Topic: Exakta IIa + TTL Prisma Harwix + Pancolar 2/50

We had a superb weather , the last week of December ;
This is a cork oak on a hill in front of the bay of Toulon at sunset with Agfa Precisa 100 ISO

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/France/Provence-4/i-FCMkRBc/0/X2/1215-26-X2.jpg

https://ikonpeter.smugmug.com/France/Provence-4/i-dqpr7kw/0/X2/1215-24-X2.jpg

The Pine trees and cork oaks of this hill have burnt in 2003 without any help from the firemen because the  terrain had not been cleaned since 1944 when the Allied Forces bombed heavily the hill ! So for three days we  have seen and heard explosions amidst the flames . Then for 5 or 6 years mine-clearing experts did their job ...
But the cork oaks were still alive  and new Pine  trees are today 2 m high .

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Re: Exakta IIa + TTL Prisma Harwix + Pancolar 2/50

Peter,
I like these pictures. And I even more like that you give some hints or information about the location.

The AGFA is nice, although the original AGFA doesn´t exist anymore. But the new AGFA films are produced on older AGFA machines in England, so far as I know.

Why did the Allied Forces bomb French territorry?

Hanoi

Hanoi wrote:

Why did the Allied Forces bomb French territorry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

The currently available AGFA slide film is rebranded Fuji material, Sensia 100 or Provia 100.

barney,
         thank you for the link to wikipedia.

You are rigth with the rebranded Fuji material. I guess I mistaked this part with Ilford, but not sure.

Hanoi

at Hermann :
The French cities had to pay a high toll to the strategic bombardment ....

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

ikonpeter wrote:

at Hermann :
The French cities had to pay a high toll to the strategic bombardment ....

Yes. Some facts are ... somehow unbelievable.

Was there a special reason why this area hadn't been clean up for such a long time?

BTW: My former manager is from the Netherland, he told me about his parents, still living in Rotterdam, they have been bombarded in 1940 by the Luftwaffe, and in 1943 by the RAF and the US Air Force.

Hanoi

You know, the Petlyakov Pe-2 as the Sturmovik IL-2 , the Stuka and the Junkers JU88 were light tactical bombers which played a very large role on the East front to win every fight .
B-17 , Avro Lancaster and Handley Page Halifax were heavy bombers which played an important role when  they destroyed the oil wells in Ploesti and ball-bearing factories in Schweinfurt ....
The carpet bombings on large cities were  war crimes...

The hills on the photos were the place to install Flak equipment : these places have not been cleaned  but open to the public !
without any damages from the end of the fights until 2003 .
Pure negligence and irresponsibility .

Peter,

I grew up in the late fifties and early sixties in Saarland, where we had a lot of war dependent destructions. It was somehow normal for us. Our prefered playground were bunker from the West Wall. The house next to my parents house stood there destroyed up to 1962. But later, in shool and on television we heard about the destructions by carpet bombings. For me, I understood and I still understand this as reaction of the Nazi terror. As a certain way of justivication.
Then, 5 years ago, I visited Dresden for the first time. On the one hand, I was surprised by its archtektur, the famous buildings and all its famous landmarks. On the other hand, the traces of the bombings are still obviously. Concerning Dresden, the war was already lost, I had the feeling that this was rather a war crime, not really necessary to finally beat Nazi Germany.

But I had to learn that you cannot charge up the war crimes  from one nation against the war crimes  of the other nations.
My hope is Europe, even with all its negative aspects, but better than anything else we had in the past.
You wrote in another post:

ikonpeter wrote:

" So goes the World " Hanoi , I do think it will never change .
We have to be vigilant , we have to never forget History .
We have to stay critic to detect any propaganda from anyone and  from anywhere .
We have to strengthen our Democracy in Europe and keep our eyes wide opened .

And this it what I want to say. But you can it better.

Hanoi

Europe with UK , of course !

ikonpeter wrote:

You know, the Petlyakov Pe-2 as the Sturmovik IL-2 , the Stuka and the Junkers JU88 were light tactical bombers which played a very large role on the East front to win every fight .
B-17 , Avro Lancaster and Handley Page Halifax were heavy bombers which played an important role when  they destroyed the oil wells in Ploesti and ball-bearing factories in Schweinfurt ....
The carpet bombings on large cities were  war crimes...

The hills on the photos were the place to install Flak equipment : these places have not been cleaned  but open to the public !
without any damages from the end of the fights until 2003 .
Pure negligence and irresponsibility .

