Topic: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

I recently invested in a Sony A7R body for wide angle and ultra-wide angle, non-macro, photography with my legacy lenses. My 24mm lens is the very bulky and heavy Zuiko 24mm shift lens.  So when I saw this lens  I thought it might be a good substitute, when I did not require shift function, and its close working distance might be useful for close-ups if I did not have my macro lenses with me (unlikely!) or had no time to change lenses.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co … s/24mm.htm

To clarify, it is a Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI. I was awaiting an adapter but found that my Pentax K held the lens but would not lock it on, so that it what I used. As there is a difference of 1mm in registration distance between Nikon and Pentax, the working distance will have been a little different than the nominal.

I obtained one this week and have tried it out at its closest working distance (see above) of 1 foot and at 1.5 feet. The A7R has no IS so I used f11, rather than my customary f16  but expected it to be adequate. I am not looking to get frame-filling macro images but to have reasonable close-ups.

These images are from the first session and have been checked for motion blur. There is a crop from the first one, from the processed image, Ideally the crop would be processed from scratch. There were shot as RAW files in daylight.

Harold


http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/19/1342819.jpg?ts=1472105167

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/20/1342820.jpg?ts=1472105167

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/21/1342821.jpg?ts=1472105167

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

Works fine Harold... the crop shows the lens is very capable... I have the sony N5 but the weather has been so bad this year that I haven't used it.

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

JimH wrote:

Works fine Harold... the crop shows the lens is very capable... I have the sony N5 but the weather has been so bad this year that I haven't used it.


Thanks. Jim.

It took a little bit more processing than some to tease out the detail inside the flower but nothing outside of my usual range.

The proper adapter arrived just before we went out to lunch, and it is raining now, so maybe tomorrow will offer opportunities.

Harold

Last edited by e6filmuser (2016-08-25 14:27:02)

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

Excellent sharpness and contrast, Harold. Looks like you've found a winner. I own a few pre-AI Nikkors, but not a 24mm. Mine are a 35mm f/2, a 50mm f/1.4, a couple of 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkors, and a 105mm f/2.5. They're all excellent optics, so I don't hesitate picking up early Nikkors, especially if they're priced favorably.

I own a 24mm f/2.8 AIs, though, so my 24mm needs are covered. One thing I've noticed about it was that when shooting with my film Nikons, the corners and edges were noticeably less sharp than the center, even at fairly small apertures, say f/5.6 or f/8. Have you noticed that corners and edges are a bit off with your 24mm?

One pre-AI Nikkor that I want to add to my collection one day is the 20mm f/3.5 UD. This lens remains a very popular item on eBay and I've yet to find any good deals on one.

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

Your last image is beautiful  , Harold .
And , maybe , too much yellow in the first one ...

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

cooltouch wrote:

Excellent sharpness and contrast, Harold. Looks like you've found a winner. I own a few pre-AI Nikkors, but not a 24mm. Mine are a 35mm f/2, a 50mm f/1.4, a couple of 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkors, and a 105mm f/2.5. They're all excellent optics, so I don't hesitate picking up early Nikkors, especially if they're priced favorably.

I own a 24mm f/2.8 AIs, though, so my 24mm needs are covered. One thing I've noticed about it was that when shooting with my film Nikons, the corners and edges were noticeably less sharp than the center, even at fairly small apertures, say f/5.6 or f/8. Have you noticed that corners and edges are a bit off with your 24mm?

One pre-AI Nikkor that I want to add to my collection one day is the 20mm f/3.5 UD. This lens remains a very popular item on eBay and I've yet to find any good deals on one.

Thanks, Michael.

I bought it based on a review which said it has exceptional minimum working distance, as well as being very sharp. My subjects are mostly such that edge sharpness is rarely either evident or relevant. For architecture, on the A7R, I would probably use my OM Zuiko 24mm shift. On m4/3 I would use a Lumix G Vario zoom.

Harold

Re: Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI: Close-ups

ikonpeter wrote:

Your last image is beautiful  , Harold .
And , maybe , too much yellow in the first one ...

Thanks, Peter.

The first one is OK for colours but I have upped the contrast. The ivy is a yellow, variegated variety.

Harold