Topic: Hanimex 80-200 f 4.5 macro zoom in Canon FD mount.

I could not resist this lens for $5 Canadian. The focussing and zoom controls just feel like silk, they are so smooth. It looks like it has never been used. I am going to put it on my Canon 40D with an adapter (with no glass insert) which I bought a couple of months ago..... (Just in case I ever needed it......HaHa!!) I am going to use it for butterflies in the springtime as it will not focus to infinity with my inexpensive adapter. It has a green ring around the front of the lens which takes a 52mm filter. It has the usual purplish bluish multi coating and the serial number is 219525. I really like old manual lenses with the serial numbers upon them. It makes me feel the makers took pride in their endeavours. Speaking of makers.... I wonder who made this beauty for Hanimex.? They were an importer as we all know but whether it came from Tamron or Tokina or Kimunor is anybody's guess. It is quite cold where I live tonight and the usual snow is falling. One benefit is because it is so cold the snow is easy to just brush off the car with the broom.
Boy I do ramble on and on don't I. it is probably because I am a 1931 baby. HaHa!!
A belated Happy New Year to all. Jim.

Last edited by jimbob (2016-01-21 01:06:37)

Re: Hanimex 80-200 f 4.5 macro zoom in Canon FD mount.

There some are very good lenses, that nobody wants, around...I bought a Zenit camera with Helios 44-2 and a Prinz galaxy 135.f3.5 preset for £1 at a bootsale....well I was surprised how good the result were for the Galaxy even wide open....dunno how it would perform on a digi as I only use film.

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

The test and critics of this lens are very positive !
You did well to not resist at this bargain price .
By the way , in your frozen part of the world you can probably discover Mammoth 's  babies  older than you !!!

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Hello excalibur,
Thank you for your acknowledgement. You also did well with the bargains you got at the boot sale. The Helios 44-2 gives very good performance when used with the Canon crop sensor cameras. Even wide open, because only the central part of the lens is used, there is no need to worry about the softening on the corners wide open. My 40D sensor is 22mm x 16mm so a 35mm lens gives lots of excellent resolution in the central area. Thanks once again excalibur. Jim.

Hello ikonpeter,
I am glad you liked my latest lens bargain. During my earlier years with photography I have learned many things regarding lens manufacturers and the importers in America and other parts of the world. Our knowledge from many years at the hobby gives us an advantage whenever we see a gem that we just can't resist. The reason for my purchase of the 80-200 macro zoom was to get the macro feature. I had a 60mm Canon EFS macro, but the lens to subject distance did not allow too much room for lighting and avoiding the shadows on the subject. I sold the 60mm for that reason. Now this new treasure (for me), even thought it does not give me infinity focus with my FD adapter, will be just fine and gives me lots of room between lens and subject. The zoom macro is a new experience for me and I am eagerly anticipating the warmer days and the Springtime. Regarding the Mammoth babies I just recently saw that they have discovered another Dinosaur species out west in Alberta Canada. Stay warm. Jim.

jimbob wrote:

Hello excalibur,
Thank you for your acknowledgement. You also did well with the bargains you got at the boot sale. The Helios 44-2 gives very good performance when used with the Canon crop sensor cameras. Even wide open, because only the central part of the lens is used, there is no need to worry about the softening on the corners wide open. My 40D sensor is 22mm x 16mm so a 35mm lens gives lots of excellent resolution in the central area. Thanks once again excalibur. Jim.

Hi Jim
As I don't do digital and one of my hobbies is trying out old lenses on my different film cameras (buy a lens and I have a camera to fit..well nearly) and pick them both up for peanuts at boot sales..mainly 3rd party lenses though.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-01-20 14:50:54)

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92

excalibur wrote:

...As I don't do digital ....

Hello excalibur,

I saw your signature often but I didn't pay too much attention. This list of gear is pretty impressive, only film cameras!

Apart from the Sony Cypershot. I am curious how many rolls of film do you expose over the year.

Hanoi

Hanoi wrote:
excalibur wrote:

...As I don't do digital ....

Hello excalibur,

I saw your signature often but I didn't pay too much attention. This list of gear is pretty impressive, only film cameras!

Apart from the Sony Cypershot. I am curious how many rolls of film do you expose over the year.

Hanoi

Actually not many as when using film you slow down and tend to make sure every shot counts (no machine gunning with film compared to digi owners)...as the cost for dev and scanning can be expensive.
Many digi owners would hold their hands up in horror if they knew say a Mamiya RB67 only takes 10 shots per roll of film.

Welll I must update my profile as it's OOD, but to me the digi world is all over the place with digi manufacturers pushing to sell their gear from moble phones to super duper mirrorless cameras BUT the film world is static and in a lovely time warp where if you could fit one lens to all the cameras (from the cheapest to most expensive well as long as the cheapest is a decent one) and shoot the same subject, same exposure etc you would get the same picture, so in a way the lens is more important than the camera body and why I like playing with old lenses...it doesn't quite work out the same way for digi owners as some old lens with some digi cameras and the results can vary.
Thanks Hanoi for your interest.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-01-21 00:01:23)

Hello excalibur,
You wrote earlier today.....""Hi Jim
As I don't do digital and one of my hobbies is trying out old lenses on my different film cameras (buy a lens and I have a camera to fit..well nearly) and pick them both up for peanuts at boot sales..mainly 3rd party lenses though.""
I also like my old Asahi lenses and not forgetting my Meyer Optik Trianon F2.9 105mm. These I use with various home made adapters/adaptors on my Asahi bellows. If I find any bargains with the 42mm thread I usually pick them up. A recent purchase was the 200 f5.6 Super Takumar with 42m Pentax thread. I wished you lived around the corner, we could have a very entertaining chat.
Regards.
Jim.

