Topic: Carl Zeiss Jena 50/1.8 Pancolar.

I was doing my regular flea market sweep today and I came upon the same Russian guy who keeps trying to screw people over with broken stuff. Rangefinders with missing RF mirrors, lenses infested with fungus and all that. While asking prices higher than on eBay.

He was pushing me this Praktica PLC3 with a CZJ 50/1.8 Pancolar and I took a look at it. Both had been obviously dropped. The camera was rattling slightly and the self-timer probably had dislocated in the hit.
The lens was pristine. Not a trace of dust/fungus/haze on the lenses. The body, on the other hand, was in very bad shape. Two large-ish dings on the outer cylinder and one on the inner focusing barrel. Focus didn't come closer than about 5 metres because of the dings. Also, the mount part was very shabby.

I haggled it down to about 35

Last edited by Uusilehto (2006-08-13 19:54:30)

Lasse Nylund
Canon EOS 1D, 20D, Sinar Norma 4x5"
35mm: | Vivitar 20/3.8 | 35/2.4 Flektogon | 50/1.7T* Planar | Nikkor-H 85/1.8 | 135/3.5 Sonnar |
LF: GX 90/6.8 Optar | Rodenstock-Ysaron 105/4.5 | SK 121/8 Super-Angulon | 125/6.8 Dagor | GX 135/4.7 Optar | 150/9 Weitwinkel-Dagor | 180/5.6 Symmar | 180/6.8 Dagor | JML Optical 209/8 | SK 210/4.5 Xenar |  240/5.6 Symmar | 360/4.5 Berthiot

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena 50/1.8 Pancolar.

M42 Pancolar helico

There is one big trouble with east German 50mm fast primes - aperture ring. I have the 50/1.8 Pancolar and the aperture ring is touch and go. I have an excellent Pentacon 50/1.8 MC, its aperture ring died and I am not technically minded and if I open the lens I will kill it. Yesterday I had a go at a pre-set 136/2.8 pentacon which is misaligned and has a broken aperture ring. I love the results, optically excellent, mechanically appalling. It is a very good challenge to shoot with a broken lens. I have a whole bunch of 135's but this broken Pentacon makes me try harder. I am not going to have it repaired, it will cost way more than the lens itself. I will continue to use it broken. Enjoy your Pancolar, I have the zebra version. I don't think it is the sharpest tool in the box but I love the colour rendition. Theo

helios wrote:

M42 Pancolar helico

Last edited by Martin (2006-08-14 17:22:22)

Canon EOS 5D, D60, Fujica, Yashica, Praktica, Zenit, Spotmatic and some radioactive lenses...
Does your manual lens fit to your Canon EOS 5D? http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html

I'd never say I can use the Helios-103 and the Rokkor on my Dslr (Pentax *Istd) ... I can only say about these lenses that they are excellent , but results can't be compared only between argentic medias, and are almost a bit subjective ... I could compare the rokkor 1,4/50 with rokkor 1,7/50, 2/45 (astonishing) and M42 on Xe body . At that moment , the lens which gives the bests results on the Istd is the smc-pentax-a 1,4/50 . I made the comparison with a volna 1,8/50 (not so far ...) and a schneider Xenon wich gave a stupendous contrast and very saturated colors. I haven't finish yet to test my whole rane of 50 (same subject, same light, etc...)
Have a tour on my blog www.gdportraits.blogspot.com , you'll see some .

helios wrote:

I'd never say I can use the Helios-103 and the Rokkor on my Dslr (Pentax *Istd) ... I can only say about these lenses that they are excellent , but results can't be compared only between argentic medias, and are almost a bit subjective ... I could compare the rokkor 1,4/50 with rokkor 1,7/50, 2/45 (astonishing) and M42 on Xe body .

It's a pity, I thought, there a some tricky adapters I don't know. After all, yesterday I got a M39 Helios at the D60 and it's lovely...

helios wrote:

At that moment , the lens which gives the bests results on the Istd is the smc-pentax-a 1,4/50 . I made the comparison with a volna 1,8/50 (not so far ...) and a schneider Xenon wich gave a stupendous contrast and very saturated colors. I haven't finish yet to test my whole rane of 50 (same subject, same light, etc...)

That's very interesting, even at my 5D the SMC A 50/1.4 is very good. But it's very difficult to say which 50 is the best one... There are plenty of good ones. My 5D faves at the moment are Fuji 50/1.4, Contax 50/1.4, Yashinon 50/1.4, SMC M 50/1.7 ...

helios wrote:

Have a tour on my blog www.gdportraits.blogspot.com , you'll see some .

I did and its very interesting, thanks for the link!

Last edited by Martin (2006-08-14 18:02:47)

Canon EOS 5D, D60, Fujica, Yashica, Praktica, Zenit, Spotmatic and some radioactive lenses...
Does your manual lens fit to your Canon EOS 5D? http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html

I think the bests 50 are very close each other in terms of color rendition/ saturation, contrast, definition . I agree also for the smc-m 1,7 , and what about the "old" 1,8/55 and 2/55 ? I have pleasure to take pictures with the chinon (and revuenon copy) 1,4/55 , which gives cold tones and high definition. And the numerous versions of helios-44 ! The best for me is the 44-6 .

I shot the Pancolar on a 5D last week, I was quite amazed at it's sharpness, even in the corners.. I had ignored it on my pile of 50s but I'm definitely reconciled with it ! (see my 5D test shots in Gallery)

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

helios wrote:

... and what about the "old" 1,8/55 and 2/55 ?

I have the2/55 and it is quite a gem, I've heard that the 1.8/55 might be  the same construction, but I don't own it. Do you know more?

helios wrote:

I have pleasure to take pictures with the chinon (and revuenon copy) 1,4/55 , which gives cold tones and high definition. And the numerous versions of helios-44 ! The best for me is the 44-6 .

Interesting, I own many Helios types but not this one. Does the lenses back protude as wide as the other Helios types when focussing to infinity? The only one that doesn't collides with the mirror of the 5D is the old Helios 44 without any "M" and not the preset one. The mirror problem unfortunately also exists with the "Porst" labeled Chinon 55/1.4 or the Chinon Macro 50/1.7 that I own.

Last edited by Martin (2006-08-14 19:06:52)

I dont'known , because I haven't yet tested these lenses on the Dslr, exept the helios 44-2 preset which apparently doesnt hit the mirror . I saw and heard plenty of bad things about M42 which hit the mirror on the Canon , but nothing like that about pentax Dslr . So I'd like to test by myself if this problem exists or not on *Istd series.

The mirror thing is just on the 5D really, there is HEAPS of room on the smaller sensors, like the Pentax, crop Canons etc..

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

Posts [ 11 ]

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply