Topic: Backyard conversion, Canon FD 200mm F2.8 to fit Canon EOS!!

Hi, all, new here.   I just bought a Canon XT on closeout,  the only way I can afford one.  I certainly can't afford new lenses!!!    I accidently discovered  the M42 and Tamron adaptall   "thing"  and have been having way too much fun.

I just bought a "dirty"  FD 200mm F2.8 Canon on eFray, and did a successful backyard conversion by rebuilding the back mount, to adapt it for manual use on my Canon XT.  If anyone is interested, and can steer me to where I can post a few pics,  I'll be happy to.

The aperture is adjustable, but is no longer accurate.  No big deal with metering, 'sfar as I'm concerned.   Just caught a nice pic of a B-17   (YES!)  flying nearly over the house.  They're going to be in Spokane the next few days.

With my age and increasingly shakey hands,  200mm is at the far reaches of my handholding ability.   This Canon is more compact and a  lighter than my old Takumar 200mm, and suffers from less flare.  The Tak  isn't in all that great shape.

Ok, let's try this

This is the thing pretty much done.  The adapter is one of the popular import M42 adapters with a focus chip.  I don't recommend this seller, the chip is intermittent and troublesome.  The separate AF-confirm chip I bought on eFray  from "EricC"  seems to work fine

http://i18.tinypic.com/4xonqco.jpg

This shows the disc I made to adapt the M42 adapter to the lens.  The lens  "guts" and mount have been removed.  None of the original  aperture  gear or original mount were used.  The only hardware used, other than the "main chassis"  is the aperture control ring, and part of the mount that it fits on, the middle ring in this picture.  Believe it or not,  I cut this disc  with aircraft snips.  I later punched the center hole with a "Greenlee" punch.

http://i9.tinypic.com/67gtzd2.jpg

This shows the shadetree lever I made which mates the original aperture control ring with the linkage down in the lens.   While this does control the opening, and offers full range of the iris, IT IS NOT ACCURATE, but I don't care.  I figured out that the sweet spot is about F11, which seems to be "true" F8

http://i16.tinypic.com/5zbm4b8.jpg

This shows the aperture ring on the camera, with the shadetree lever engaged into the lens.  The sheet metal ring goes immediately on top of this with original lens screws, and then the M42 adapter is bolted on top of that.

http://i16.tinypic.com/5xq53zq.jpg

The M42 adapter was drilled  to allow the screw heads on the lens side some clearance.   If I did this over,  I'd try to  find flathead screws to fit the original lens, and countersink them into the sheet metal disc.  The M42 adapter was mounted with tiny flathead screws and nuts,  the nuts simply being manipulated with common angled hemostat, etc

http://i16.tinypic.com/4pj7a87.jpg

This is all the junk I didn't use.   I don't truely understand how these lenses work, and probably won't try another.   I bought this lens for not much,  but have discovered others on eFray  that claim to be in better condition than this one.

http://i10.tinypic.com/5xenivd.jpg

Last, here's what flew over the house this afternoon, taken with this lens, set at the sweet spot, on Av with my Canon XT.   200mm is about the limits of my handheld ability, nowadays

http://i12.tinypic.com/66e0pz4.jpg

Last edited by 440roadrunner (2007-07-24 06:00:46)

Re: Backyard conversion, Canon FD 200mm F2.8 to fit Canon EOS!!

Tinypic.com is ridiculously easy to use and you don't even have to register.

http://www.tinypic.com/

When you click on the "browse" button, you will open a window to your hard drive and can pick whatever image you wish to post. Click on "upload" and the file will be uploaded and you will be taken to a window where you can copy the URL of the pic for several different uses.

For posting here, just pick the "IMG code for forums and message boards", highlight , right click and copy.

Then come to your post here where you want to put the picture, right click and "paste".

That's it.

BTW, congrats on your lens mod, it's much more satisfying to resurrect an old dinosaur than go out and spend megabucks on the latest toy.

B&H photo is a good place to pick up cheap used lenses and their shipping charges are eminently reasonable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

"You can't teach a man anything, you can only help him find what is within himself" -Galileo Galilei
"The first principle is not to fool yourself, and you are the easiest one to fool" -Richard Feynman
A zygote is but a gamete's way of producing other gametes.

I find these projects fascinating and would look forward to seeing how you did it. Did you manage to retain infinity focus on the adapted lens?

Leica and Zeiss on Canon DSLR's. My Gallery.

foxbat wrote:

I find these projects fascinating and would look forward to seeing how you did it. Did you manage to retain infinity focus on the adapted lens?

I think the pic of the B-17 answers that question very nicely..

