Topic: Kodak slide further still

Discontinuing colour slide films ffs! Why can't they see that it may be a small market, but the people who love it want choice, and they still offered a real alternative to Fuji's rather idiosyncratic idea of what the market wants (I'm not a Velvia fan). Elite Chrome was IMHO the best E6 film for cross-processing I ever used, and I've always preferred the more realistic look of Kodak's tranny films like Ektachrome over Fuji. Bloody bean-counting losers - if ever a company deserved to slit its own throat, Kodak are it.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journ … rsal-films

"The news comes as Kodak is undergoing a wide-ranging strategic review of its businesses with the "commitment to drive sustainable profitability through its most valuable business lines." Stupid bastards don't seem to understand that some products, while less profitable, still maintain a halo around the brand that makes the brand. Sure they have to shrink back and focus on their core businesses, but if film isn't a core business for Kodak I don't know what is. They sure messed up digital despite having a huge early R&D advantage.

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-03-02 19:32:24)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Re: Kodak slide further still

Very sad indeed. Film is slowly disappearing.

Re: Kodak slide further still

I see where you are coming from Steve, but I disagree. Those slide films were not halo products for Kodak - Kodachrome was. And Velvia is for Fuji. But not their E6 offerings.
I am not saying that they are not good (I have never used them actually and I imagine they are excellent slides) but they don't carry a heavy name with them.

On a related note, have you tried Fuji Astia? I find it is a terrific slide film, with a very natural and gentle rendering (at least compared to Velvia or Provia).