Topic: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

If I remember correctly this was the lens I preferred to the Kiron 105mm - using it as a 35~135 it's a great lens.. I tried it with a full set of extension tubes, it worked well enough but having to zoom out to 135mm for macro made it front heavy & a wee' bit cumbersome... it weighs about the same as my kiron 105.
this is a wee' wood wasp 20mm+/-... Vicious things now they are dying so this shot was taken well back wink full detail can be seen in this crop in flickr... of course, comments welcome?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8418/29019594440_5aaadc9b28_h.jpgWasp by J H, on Flickr

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

Jim,

A good shot. In fact, so good that I have no hesitation in confirming it as a Common Wasp, Vespula vulgata worker. Wood wasps are a much different shape.

Harold

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

e6filmuser wrote:

Jim,

A good shot. In fact, so good that I have no hesitation in confirming it as a Common Wasp, Vespula vulgata worker. Wood wasps are a much different shape.

Harold

Thanks Harold... been sitting in the sun the past few days... our summer, a bit late but enjoyable'

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

JimH wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Jim,

A good shot. In fact, so good that I have no hesitation in confirming it as a Common Wasp, Vespula vulgata worker. Wood wasps are a much different shape.

Harold

Thanks Harold... been sitting in the sun the past few days... our summer, a bit late but enjoyable'

I sincerely hope you had a camera within reach.

Our first wasp nest of the season only got going in about mid August, still a lot flying in and out.

Harold

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

Excellent sharpness and contrast for a zoom, Jim. Do you recall what aperture you were shooting at?

I've never heard of the brand "Clubman" before. Would you happen to know how that lens might be labeled elsewhere?  I'm thinking that if I came across a copy on US eBay, it might be worth a go.

How do you like it for portrait work in the 85-105 (or so) range?

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

Yes , very sharp , on the eyes of your portrait as it has to be !

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

cooltouch wrote:

Excellent sharpness and contrast for a zoom, Jim. Do you recall what aperture you were shooting at?

I've never heard of the brand "Clubman" before. Would you happen to know how that lens might be labeled elsewhere?  I'm thinking that if I came across a copy on US eBay, it might be worth a go.

How do you like it for portrait work in the 85-105 (or so) range?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you... we've finally have a wee' spell of sunshine.
I'm fairly sure it was f8 to compare it to the vivitar 150mm.
I always thought that the lens was designed by Clubman (US), for the UK market? You have to be careful when buying these lenses though... there are three editions, the latest being very poor in comparison to the earlier ones. I can only go by the Serial numbers... I've kept the four I consider to be the best, all macro lenses... all very well made.
1) 28~70mm     OM   1:3.9-4.8     *55mm   Sr No 8710662
2) 35~135mm   OM   1:3.5-4.5     *58mm   Sr No 020571
3) 28~135mm   OM   1:4-5.5        *67mm   Sr No 86101983
4) 80~200mm   PK  can't find it at the minute?
Every time Brian or I showed the results of a good lens we bought cheaply on ebay... the price shot up... obviously there are dealers combing through the sites, so I doubt you'll find a cheap one (but there again you never know you luck), I'll keep an eye out & mail you if a reasonable one comes up?
I'm not much good at anything other than macro - but it looks as though we might have another reasonably sunny day so I'll try the others if I'm able?
Jim

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

ikonpeter wrote:

Yes , very sharp , on the eyes of your portrait as it has to be !


Thank you Peter.

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

JimH wrote:

I'm not much good at anything other than macro

If you can do macro you can do anything. Walk tall! big_smile

Harold

Re: Clubman 35~135 macro lens

I braved the forces of evil and faced up to a couple of these wee' terrors... hope you all appreciate the fear I had to overcome  lol
Clubman 28~70mm f6'ish ISO 160 1/125sec... sunny... no hood or filter. Original + crop of both.
Hope you like them.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8196/29789648981_7a1700a93f_h.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8493/29245338674_f2fcad3120_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8381/29245341504_0048785471_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5094/29245343024_90424ce563_h.jpgwasp by J H, on Flickr