Topic: Canon AL-1, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75/1.5

This is the first roll of film I've shot in quite a while. These were taken with a Carl Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5 mounted on a Canon AL-1, using an Exacta-to-FD adapter. I've wanted to use this lens for a while but my Exacta VX1000 body really needs a CLA. When I found this mount adapter I knew it'd have to give it a try. It's a big, heavy lens but a lot of fun to use.

http://static.flickr.com/57/195607502_34ffbd9c1b.jpg

I confess, I cheated a little on this one and used Noise Ninja to remove some distracting grain in the background.
http://static.flickr.com/74/189866807_057d210df5.jpg

Just mild curve correction on this one.
http://static.flickr.com/65/189866714_1baf3b3685.jpg

Film is Fujicolor Superia 400, expired 10/2005.

Re: Canon AL-1, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75/1.5

Very nice colors; I[m always surprised when people get a good balance out of negative. I tried a few and I had very very little success hmm
Still have a bunch of cheap Superia 200 in the freezer too !

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

Lens looks a peach.

Ben

The results look good. So does the camera with that lens on it. big_smile
-Bruce

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Biotar 75/1.5 is a gem indeed. Very nice, I'm glad to meet another Exakta fan! big_smile

Hi,

Specially like the last shot !

Paul.

D810 + nikkors + czjs + other stuff - A.FIAP

Thanks, guys! Yep, the humble AL-1 looks pretty proud of that glass (except maybe for those ugly purple rubber bits I kludged together.) My late father loved Exacta equipment, and all of my current equipment is from his collection. They're beautiful cameras. I always look forward to using them.

buze wrote:

Very nice colors; I[m always surprised when people get a good balance out of negative. I tried a few and I had very very little success

I allways had trouble with that too sad.
While i've given all that up now i've often thought that placing a grey card in the shot and using the auto white ballance feature in photoshop would do the trick nicely.

Is that really strong astigmatism i can see in photo #3 ?

Currently: EOS 400d, EFs18-55IS, Homemade super macro lens,Pentax K 50/1:1.2 , Canon FD85/1:1.2 (converted to EOS mount), Tamron 500/8 mirror, Canon FD500/4.5L (converted to EOS mount)

Bryan,

I've been wanting to try my CZJ 75/1.5 Biotar on my Canon AE-1 ever since I learned about Canon's Exakta mount adapter.  But of course it is very hard and/or expensive to get one.  Would you mind telling us how you got your adapter and how much it cost you?

Thanks,
John