This morning, on dpreview, I read an interview with Toru Takahashi, one of the Fuji's manager:

Do you think film in general will have a resurgence?

TT: No, I don’t think so. The infrastructure [is no longer in place]. We have to continue to supply film and maintain our labs for another 10-20 years, maybe but I don’t think we can change the [downward] trend.

You mentioned in your presentation that demand for film peaked in 2000. Can you give me a current idea of how that compares to demand today?

TT: We sell less than 1% of that amount now. Across all formats. But we have to supply film to photo enthusiasts. They demand it of us, so we do.

I guess the last statement is somehow soothing for you.

Hanoi

jimbob wrote:

Hello excalibur,
You wrote earlier today.....""Hi Jim
As I don't do digital and one of my hobbies is trying out old lenses on my different film cameras (buy a lens and I have a camera to fit..well nearly) and pick them both up for peanuts at boot sales..mainly 3rd party lenses though.""
I also like my old Asahi lenses and not forgetting my Meyer Optik Trianon F2.9 105mm. These I use with various home made adapters/adaptors on my Asahi bellows. If I find any bargains with the 42mm thread I usually pick them up. A recent purchase was the 200 f5.6 Super Takumar with 42m Pentax thread. I wished you lived around the corner, we could have a very entertaining chat.
Regards.
Jim.

***I wished you lived around the corner, we could have a very entertaining chat.***

Indeed Jim, but my collection is tiny compared to some guys who have over 120 lenses and some with over 60 film cameras....in getting lenses for peanuts creates a problem e.g. I've accumulated sixteen 28mms and unless you sort through them for the one\ones that you like, you would never "know" your lens, same if using a different camera each time.
Anyway I'm not a complete luddite and just bought a film Nikon 90x AF lens and do realise how great digi cameras have become, why I even use my digi compact for quick shots of gear for posting....oh the shame sad

Hanoi wrote:

This morning, on dpreview, I read an interview with Toru Takahashi, one of the Fuji's manager:

Do you think film in general will have a resurgence?

TT: No, I don’t think so. The infrastructure [is no longer in place]. We have to continue to supply film and maintain our labs for another 10-20 years, maybe but I don’t think we can change the [downward] trend.

You mentioned in your presentation that demand for film peaked in 2000. Can you give me a current idea of how that compares to demand today?

TT: We sell less than 1% of that amount now. Across all formats. But we have to supply film to photo enthusiasts. They demand it of us, so we do.

I guess the last statement is somehow soothing for you.

Hanoi

Indeed, but all "iffy" as film companies have to make money and not into charity and many types of film have been discontinued....well there is always the last resort of Chinese lucky film

excalibur wrote:

..well there is always the last resort of Chinese lucky film

Do you have any preferred film brand or type?

Hanoi

Hanoi wrote:
excalibur wrote:

..well there is always the last resort of Chinese lucky film

Do you have any preferred film brand or type?

Hanoi

You can't go wrong with a general purpose neg colour film like Fuji Superior, my favourite is an old stock of Fuji Reala but that's not made any more... but with the freezer full of film I haven't got round to using excellent Kodak Portra or VG Kodak Ektar....many guys recommend these Kodak films.
That just leaves using all three and deciding which one you like, sometimes it's horse for courses as e.g. you might like one for scenery and another for portraiture.
If you want the cheapest colour neg film which can be VG on some subjects there is always new Agfa Vista (rebranded Fuji C200 ) and in the UK is £1 a roll (24 exposures).
Can't help for B\W film as I just use colour now......but cheap Chinese lucky film is supposed to be quite good.
regards

Superia 200
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/Hexlenses8.jpg

Agfa Vista
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/smaller%20pixels%20for%20forums/CNV00056-1000px.jpg

Last edited by excalibur (2016-01-21 11:58:47)

I like the colours of the Superia 200.

The white and the orange tones look very natural, the blue of the water seems to be oversaturated - but this is difficult to say, sometimes you simply have water with this colours.

In Germany, you got 3x36 Superia 200 for about 15€. This seems to be fair.

My next try will be a Kodak Ektar 100, I already got two rolls. I am curious what I can pull out by my scanner from the promised finest grain.

Hanoi

Beautiful shots , Excalibur . Colours look very natural as wrote Herrmann

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Thank you
In some countries in Europe you can get Agfa Vista very cheap (£1 in UK) and for some subjects does give surprising results for a cheap film more e.g.s of Vista  Just developed and scanned to CD by a Supermarket (cost £3)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/smaller%20pixels%20for%20forums/CNV00076-1000px_zpssxcq3sq2.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/smaller%20pixels%20for%20forums/TamSP%203-1000px_zpsqfsc27eo.jpg

Last edited by excalibur (2016-02-09 08:54:19)