.....but weren't the British entitled to retaliate for the blitzing of British cities...the tragedy was Caen and Dresden but would have thought for Caen they got permission from De-Gaulle.
Also IIRC Schweinfurt was destroyed by the USAF and in doing so suffered heavy losses.

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

ikonpeter wrote:

Europe with UK , of course !

Of course !!

Europe without UK, is this still Europe?

Hanoi

" Europe , from Atlantic to the Urals "   Général de Gaulle said...

excalibur wrote :
."....but weren't the British entitled to retaliate for the blitzing of British cities...the tragedy was Caen and Dresden but would have thought for Caen they got permission from De-Gaulle.
Also IIRC Schweinfurt was destroyed by the USAF and in doing so suffered heavy losses."

I do not want to analyze the motivations of the belligerents   and still less judge them . I  just want  indicate that the systematic bombing of cties was a stategic   error   :  the  best way to win a war is to kill ennemy soldiers and   destroy their military equipments ; I mean the most economical way in term of losses of soldiers , and equipments  for the attackers .
P 47 and Sturmovik IL-2 have been far more efficient  than heavy bombers .
When Dresden was burnt : the military effect has been  " nil "
Thousands of American and British bombers have been shot down  along the war with a far less military efficiency .

I would like to share with you the thoughts of Albert Camus through this article of Robert Zaretsky 

I feel this thoughts  could be useful to the understanding of History and to humanize our future :

