Topic: New PC need to transfer programmes/photos etc

Hi,
I had a great suprise today my father-in-law bought me a new PC as he had heard my old one was making strange noises and crashing, the PC i'm replacing has XP and is around 10yrs old but does have allot of important documents and photos/music etc i want to keep. The new PC has Windows 8 and 8GB ram 1TB SSD etc so should be great for my video editing ect.
Now before i go setting the new on up i want to work out whats the best way of transfering them over, i will need to go through all my folders/files and delete anything i don't want.
Help! I haven't a clue where to start lol
Any tips are most welcome
Cheers
Brian
ps will i have to buy Adobe Elements 10 again as i have it installed on the XP PC and also on my laptop?

Re: New PC need to transfer programmes/photos etc

DVD or memory stick?

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

DVD i also have a 250gb external HD

JethroTull wrote:

DVD i also have a 250gb external HD

Sorry I don't understand your copying  problem........but all installed programs on the old machine would have to be re-installed on the new.

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92

Hi,
Right i have been moving all my files/folder/photos to the external HD and i have sorted the Adobe Elements 10 (i just de-activate it on the old PC and then load it onto the new PC and re-activate it so no problem there) the other programmes/software i will re-install if possible onto the new PC. Just moved 750gb of photos today phew! found some interesting shots i had forgotten 8-).
The new PC has some USB 3 blue sockets so will get a card reader for that.
Cheers and sorry for being so vague with my info but it seemed like a major task and not exactly a computer wizard lol
Brian

***750gb of photos***

WOW

yep and that's not all of them! 8-)  they date back to 1998 when i got my 1st digital camera a 2mp Fuji that cost me £250 at jessops!   2mp's wow how did we cope then? lol

It might not be the best of answers, but ... well .... its time to be a hobbyist ... go to your local computer hardware store, get an external USB / e-sata drive enclosure and take that old HDD from your old computer, and out it into there.

Bingo, now you have an external USB HDD that you can simply plug into your new computer and simply read all that's on there ... now go get a decent viewer software and sift through all those old files, library them and port them over to the new drive. Then its time to simply format the new drive and use that as archive or ad hoc or whatever ...