Topic: Monstrous Lenses

http://periandtang.com/extrapictures/ernostar.jpg

http://periandtang.com/extrapictures/varioflex.jpg

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Which lenses are those? Have you got any sample pictures that you could show us? They look awesome smile

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Propi,

They are just two of my "more conventional" lenses LOL


The first one is a post-1926 Ernostar 105mm/1.8, made by Carl Zeiss Jena, originally made for covering the VP plate format on the Ermanox Reflex. Prior to 1926 this lens and older versions were made by Ernemann in Dresden. The back-focus is surprisingly short so cannot be mounted for a reflex camera of similar format (such as Mamiya M645). The best that can be done was to make a custom back where the rear thread is T-mount, making it useable on a wide variety of 35mm reflex cameras.

The second lens is a "Scheimpflug Objektiv Vario-Flex II" by Atzm

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Seele , I own an Astro-Berlin Telastan ... 3,5/200 , which is the same size than the Ta

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Seele , I remember that 40 years ago , I saw by a photo retailer in germany a macro-bellows from WEP Anker, in exakta mount,  with tilt and shift abilities. I'd never see anywhere this bellow,. I wonder if today somebody does own this very interesting accessory, which is probably usable at infinity with 80,90mm lens heads or enlarging lenses. I didn't find any trace of this on the net.

Re: Monstrous Lenses

hey helios, do you reguarly shoot with cine lenses?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

No , because tv or cine lenses which can have a compatible register and good coverage are not numerous ! I only shot regularly with the TV-Xenon . I own several C-mount lenses (TTH,Angenieux, Kern) , but they are only usable for macro .

Re: Monstrous Lenses

OK, either these cameras are quite small or those lenses ar really, really big! wink

Thanks for the pictures. Great!

Carsten

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Hi helios

Which TTH and Angenieux lenses do you own? I have the Angenieux 50/1.8, Cooke 100/2.5 and Kinoptik 100/2.

Re: Monstrous Lenses

helios wrote:

No , because tv or cine lenses which can have a compatible register and good coverage are not numerous ! I only shot regularly with the TV-Xenon . I own several C-mount lenses (TTH,Angenieux, Kern) , but they are only usable for macro .

Mitchell cine mount.  I've got a couple of Bausch & Lomb Super Baltars that someone turned down on a lathe or something, they're M42 now.  Funny lenses.  Interesting results.  Lots of abberations.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fet … _id=00B7zX

The Aero Ektar is a lot of fun.  6 lbs of WWII-era aerial bombardment lens, radioactive rear element, 178mm f/2.5.  Got an M42 focusing adapter on it.

http://www.growlery.com/images/aero_ektar/

http://www.cameramentor.com/images/aero_ektar/small_ps_imgp2104.jpg
http://www.cameramentor.com/images/aero_ektar/small_ps_imgp2137.jpg

And, as the man says, *that* ain't a lens.  *This* is a lens:

http://www.cameramentor.com/images/big_lens_001.jpg

I am His Majesty's dog at Kew.  Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Wigwam Jones wrote:

And, as the man says, *that* ain't a lens.  *This* is a lens:

I am hoping, you are not using this lens in street photography in Detroit downtown.

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Wigwam Jones wrote:

And, as the man says, *that* ain't a lens.  *This* is a lens:

Wow! Is that a camera-lens-set or a kind of stealth rocket launcher?
Hope you never want to board a plane with that! wink

Carsten

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Hi Wigwam,

I've been looking for the super baltar. smile Would you happen have one (in either cine or m42 mount) that I could take off your hands?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Holy catfish! That is some hunk of glass there Wigwam. Just a short note your Blog is funny!

By the way, what does AS-IS mean?....It means Broken/Useless/Hidden damages. Nobody want's to drink out of a dirty glass, but they want you to take a picture with it. People can be funny, don't you agree? Still searching for the Golden Lens!

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Cheap_optics_freak wrote:
Wigwam Jones wrote:

And, as the man says, *that* ain't a lens.  *This* is a lens:

I am hoping, you are not using this lens in street photography in Detroit downtown.

No, hehehe, actually I am using the *ist DS and a 50mm f/1.7.  Kind of a pancake effect.

I am His Majesty's dog at Kew.  Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

rashomon wrote:

Hi Wigwam,

I've been looking for the super baltar. smile Would you happen have one (in either cine or m42 mount) that I could take off your hands?

I have to say I'm quite attached to mine at the moment.  I'm not sure what fate put these in my hands - both were on eBay for less than $20 - I've since seen others similarly modified (it must have been a popular hack) that went for over $100.  I hate to tease - but I really do want to hang onto mine at the moment.  Good luck finding one of your own!