Sixty years ago today, Albert Camus gave the speech of his life. It was a speech, in fact, that nearly cost him his life, as well as one that failed in its goal of saving the lives of countless civilians, Arabs and French alike, caught in the vise of terrorism employed by both sides in Algeria’s war of independence. The reasoning behind the speech, as well as the reasons Camus gave it, cast important light on the “war on terror” now being fought in the West.
For Camus, true rebellion entails great tension. It holds fast to the moral center, resisting oppression while resisting one’s own tendency to oppress.
By early 1956, the war between Algeria’s nationalist movement, the National Liberation Front (the F.L.N.), and the French military had spiraled into mutual butcheries and bloodbaths — from the slaughter of the French colonist population (the “pied-noir”) of Philippeville, where more than 100 men, women and children were hacked to pieces by their Arab neighbors, to the policy of “collective responsibility,” the indiscriminate killing of Arab men, women and children by French soldiers and civilian militias. It was not just Algerians, but Algeria itself, that, in Camus’s words, was dying.
For this reason, on a Sunday afternoon, Jan. 22, shortly after 4 o’clock, a taut and nervous Camus stepped to the podium at the Cercle du Progrès, a Muslim-owned building in the center of Algiers. Born and raised in a working-class neighborhood of Algiers, Camus straddled two dramatically different worlds. There was, on the one hand, his visceral attachment to the people and places of French Algeria; on the other hand, he had an equally fierce commitment to the French republican ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity. First as a muckraking journalist, then as a novelist and essayist whose career would soon be crowned with the Nobel Prize in Literature, Camus fought for the extension of these ideals to the eight million Arabs and Berbers living under French rule. Unlike many fellow pieds-noirs, Camus was horrified by the brutal history of de jure and de facto discrimination against the Arabs and Berbers. Clinging to the hope that “French Algeria” could remain French while becoming fully democratic, Camus insisted that the pieds-noirs and Arabs were “condemned to live together.”
By 1956, however, Camus had come to fear they were instead condemned to kill one another. The prospect of unending bloodshed, fueled by acts of terrorism against the civilian populations, was a nearly unbearable burden. Algeria, he told a friend, was “wedged in my throat.” With equal doses of daring and desperation, in late 1955 Camus wrote a series of editorials in the magazine L’Express arguing for a civilian truce. A treaty between Paris and the F.L.N., Camus allowed, seemed impossible: The violent were carrying it away. But could not both sides at least agree to spare civilians? If not, he wrote: “Algeria will be populated solely by murderers and victims. Only the dead will be innocent.” Aware that it was all too easy to prod and push from distant Paris, Camus decided to speak publicly, at great personal risk, on this initiative in his native Algiers.
Photo
Albert Camus
Albert CamusCredit Kurt Hutton/Getty Images
Algiers, in turn, was waiting: An audience of 1,500 men and women — French and Muslim, intellectuals and shopkeepers — had filled the hall and spilled into the staircases and adjoining rooms. The atmosphere was tense and febrile, especially as a menacing crowd of French colonists opposed to the meeting was massed outside the building. Camus told the audience that it was his duty, both as a French Algerian and a writer, “to make a simple appeal to your humanity.” Returning to an initiative he had first revealed in L’Express magazine, Camus proposed that the F.L.N. and French authorities agree to a “civilian truce.” Looking around the hall, Camus declared that he had not come to ask that his listeners “relinquish any of their conviction.” Regardless of the ideological, political and historical causes at stake, he continued, “no cause justifies the deaths of innocent people.” Camus insisted he had no illusions: resolving the “present situation” was beyond his means. Instead, he urged his listeners “to renounce what makes this situation unforgivable, namely, the slaughter of the innocent.”
Yet the slaughter of the innocent continued for another six years. Even as Camus spoke, the crowd outside, furious at his “betrayal” of French Algeria, screamed for his lynching. Refusing to leave the hall until he finished, Camus was then hustled to safety by his friends.
In the following days and weeks, Camus found that his speech had influenced neither side. He never again spoke publicly about Algeria — a silence sealed by his death in a car accident in 1960 — and terror remained the order of the day in his native country until the signing of the Evian peace accords between France and the F.L.N. in 1962.
Reaction, like revolution, comes easily. Both scorn limits, and instead embrace extremes.
Of what possible relevance could Camus’s speech have for us today? Not only had it failed in its immediate goal, but the character of terrorism then and now seem utterly different. To an important degree, the F.L.N.’s use of terror was tactical: Through their bombings and massacres, the movement sought to spur French repression and thus radicalize their fellow Arabs and Berbers. They also wanted to demoralize the pied-noir community, making clear that they had no future in Algeria. Once their objectives were achieved, the F.L.N. ended their campaign of terror against the French (though they continued to terrorize their own citizens). As for the French, their use of terrorism (and torture) also came to an end (though diehards of French Algeria tried repeatedly to assassinate Charles de Gaulle).
The Islamic State jihadists who murdered 130 civilians in Paris on Nov. 13, however, are not terror tacticians. Of course, acts of terrorism are a potent recruitment tool for the Islamic State. But for many of the young men and women, born in the disaffected and distant suburbs of Paris and Brussels, the opportunity to wreak terror does not have a great deal to do with either French airstrikes in Syria or the dreams of creating a caliphate stretching from the Middle East to the Balkans. Instead, it may well be an act of simple nihilism and, as such, an end in itself.
Camus knew, of course, that his moral imperative — to save innocent lives — had no more traction than does a delegation of Girl Scouts with nihilists. But the black-clad terrorists of the Islamic State were not his audience: We are. Camus recognized that violence was inextricably woven into the fabric of everyday life. Though a pacifist, he also knew violence was, at critical moments, essential if we were to hold onto our humanity. This was the case with Hitler’s Germany — it’s defeat required violence on a massive scale — and the reason for his engagement with the Resistance. (By the time of Paris’s liberation in 1944, Camus was the editor of the most influential clandestine journal, Combat, and the face not just of French existentialism but of the French Resistance as well.) Addressing in 1943 an imaginary German friend, who by embracing the Nazis has also embraced nihilism, Camus remarks that it is easy “to do violence when it is more natural to you than thinking.” It is a much greater effort, however, “to fight while despising war.”
NOW IN PRINT
The Stone Reader: Modern Philosophy in 133 Arguments
The Stone Reader
An anthology of essays from The Times’s philosophy series, published by Liveright.
With sobering clarity, Camus saw how easily we lose our own humanity at such moments. In his book-length essay “The Rebel,” in which he sought to establish a vital distinction between rebellion and revolution, he wrote that while killing others is at times inescapable, it must never become legitimate. The true rebel, while insisting on her humanity, never loses sight of the humanity of others. She resists not only her oppressors’ efforts to dehumanize her, but also her own reflex to dehumanize them in turn. Reaction, like revolution, comes easily. Both scorn limits, and instead embrace extremes. On the other hand, rebellion is, for Camus, “nothing but pure tension.” As he wrote in a L’Express editorial, it is natural that the oppressed, whether the French under the Nazis or the Algerian Arabs under the French, take up arms in the name of justice. But just as “one must never cease to demand justice for the oppressed, there are limits beyond which one cannot approve of the injustice committed in their name.”
For Camus, true rebellion entails great tension. It holds fast to the moral center, resisting those who seek to oppress oneself all the while resisting one’s own tendency to oppress in turn. While it is a nearly impossible balance to maintain, we must commit ourselves, not unlike Sisyphus does to his task, of always and already making it ours.
Though at first glance paradoxical, rebellion represents our best chance of holding onto our humanity. Political language on both sides of the Atlantic repeatedly dehumanizes not just our true opponents, but entire peoples who share the same religion. To describe the growing and desperate wave of Syrian refugees as “invaders” or “vermin,” or to refer to Muslims praying in the streets of Paris as “occupiers”; to speak glibly about carpet-bombing Islamic State-occupied cities or to bomb these areas until the sand glows at night; to declare all Muslim immigrants to our country as persona non grata or propose that we kill those related to Islamic State killers means that we have violated the limits of resistance against inhuman actions set out by Camus.
Camus would immediately recognize the Islamic State as an enemy as loathsome and nihilistic as Nazism, and one that we must combat with violence. But at the same time, he would warn us not to lose recognition of who we are and why we are fighting. At the end of “The Rebel,” he wrote that the rebel’s logic is “to serve justice so as not to add to the injustice of the human condition [and] to insist on plain language so as not to increase a world of lies.”
How absurd, on the one hand, to think it should be otherwise; how absurd, on the other, to think it could be other than how it now is. While this tension ultimately reduced Camus to silence, perhaps it can now spur those who seek to govern us to reflect on the true imperatives of justice and consider the real-life implications of the words they choose and use.
Robert Zaretsky is author of “Albert Camus: Elements of a Life,” “A Life Worth Living: Albert Camus and the Quest for Meaning” and most recently, “Boswell’s Enlightenment.”

Wow Ikonpeter I read it once but will have to read it several times......but systematic bombings of cities might have been a error in WW2 in that the infra structure should have been attacked but the principle of bombing cities works...... in that it ended the war with Japan quickly and has kept the peace since with nuclear weapons and mutual destruction of cities.
And there can never be a future war between France and Germany while France has nuclear weapons.

With the bombing of Dresden and trying to find a sensible answer:-  was it to show Stalin "don't think of invading all of Europe as this is a sample of what you are up against and the allies can reduce Moscow to rubble".
Churchill later realised it was a mistake and tried to distance himself from it and to pass the buck.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-01-23 10:32:31)

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92

About Dresden , the  bombing   has been scheduled the week before the Yalta meeting but the bad weather did not allowed the mission . I think , as you , that the political aim was to impress Stalin ...

Before the 6th of August , hundreds of B-29 has yet reduced many Japanese cities into ashes ...

About Nuclear weapons , as you probably know , their use is mad  and  MAD  - Mutual Assured Destruction !
This  topic  is out of all rationality and humanity

ikonpeter wrote:

About Dresden , the  bombing   has been scheduled the week before the Yalta meeting but the bad weather did not allowed the mission . I think , as you , that the political aim was to impress Stalin ...

Before the 6th of August , hundreds of B-29 has yet reduced many Japanese cities into ashes ...

..and yet just two more cities and Japan surrendered, I suppose the US could have nuked a small un-inhabitated island nearby and that might have peruaded the Japanese to surrender....anyway a conversation with "ifs" could last years smile
All interesting and am sure you would liked to steer it all back to photography.

excalibur wrote:

... And there can never be a future war between France and Germany while France has nuclear weapons.

Allow me say, there can never be a future war between France and Germany while there is a friendship, a real understanding of each other, between France and Germany.
I don't want to understand the current peacefull agreement between these two nations as a result of the France's nuclear weapons. I am convinced that French and German Politicans on the one side, and the French and German people on the other side, are living together in Europe with respect and affection for each other.

I like it to say: "... oh these damn French" when the national football teams play against during a World cup or European champion chip. So should it be. But nevertheless, I am full of admiration for Thierry Henry, Zinedine Zidane or David Trezeguet.

Hanoi

Peter,

I am still reading your topic about Camus. It is not so easy to understand everything at the first glance. I have to translate many words for the first time. My informatic shaped English is by far not good enough to understand everything by one time reading.

I read some books of Camus in the past, I read a lot of storyies about his rivalry to Sadre, but what you posted is new for me.

Hanoi

excalibur wrote:
... And there can never be a future war between France and Germany while France has nuclear weapons.

Excalibur , I don't want to provoke you : what would you think if I write :

' and there can never be a future war between England and Scotland while England has nuclear weapons " !!!!!!

ikonpeter wrote:

excalibur wrote:

Excalibur , I don't want to provoke you : what would you think if I write :

' and there can never be a future war between England and Scotland while England has nuclear weapons " !!!!!!

H'mm a thought...I suppose if Scotland had complete seperation from England (like some want) and a rogue government with supporting military fanatics somehow obtained nuclear weapons and proof that a missille was sent from Scotland that destroyed London ......then anything is possible for a war....a good story for fiction writers.
But Ikonpeter I'm not an expert on "what could happen" and try to use commonsense and history for my views and they (my views) might not be challenging enough for you...but history shows mainland Europe hasn't been a very peaceful  place in recent history and my view is:- while there are borders and different languages and cultures there is potential for conflict in the future (unthinkeable now) and France (you don't need the UK) can be a stabiliser with nukes to threaten any country (as a last resort) that would start a serious conventional war, France's position would be very important if the US retreats back into isolation....of course if any other country in Europe obtained nukes then it's all hopeless, and then who controls France if the country goes rogue.
If you have watched the film "the day the earth stood still" an alien force had the power to enforce peace on earth, fiction yes but how do you get humans to live with one another with no wars...and of course it's going way off topic from photography.

Last edited by excalibur (2016-01-24 10:50:47)

Hermann ,

My aeronautical English is far from the language of this high level intellectual who wrote  his topic about Albert Camus  in the New York Times  2 days ago 
  The essential idea is :  if you have to kill for a right cause , you have   to spare the life  of innocents ( chidren and women ) .
   No cause is worth the death of innocents .
   If you do so , you loose your humanity ...
    His rivalry with Sartre comes from this humanist idea which condemns Communist and fascist governments
   I approve this idea of Camus in part because I  was born in Algiers : if you read  his  unfinished final novel " The  First Man " "Der erste Mensch "  you 'll understand where he comes from . This is a masterpiece and for me it brought me back into the place where  I have been living for 16 years ( very moving ) .

Excalibur ,

I believe ( and hope ) that Europe (with UK) is ripe for union and peace between the different countries   of our continent ; Nukes or not . That looks evident for me when I am outside of Europe .

But , of course , this will not be the end of wars , from  or to the outer world ; Nukes could detter these assaillants .

Peter,
   thank you for your explanations.

These helped a lot to understand what the article is talking about.

By Camus, I read: "Der Fremde" and "Die Pest". I remember, I liked them.

I was curious the book you mentioned. Nowadays it isn't too difficult to find some information about a certain book. What I read was very interesting, at the end of the day I ordered it. I read, Camus had the manuscript for this book in his pocket when he died after the car accident.

A couple of month ago, I had to travel for the company to Jena, 600 km away from Bavarian. I heard a certain radio station, called "culture radio" No music, only news and culture contributions.
This morning, from 9:00 thru 12:00, the program was about Camus and Sartre. Very detailed information, and very excited reported. I had the entire day this program in mind, somehow it was bothering me. Always that only picture I know from Camus in my mind, that picture with the cigarette in his mouth, somehow in Paris. I am convinced you know which picture  I mean.

BTW, please don't take it too seriously what I posted yesterday about the football games. I am working in a international company, with a lot of colleagues from UK, USA and France. During the normal schedule we do not realize that we are from different nations.
But this changes when there are intenational champion chips. My colleagues from France are most enthusiastic, and you may imagine what discussions we have when France plays agains Allemagne. This is soo much fun, we all like it. The defamatory words from my UK colleagues about the German team are sometimes music in my ears.

What I want to say is, no one from us can imagine that there ever will be something like a war between our European nations. We belong somehow together, even we have difficulties because of different languages and different culture. But we are talking about that, we are discussion our misunderstandings, every day.

Hanoi

ikonpeter wrote:

Excalibur ,

I believe ( and hope ) that Europe (with UK) is ripe for union and peace between the different countries   of our continent ; Nukes or not . That looks evident for me when I am outside of Europe .

But , of course , this will not be the end of wars , from  or to the outer world ; Nukes could detter these assaillants .

Well let's hope the Balkan small war with genocide is the last.

****words from my UK colleagues about the German team are sometimes music in my ears***

...and the Scots annoy the English by many supporting Germany against England at football and not only that, as the Scots have been allies with the French since about the 13th century would rather support France.