank you guys!!

ikonpeter wrote:

... sharing a moment of calm in a beautiful nature .

Peter, you are very right. Trubachtal is located in Franconian Switzerland. Franconian Switzerland was given its name by Romantic artists and poets in the 19th century who compared its landscape to Switzerland. The Franconian Switzerland is famous for its high density of traditional breweries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_Switzerland.

Ideal for families who want to be out of the way of event vacations, looking for a quite and calm area, where you have time four yourself and your family.

ikonpeter wrote:

... These slides should be a pleasure   to look at  projected on a large screen !

I agree. Sometimes I find the time for visiting a public slide show. One of my favourites was Reinhold Messner. His slides, although taken on 35mm film, were excellent. But nothing in comparison to 6x6 slide shows. You can project 6x6 slides on giant screens, and you are overwhelmed by excellent details, colors and sharpness.
Unfortunately, this discipline is sentenced to death. The modern world is digital with its pixel bolides, but the quality of affordable beamers are far away from the quality of a medium format projector, for a fraction of the price of a really good beamer.

e6filmuser wrote:

Quite a lens (and quite a price right now on Ebay!).

Harold, yesterday evening, after I posted this contribution, I checked the prices for this lens on Ebay. I was surprised that some bidders offers to buy this lense for about 1200~1400€, while normal auctions tends to 500~700€.
I bought this lens as I mentioned about 1987 for DM 2500, about 1250€. To this time, it was a lot of money, and somehow     crazy. On the other side, this lens worked for 30 years without any fault, everything is still like new. I have the feeling the old Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad are made for the eternity.

excalibur wrote:

...Well Hanoi I thought you were just a digi camera guy

excalibur, I hate it to disappoint you, but I am more a digi camera guy than a film shooter. Eventhough I have to admit since I have the Nikon FM2 back, I am using film more frequently.
I know that you are still using films, and you can be be sure, I admire that. Somehow, it is a completely different approach. When I am using film, its more a celebration of taking photos. Not this click and click and click. Not only because of the extra money for developing the film, it is more to deal carefully with the film resource, which is limited to 24 or 36 images, for 6x6 only to 12. And the extra time you have to wait for getting the film back.
But I have very issues with my eyesight, focusing without electronic help is very difficult for me. You may imagine the disappointments when you get a film back, and the most images are out of focus.

Hanoi

Well Hanoi I had a focus problem with my young granchildren moving around so bought a Nikon 90x AF with two zooms just to be used for shots of them...the focussing is quite fast and is about the same speed as my son's Canon 400d.
Maybe an idea for you but don't think a zoom will give you the same quality as your prime lenses for your Nikon FM2 and definately can't compete with medium format gear.

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

Another way to get sharp pictures is to operate of cataract what I did last year !

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

excalibur wrote:

Well Hanoi I had a focus problem with my young granchildren moving around so bought a Nikon 90x AF with two zooms just to be used for shots of them...the focussing is quite fast and is about the same speed as my son's Canon 400d.
Maybe an idea for you but don't think a zoom will give you the same quality as your prime lenses for your Nikon FM2 and definately can't compete with medium format gear.

Yes, excalibur, I still can remember the time when my daugther was in that age, so scurry, always in movement, and I chased after her with the Contax or the Hasselblad. Horrible. I had a lot of success with the Minox, prefocused. Later I had a Canon Powershot G2, slow autofocus in comparison to modern cams, but very helpfull for me.

Thanks for your hint with the F90X. But you are right with your doubts. On the FM2 I use the most time the 20mm, that makes it somehow easier to focus apart from close ups.

Hanoi

ikonpeter wrote:

Another way to get sharp pictures is to operate of cataract what I did last year !

And are you satisfied now after the procedure? I hope it for you.

I am suffering on retinitis, an autoimmune disease. Apart from the age depended hyperopia, what I can compensate with glasses, I cannot concentrate to watch anything for a longer time. I have many     cicatricial on the retina, everything what I see is somehow curved in waves. When I look with two eyes, the normal thing, the brain is compensating this defect, but watching with one eye, thru an eyfinder for example, doesn't really work. I see everything havy distorted, and this makes you crazy after a short time.

This disease comes in exacerbation. When an episode is over, it takes about a week until the brain can compensate the new scar. Then it is still good enough than I can work on a PC for a working day. I live with this since many years, so I learned to bear it.

Hanoi

It might be instructive to read up on the use of n-acetyl l-carnosine (not carnotine). It is a powerful antioxidant which can slow, or even cure, cataracts. Several years ago my colour perception was changing and I was diagnosed with cataracts. I use a proprietary brand of eye drops which, together with DIY drops, has almost cleared up the problem. Because of the expense, I purchased enough bulk of the active ingredient to last a lifetime form less than a month's supply of the product. I prepare a +/- 1% solution in over-the-counter eye drops.

I can't recommend you to try it, as that would be unlawful prescribing, but I might help with other eye conditions, although I have not found evidence or claims, neither have I done much of a search.

Harold

Harold,

thank you for this post. This is the first I read something about that. I was surprised how many links google found and that there are so many discussion threads about this.

I understand well your doubts and care and I truly appreciate this. Now, I have enough to read and investigate now ...

Hanoi

Thanks Hanoi : everything is excellent after the cataract operation : sharpness and better colours  .
But in low light the problem comes from the retina which looses 9O per cent of its sensibility with age ....
So the EVF is a miracle for old people as me .
I am sorry for your disease , Hanoi . But you still shoot excellent pictures  .

ikonpeter wrote:

Thanks Hanoi : everything is excellent after the cataract operation : sharpness and better colours  .
But in low light the problem comes from the retina which looses 9O per cent of its sensibility with age ....
So the EVF is a miracle for old people as me .
I am sorry for your disease , Hanoi . But you still shoot excellent pictures  .

Good to hear about the suscessful operation!

I am with you about the help of an EVF. This is why I like the X-E2 so much. Unfortunately not available for film.

Thanks for your comfort. I guess you know that we can learn to acceppt what cannot be changed.

Hanoi