Topic: I bought an even smaller mirrorless and I like it...

I bought an Olympus E-PM2 with the kit lens a couple weeks ago. I also bought the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens. The combination gives me a tiny pocketable 28mm equivalent. Before this, I was using the Pentax K-01 with an FA 20mm f2.8 (30mm equivalent). I took that all over Japan and it was great. When I compare the RAW images, I think it is clear that I can go bigger with the Pentax RAW files. But I don't need to go big and I want to carry a camera more often that is better than my cell phone.

The Pentax K-20D, the Olympus E-PM2 and the Pentax K-01:
http://i.imgur.com/kiHvE1Il.jpg

What blew me away about the E-PM2 was:

* size
* quick auto focus with options like focus on left or right eye (and it can accurately do it in dim light)
* image quality (considering the size)
* touchpad with touch to focus and take a photo

I don't have much of a point except we really do live in some exciting times. Oh, and some "getting to know the E-PM2" photos of course:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cymen/set … 788628365/

Last edited by cvig (2014-05-22 05:27:43)

Re: I bought an even smaller mirrorless and I like it...

But then I got another mirrorless camera that lets me use my Pentax lenses full frame:

http://i.imgur.com/1KhOGSr.jpg

The Sony A7 is pretty amazing to me. It opens up a whole world of lenses. I can't wait to stray beyond PK/M42 to see what is beyond (although it is tempered by the need to move in a month halfway across the USA). I've only had it for a couple of days and I've nothing to show yet but I'm really happy using it with my Pentax K 28mm f3.5, K 50mm f1.2 and K 85mm f1.8. The Pentax FA 20mm f2.8 seems to work fine too as does the Tamron 90mm f2.8 (although might have some occasional odd purple spots in center even with this newer lens -- might have just been an isolated incident).

Last edited by cvig (2014-06-10 09:18:43)

CONGRATULATIONS on your new E-PM2. Sounds like a neat little camera. And, good luck on your move. smile

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Thanks! I've used my manual focus lenses on both the E-PM2 and the A7. I want to get some more time in before I post anything but both are fun to use with manual focus lenses.

Although the 14mm Panasonic doesn't have the best reputation, I like that wonderful tiny and silent lense, and I am very amazed for its image quality.
I hope and I wish you will have the same positive impressions.

Hanoi

Hanoi wrote:

Although the 14mm Panasonic doesn't have the best reputation, I like that wonderful tiny and silent lense, and I am very amazed for its image quality.
I hope and I wish you will have the same positive impressions.

I read similar things about the reputation but I love it in practice! It is wonderful in both use and image quality.

I was originally going to buy more m43 lenses but then I was offered a Sony A7 at a price I could afford. I'm going to keep the E-PM2 + 14mm f2.5 Panasonic (28mm equivalent) as my pocket camera. All the other m43 lenses except the body cap ones seem to be larger than the 14mm. My plan is to otherwise use my A7 with manual focus lenses (mostly adapted Pentax).

Last edited by cvig (2014-06-14 22:40:45)