I am His Majesty's dog at Kew.  Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

chekawa wrote:

Holy catfish! That is some hunk of glass there Wigwam. Just a short note your Blog is funny!

That last photo is actually a copier lens shoved into the hole of my Canon T-60.  No focus, no aperture adjustment, but it will do macro quite nicely - just adjust the camera distance from the subject.  Wild fast lens, so major OOF effects with it.

And thanks for the kind words on the blog.  I haven't updated it in awhile - major update brewing.  Stay tuned.

I am His Majesty's dog at Kew.  Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

helios wrote:

Seele , I remember that 40 years ago , I saw by a photo retailer in germany a macro-bellows from WEP Anker, in exakta mount,  with tilt and shift abilities. I'd never see anywhere this bellow,. I wonder if today somebody does own this very interesting accessory, which is probably usable at infinity with 80,90mm lens heads or enlarging lenses. I didn't find any trace of this on the net.

There have been several bellows units allowing for movements; the Contax-Yashica was one, and perhaps the Olympus as well. If memory serves Spiratone offered one in the 70s.

The ultimate would of course be the Kennedy KI Monobar, the only full-feature monorail camera ever built for 35mm format. One turned up on the market here in Australia, a full kit priced at A$3000 which is not unreasonable for a rarity like that.

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Ang

Re: Monstrous Lenses

I knew the Olympus T&S bellows, Contax Yashica too, but the WEP was built in Exakta and M-42 mounts , that's what I sought after at that time . I have no Y/C bodies nor Oly's.

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Seele wrote:
helios wrote:

Seele , I remember that 40 years ago , I saw by a photo retailer in germany a macro-bellows from WEP Anker, in exakta mount,  with tilt and shift abilities. I'd never see anywhere this bellow,. I wonder if today somebody does own this very interesting accessory, which is probably usable at infinity with 80,90mm lens heads or enlarging lenses. I didn't find any trace of this on the net.

There have been several bellows units allowing for movements; the Contax-Yashica was one, and perhaps the Olympus as well. If memory serves Spiratone offered one in the 70s.

The ultimate would of course be the Kennedy KI Monobar, the only full-feature monorail camera ever built for 35mm format. One turned up on the market here in Australia, a full kit priced at A$3000 which is not unreasonable for a rarity like that.

I have the Spiratone Bellows Master SST - perfectly willing to sell it, too.  It's not that great, but it costs a lot.

You can also use a LF camera with a reducing back to a T2 or M42 tube - then mount your 35mm on that and use LF lenses and all the movements that the LF camera in question might possess.  Biggest problem might be infinity focus with the stock lens - fully collapsed bellows would still leave some room from the front to the rear of your attached 35mm camera.  But lots of lenses out there, so lots of ways to go.  I've seen a simple 4x5 slide-in back that was designed to fit into a standard graflok back and it merely had a T2 tube in the middle of it.  That should work on any 4x5 universal back camera and give movements galore.

I am His Majesty's dog at Kew.  Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

Re: Monstrous Lenses

Wigwam Jones wrote:

have to say I'm quite attached to mine at the moment.  I'm not sure what fate put these in my hands - both were on eBay for less than $20 - I've since seen others similarly modified (it must have been a popular hack) that went for over $100.  I hate to tease - but I really do want to hang onto mine at the moment.  Good luck finding one of your own!

Hi Wigwam,

That's quite alright. I must say, that's a really good deal for that lens. I would really love to have one, except I can't find it. sad So if you happen to change your mind, I'm prepared to make it worth your while, ie. over $200.  My email: strangelove369@yahoo.com

Re: Monstrous Lenses

helios wrote:

Ang

Last edited by rashomon (2006-11-22 20:27:13)

24

Re: Monstrous Lenses

I would say the Angenieux and Kinoptik were both good at what they are , cine usage , but I am nto so convinced for their " renounced " performance being used for 35mm or larger format Still Photography. The only Lens that I do find satisfying can be narrowed now to a hand's count ( from this 2 Mfr that is ).

Yes, they made great lens, but I had to say the namesake is a bit overrated !!

Re: Monstrous Lenses

I agree with this, FTL  : C-mount optics are not commonly usable on 35mm cameras . My 90mm Angenieux is a good performer, yet I find that my s-Tak 1,8/85 is better, an the 100 macro-Takumar too, and the 105/2,8 superior . The 135mm is a good one , it give similar results than the Czj 4/135 monocoated version.
I'm convinced however that kinoptik produce(d) one of the bests 100mm ever.

Posts [ 1 to 25 of 37 ]

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply