Topic: Voigtlander Brillant

This is the model made for the French market  ( Brillant and not Brilliant ) , with its ever-ready case ( Modèle Déposé graved on the leather ) . It is equipped with a Skopar f 4,5 / 7,5cm and a Compur  1s to 1/300s .
Everything is in perfectly working order and excellent cosmetic except the winding knob that I had   to repair . The lens is clean , the shutter clicks nervously at every speed    and the viewfinder is as new : very , very " brillant "  and without the black corners of the Lubitel . The camera  body is in metal and there is an " automatic " conter : you have not to look with difficulty through a red glass to position the film once the first exposure is well set . I bought this camera on a flea market years ago . I tested it once only but had problems of light leaks due to the winding knob then I forgot it .
In a drawer of our fridge , two weeks ago , I re-discovered  a Scala 120 film ,bought also on a flea market , years ago and I decided to test the fim in the camera . I processed the film as every B&W films inTmax developer .

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-3gNtSqP/0/XL/DSC01661-XL.jpg

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-xgsWKx3/0/XL/DSC01662-XL.jpg

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-h6sjnvf/0/XL/DSC01670-XL.jpg

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-nRJ4zTz/0/XL/DSC01667-XL.jpg

full open , 1/10s
https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-XnZt95j/0/XL/DSC01640-XL.jpg

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/Other/Divers/i-W6MmTqF/0/XL/DSC01643-XL.jpg

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Re: Voigtlander Brillant

Minimal coating...

"That rug really tied the room together."  The Dude

This camera has been built between 1930 and 1935 !
No coating , of course ....

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

That's an interesting post, Peter.

You made me curious. I googled a while and found many interesting websites about the Brillant and it siblings. I am convinced you know that page, but maybe others not: http://voigtlander.pagesperso-orange.fr/cadresA.htm

The "ever ready case" is a brilliant name. It gives you an idea what it ment to be quick ... in the earlies thirties. In comparison to the click, click, click cameras nowadays.

I never used the AGFA Scale - I am an unteachable FP4 and Rodinal perpetrator - how do you toke care about the not fixed sensitivity of the film? Developing time? As far as I can see, you didn't have issues with this film even it was slightly expired.

Your camera looks still great. Minimum age: 80 years. That's a long time ...

The older boy in one of your pictures seems to think: Grandpa and its old cameras ... smile  I am assuming he is one of your grandchilds. If not - sorry ....

Thanks for posting.

Hanoi

Yes , evidently , my grandchildren  are the main subject of my photographic addiction !
I gave   the eldest boy a small electronic camera , so he became very interested and has learnt very quickly to  correctly frame his subject ; he makes good photos  now and he is not too reluctant to be in the picture when I hold a camera . We have also a grand daughter  aged of ten who  likes to take photos and is at a good level with the camera that her father gave her ! 
  The only problem with this camera is to estimate correctly the subject's distance  .  Do not laugh but I use the length of my left arm ( the other arm holds the camera ! ) and I  guesstimate the range between 1 and 1,5m : it   works ... sometimes  ! 
  The pleasure to take photos  with this camera comes from its really very bright viewfinder  and from its zero-delay shutter : you depress the trigger and immediatly the film is exposed .
To process any film with any developer , I use this : www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

ikonpeter wrote:

The only problem with this camera is to estimate correctly the subject's distance  .  Do not laugh but I use the length of my left arm ( the other arm holds the camera ! ) and I  guesstimate the range between 1 and 1,5m : it   works ... sometimes  !

I suggest you get one of those laser measures for DIY (estate agents use them to measure rooms). Not to be pointed at faces!

Harold

When one photographs kids , the  focus is on their faces ,
So I think I better use my little Voigtlander rangefinder that my parents presented to me  with a nice Vito CD camera for   Christmas 1962 !

Nice results! Proof that a Skopar of any age is a great lens.

I'm curious about the Scala development - did you just develop for negatives, or do the whole first-dev, bleach, clear, re-expose, second dev then fix approach, in order to get positives? And is that the process needed for Scala? I know you can develop most old-style cubic grain films for positive that way.

Last edited by SteveFE (2016-04-19 17:13:16)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Steve wrote  " Nice results! Proof that a Skopar of any age is a great lens. "

Thanks Steve , this is exactly what I wanted to show ! 
I was the first to be astonished : I tested this very old camera with an old   film , without any hope  to get this quality of image .
I have no experience of the process to develop the Scala film into a positive slide ,and I am not sure to like a B&W slide . So I processed it like  any B& W film with the Massive dev  chart  : ie 8.5 min at 20C  in Tmax dev (1+4) . As the film was old I used 9 min , The grain of the film is very fine , finer than the Foma 100 .    On Ilford paper  , the enlargements are nice .

You guys are too smart for me! I wonder how you can judge a lens on a scan posted on the internet unless you have (very) low expectations. Yes, a Skopar lens can yield good result, no surprise, you know what (it is a scoop!): It was designed for that! But the conclusion would be similar if it were a Triotar or any other lens (assuming the camera was not butchered).

I only know that the   images  I  have glued in the  photo  book of my grandsons, please   me and   my family .
I 'll use this camera again , it is light and its viewfinder is a pleasure to look through .
You know , photography is a  nice hobby   .

Not exactly what meant your answer to SteveFE... But yes, I agree, photography is a nice hobby regardless your equipment as long as it does not impair critical thinking.