Topic: New Update for Canon DPP

For those of you that use DPP software I found a new update available.
This updates DPP to V 3.11.1

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ … ndSoftware

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Re: New Update for Canon DPP

ramon wrote:

For those of you that use DPP software

Wouldn't be without it!

Thanks Ramon, any significant changes, or just more cameras?

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Wheelman wrote:

[any significant changes, or just more cameras?

Well I jumped from quite an old version so there has been an improvement for me.
Although I've just replaced my 350D with a 50D and the bigger files take longer to process plus I now have more of DPPs facilities available so I can't really make a fair comparison of the DPP versions.

The new DPP has crashed on me twice but that is probably my PC showing its age.

ramon wrote:

The new DPP has crashed on me twice but that is probably my PC showing its age.

I was all ready to d/l it till I read this.  How old is your PC and what OS are you running?  I find XP still to be somewhat more stable than Win7 on my machine -- which I just upgraded last month: AMD Phenom X4, Asrock 890GX mobo, 8 gigs of ram (although 5 of the 8 gigs are wasted with my 32-bit XP installation).  I have my machine set up so I can dual boot between the two OSes.  Did this because I have some legacy gear that Microsloth has decided no longer to support in Win7.

But if the crashing is more than an isolated problem, I think I'll wait a while.  I get by just fine with my 3yo version of DPP.

Ah mine is clockwork compared to yours, It's an AMD Athlon X2 with 2 GB RAM running XP.

You've got nothing to lose by getting the update, you can always go back to your old version if necessary.

ramon wrote:

Ah mine is clockwork compared to yours, It's an AMD Athlon X2 with 2 GB RAM running XP.

Don't know if you have red the other thread, but installing an extra 2GB in my XP pro machine transformed the performance. You need to check to see if standard XP can also handle more memory.

I also get the occasional DPP crash, but they are not real crashes, I get the question about reporting the crash, then DPP just gets on with it, very strange.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Wheelman wrote:

Don't know if you have red the other thread, but installing an extra 2GB in my XP pro machine transformed the performance.

Yes, thanks I saw that and will probably go down that route.

DPP hasn't crashed since but I've had a couple of strange instances where the thumbnail pics get corrupted on scrolling through and I've had to shut down DPP and restart but it doesn't seem to lose anything.

Wheelman wrote:

Don't know if you have red the other thread, but installing an extra 2GB in my XP pro machine transformed the performance. You need to check to see if standard XP can also handle more memory.

32-bit XP "sees" up to three gigs.  Any more than that is a waste.  64-bit XP should be able to see considerably more, but I don't know what its upper limit is.