Topic: scanning sans scanner

I've been going through old negs, looking for good things, putting them on my flickr page, and since the last good scanner I had was an HP PhotoSmart S20 film scanner that ran on Win95, followed by a lot of grief trying a series of "film scanning" flatbeds that couldn't do half as well as the HP did, even at 1100dpi, I decided I'd try camera scanning.

After trying it, and figuring out how to make it work, I discovered this: http://thedambook.com/downloads/Camera_ … _Krogh.pdf
It looks like I'm in good company.

Anyway, all of the recent B&W on my flickr site, http://flickr.com/mdarnton , is done with my Nikon D300 and 60mm Nikon Micro, on a copy stand (Durst enlarger, minus head) and an Omega negative carrier on top of a small lightbox. The last problem was alignment, which was solved when someone on another forum commented on using a mirror in aligning copy work (when the reflection of the lens is centered in the finder using in a mirror placed on the lightbox, the mirror and the camera are parallel--clever!)

Before settling on the Micro-Nikkor, I tried a variety of top-quality enlarging lenses (50/2.8 Nikkor and El-Omicron, and 50/4 Componon) , but at this magnification the Micro is much better at the corners. F8 turned out to clearly be the Micro's best opening for this scale of work.

I'd be happy to answer questions, but the process seems self-explanatory.

Re: scanning sans scanner

Very interesting, thanks a lot for the link.

Re: scanning sans scanner

mdarnton wrote:

The last problem was alignment, which was solved when someone on another forum commented on using a mirror in aligning copy work (when the reflection of the lens is centered in the finder using in a mirror placed on the lightbox, the mirror and the camera are parallel--clever!)

The disk from an old hard drive works very well for this, it is a mirror finish, it's round and it has a hole in the centre which makes it very easy to align the reflection dead centre.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.