Topic: Ilford FP4, expired 2003

I found 5 pieces of Ilford fp4 plus 125, 120, expired by end of 2003.

Could it make sense to use these old films, and if yes, should I regard sth., maybe adapted exposer settings?

The same question for development.

Thanks,

Hanoi

Re: Ilford FP4, expired 2003

Do everything as if the films were new !
B&W films   forgive everything  that we , human , can not bear : age ,high/ cold temperatures....
I often buy films on flea markets , have never  had any problem with B&W films.
With colour negative films ,  utilize them but in B&W mode   ; that is , expose and develop as a B&W film .
Don't expect to get anthing good with  old slide films .

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

ikonpeter wrote:

Do everything as if the films were new !
B&W films   forgive everything  that we , human , can not bear : age ,high/ cold temperatures....
I often buy films on flea markets , have never  had any problem with B&W films.
With colour negative films ,  utilize them but in B&W mode   ; that is , expose and develop as a B&W film .
Don't expect to get anthing good with  old slide films .

OK. That's a word.

I will proceed as you suggested.

Thanks,

Hanoi

I've still got bulk FP4 in a loader and it's from 1984 stored at UK room temp and if the film has changed in quality, I can't see the different when I used it a couple of years ago. But usually for colour neg film is to add one stop every decade it's OOD, but I'm not sure whether that applies to B\W, so best to be on the safe side and add a stop.

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

Thank you, excalibur.

I think it does not harm to figure out by adding one stop for a reference image before I am going expose all the others.

According to you and ikonpeter, B&W film seems to be very tolerant regarding its age.

Hanoi