Topic: ATL 1500 - failing when been running for a while

Not been here for a while so hi!

I know there are some electronics wizards here so though this may be a good place to ask about this...

My ATL died yesterday part way through the third consecutive batch - normally I only ever do 1 process run at a time but was catching up with som 120 I'd shot in France.

Turning on and off it would start then slow down and stop again, all lights dieing and the buzzer sounding and strangling out.

Leave it longer and it would appear to go back to normal - for a few minutes.

It's an old machine, 80's/90's tech - logic chips, caps, resistor, diodes etc on a circuit board, with some early IC's.

My thinking was that something is probably heating up and going out of tolerance, a dry joint maybe, so I popped it open for a look...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_X6bdPrbR_VlWATR_kCSB_azykMc-MUjl3gcs9D2Oc=w1228-h921-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/s-PRddpKPanE8dUXRK76ZSF42W4cPZlS5EJpxdqKapA=w691-h921-no

There's some obvious discoloration in the next photo
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/K28Q48sMM7WPYA1w_MPrcEPSz6JycXQLRApt4bFXom0=w691-h921-no

Flipping the board showed this ceramic resistor...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ggoRSc57oNQym5kZEMvudI6lJiP1QqMvrFwNThBBJu8=w1245-h921-no

Which I think is a 3.3ohm 5W type...

Does this look like a typical pre/part-failure, if so would something downstream be causing it?  Or is it just cooked lacquer from over the years?

The machine would be about £1500 to replace and spares are like rocking horse poo so would rather repair if possible...  I was planning to refresh any suspect looking solder joints and swap out that component for a modern replacement.

Any ideas?

Ben

Re: ATL 1500 - failing when been running for a while

Looks like a current sensing resistor of some sort, so it might have been cooking for a while, OR it might be a symptom of something that is cooked downstream... perhaps something that is no longer turning as it should?
Can you try to operate the mecanism manually and see if everything works as expected? If it is, it might still be the motor for example...

Regardless you will probably need to put a replacement resistor in -- have you measured it? has it shorted? or is it still 3R3?

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

Everything works absolutely fine for about an hour until it decides to just die, the motor audibly slows down at that point...

The resistor isn't open circuit, I measured it on the board and got 5.8 Ohms, but I guess I'm getting some circuit resistance there so need to desolder one leg and recheck?

Ben

Hey, there.

I'm no expert, but that's a 5W resistor, so it's supposed to take some extra heat. If it's burning up, it can be just old age of the part, or it can be extra heat (current?) caused by something else.

Those parts are not a "speciality item", so i'd say replace it at once. No harm in that, the part should be easy to source at an electronics store, and if that was the problem, it's solved and you won't burn anything else big_smile.
If the problem persists, there's something else wrong (dah! tongue).

That should be part of the power supply, probably something to do with some voltage regulating circuit...

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Nikon: D7000; F2; F4; FA. RMC Tokina 17/3,5; Ensinor 24/2,8 Macro; Nikkor: S.C. 50/1,4; AI-s 28/2,8; Micro 55/2,8; 80-200/4; S. E: 35/2,5; 100/2,8; Viv. S. 1 105/2,5 Macro (Kiron); MC Rokkor PG 58/1,2; Canon FD 300/4; Pentacon 135/2,8.
Pentax: K20D; CZJ Flek 20/4; SMC Pentax: A 28/2,8; 50/1,7; M 50/1,4; Tak. 50/1,4; Tamron Adall 2: SP 90/2,5 Macro; SP 60-300; 35-70/3,5 CF; .
And some others...

I'm thinking I'll replace those electrolytic caps too, they may be a bit dry.

Ben

Replaced all the caps, will have to get the resistor mail order.

Good news is that it still works - will have to fill it with water later and leave it doing some dummy cylces to see if it conks out again.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5sm3lD6gxs05VRsppGXlxKWWUHCf2e5Ojwy0lz9rwXo=w1228-h921-no

Ben

is there any fan in there BTW? is it working? there's definitely a heat source with that resistor, perhaps a fan would help in the long run..

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

buze wrote:

is there any fan in there BTW? is it working? there's definitely a heat source with that resistor, perhaps a fan would help in the long run..

No fans at all

Ben

Well, perhaps you could add one; if you want to keep it working for a long time I mean, can't hurt, and a 12V running on 5V or so won't make any noise, but might just give you some extra life out of the kit in the long run...

Yeah I might graft a small PC fan on.

Ben

So did you make any progress on that?

I had a bit of a think about it and decided to not add one, main reason being there's no venting in the case so it would probably just circulate the warm air.   I don't want to 'add' some venting because the case gets splashed pretty regularly.

Here's a really rough scan from the latest processing run - first time I've done E6...  8x10 E64T - expired 2003

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YjHXywAPZ74/VeCODqpB1pI/AAAAAAAAMa4/C5R9oceyz-I/s1200-Ic42/000392.jpg

Lot of vignette bottom left, I had the camera body tilted a fair bit and it was shot wide open ( f/8) on a 165mm Super Angulon.

Last edited by BennyBoy (2015-08-29 09:40:59)

Ben

I am wondering what is an ATL?

I am not able to google this, ATL is an abbreviation for so many words. Including: Abgas Katalysator

Could you give me a hint? Thanks.

Hanoi

The Jobo ATL 1500 is an automatic film processor.

Thank you barney.

With your info available I was able to google and could find some interesting infos.

Bin heute zufällig durch Erfurt gefahren. Geile Altstadt!

Hanoi

Hanoi wrote:

Bin heute zufällig durch Erfurt gefahren. Geile Altstadt!

Ist bei dem Sonnenschein heute übrigens noch viel schöner! smile