I, for one, am impressed.

A real tour de force of shade tree ingenuity..

Next thing 440roadrunner is going to post is a shot of a UFO, that would be less rare in the air than a B-17.

Beep beep..

"You can't teach a man anything, you can only help him find what is within himself" -Galileo Galilei
"The first principle is not to fool yourself, and you are the easiest one to fool" -Richard Feynman

Yep.  Infinity is right there.   I'm not really a machinist, and the aperture/linkage problem on these lenses is beyond my limitations.  So far as "how I did it"  the pictures pretty much tell it.  It's not much more that that, being careful, and lucky in some respects.  I've found a little info on the FD lenses,  and that very important part of the lens seems pretty complicated.  I'm lucky that I got it  "workable" so easily.  I really don't care that the F stops are no longer calibrated--I "know" where the sweet spot is, and from there,  it's simply a matter of learning the depth of field by experiment, or opening it up  more if I MUST have more light.  Also,  there's obviously no going back at this point, so the monetary value of the lens is probably pretty much gone.   I'm not sure how may would really pay my investment back in a lens of this condition.   Those M42 adapters with the "chips" onboard aren't that cheap, either.

Frankly, the biggest problem operationally is the darn intermittent nature of this particular "focus chip."    Every time you mount  the lens, you must experiment a few times to make sure the chip hooks up.   

Frankly, I'm a little ashamed of my  black painting skills, which came out a little rough.  I should've tried to brush it on, and will probably redo the "black."

UFO?   I doubt that,  and I can tell you that a warbird in this part of the country is pretty rare, too.  When I heard it coming, I had assumed that it was a fire water/borate bomber, and nearly didn't go out to investigate.  The throb of what was obviously the grand sound of four round engines  just couldn't be ignored.  I'm not able to put up with the mess of congestion that is the Fairchild (Spokane) airshow, due to a combination of health problems.

LOL, I have a friend who is a world class machinist and he would *never* consider doing something like you did.

My motto is: Whatever works.

We have the Confederate Air Force about 40 miles up the road from where I live and it's kind of neat to see all the old warplanes..

My favorite warplane from WWII is the P 39 Airacobra..  Not really a fighter, more of a ground attack plane.

That sucker had a 37mm cannon firing through the prop shaft..

And it was a beautiful plane, IMO.

BTW, I had a lime green 1970 Road Runner with a 383. Awesome car..

http://www.nzmoparregistry.co.nz/assets/roadrunner3.jpg

Totally wierd.  I've had a number of Mopars, including a '69 383, and a '70 that appeared almost exactly as your '70.  Mine had the "dust trail" side stripes, and the original buyer got the plain black wheels.  The car was a '70, same original limelight color, with air grabber and black hood. Mine had the ralley  ("Charger") dash.   However---my car was a six pack, 4 speed car.  In later years,  I actually swapped a 340 in there, and that was a real blast.  It was as fast as a 383, got better mileage (nearly 19 with a !!Quadrajet!!) and handled so much better, what with the huge "Hemi"/police package suspension.

If I'd kept that thing til now, I could retire for what they are selling for.

Air/King cobra's were VERY wierd airplanes.  Frankly, I'm surprised that they ever made it into production, as radical as they were.  I'm not sure, as a pilot, that I'd ever feel comfortable knowing that there's a huge big driveshaft under my chair, nor that if I ever had to belly in, that big engine is just waiting at my back.

WELCOME Mr. Roadrunner! big_smile That is indeed an ambitious undertaking. Well done.
BTW, The big Bird you captured looks a lot like one called "Aluminum Overcast".  Seems that B-17 was on tour recently.
OT, I take it You are also into Muscle Cars? (At least of the Mopar variety.) wink
-Bruce

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

440roadrunner wrote:

Totally wierd. 

Air/King cobra's were VERY wierd airplanes.  Frankly, I'm surprised that they ever made it into production, as radical as they were.  I'm not sure, as a pilot, that I'd ever feel comfortable knowing that there's a huge big driveshaft under my chair, nor that if I ever had to belly in, that big engine is just waiting at my back.

Heh, I specialize in weird..  smile

Funny, you don't mind driving with a driveshaft right next to you, eh?

I was in the back seat of an old Chevy a long time ago when the rear U joint broke free. The driveshaft was trying to beat a hole in the floorboards right next to me and the other guy in the back seat and I were trying to get out of the windows at about sixty mph..

Another time I was riding in a T Bird at about 120 and the right front wheel came off.. Nothing happened until the driver backed off the gas when he saw the wheel..

I've lived an interesting life..

Maybe I was cursed by a Chinese sorcerer..

Just so this post isn't completely off topic, here is an image I shot of Saturn through my scope about seven years ago. I used a QuickCam VC and took an AVI of the planet. Then I used an image aligning and stacking program to integrate the images in order to gain resolution and decrease noise..

I think this was about twelve minutes worth at fifteen frames per second and I had to throw out about sixty percent of the frames.

http://i14.tinypic.com/6fg3b5w.jpg

The very best images of the planets taken by amateurs these days are taken with a Philips webcam in AVI mode, and then the frames are aligned and stacked just as I did. The program is called Registax and was specifically developed for this purpose.

Of course, these guys are using Takahashis and I'm using a Tasco..    smile

Which is sort of like comparing a Zeiss to a disposable camera..

Here is a link to a guy that is doing it..

http://www.frankbrandl.com/htm/gallery.htm

Last edited by TheVinylRipper (2007-07-24 20:03:19)

And here is an image of the Orion nebula I took with my Coolpix 995.

This time I used a special eyepiece that actually screws into the filter holder on the 995.

This image is the result of fifteen one minute exposure, registered and stacked.

http://i16.tinypic.com/4otoabc.jpg

I believe a lot of Bell Airacobra planes supplied to the RAF under Lend-Lease ended up with the Russians after June 1941. Their pilots apparently thought highly of this example of US technology.

dwright wrote:

I believe a lot of Bell Airacobra planes supplied to the RAF under Lend-Lease ended up with the Russians after June 1941. Their pilots apparently thought highly of this example of US technology.

The RAF refused the P 39 after flight testing.. Because it was not supercharged it wasn't suitable for the European theater of aerial combat, which generally took place at high altitudes.

The Soviets took whatever they could get and were glad to get it. They made it work for them.

The top Soviet Ace had 56 kills, 50 of them in the Airacobra.

If you would like to read about some of the bravest and most resourceful people in the whole of WWII check out this link. I think you will be astounded.

I also think this story could be made into a fantastic movie, if anyone had ever heard of it. I first read about it a work of fiction and thought it was entirely fictional. Then on a whim I Googled it one day and found to my surprise that it was actually true.

The Nachthexen

On edit: Not only do I specialize in weird, I also specialize in thread drift.   smile

Last edited by TheVinylRipper (2007-07-24 21:04:57)

From what I've heard, either the Air or King Cobra's made not a bad ground attack platform, and I believe this is how they ended up, for the most part.  That big gun in the nose certainly didn't hurt.   I don't think the Russians took them because the Russians liked them.  I think the Russians used them because it was "all they could get."

So far as the driveshaft issue, I'm well aware, having owned a number of fairly fast cars.  However,  the difference is, that the shaft in any of my cars had nowhere near as much horsepower behind it,  nor were any as long, large, and heavy, as the one for the Air/King cobras.  I did have a loop in the front of a couple of my cars, required in some classes at some dragstrips.   Usually, if the shaft exits to the rear,  the driver of that car is not at much risk, although others may be.  While the shaft may launch the car in unintended directions upon failure,  the shaft itself rarely enters the passenger compartment.  Far more dangerous is exploded clutches.  A friend of mine, in younger days, nearly met his end when a '409 in a 55 Chevy--famous around these parts--launched a clutch, leaving the 4 speed with no support.  The '55 mounts were all on the engine, leaving the transmission supported by mounting bolts to the bell housing.

In another incident, N of Spokane in the "old days"  a "gasser" launched a clutch--and a large chunk hit the rear quarter of a Cad parked by my car--in other words missing mine by inches.  Thay guy had no proper scattershield, and we nearly started a fist fight over that.  I used it for a paper weight for years, finally lost it.   I've forgotten the sponser,  "Ron's, Don's, other--drive in"  This was at the old Deer Park strip N of Spokane, about '67

On another note,  I also just picked up this 200mm Tamron "Adapt-a-Matic"  so now I've got to test the Canon project, the newest Tamron, and my old beater Takumar  to see who's boss.

I "had"  my first "Adapt-a-Matic"  accidently,  one that had been for my old Mamiya M42, so I accidently discovered these, just like the Adaptall's.   I now have the original 135mm, a 28mm and a 50mm.   Darn things are stacked up out there like cordwood.  Between you and I, I still think this Canon will be "it."   

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-200mm-f3-5-f … dZViewItem

Last edited by 440roadrunner (2007-07-24 21:45:46)

I had some experience with one of these 200mm Adapt-a-Matics. You could wind the lens out to its closest focusing distance, set it on end and watch it wind itself back down to infinity. Single helical, wide tolerances and slick grease!

Finally gone digital