Topic: Focusing screens???

I was about to change out my focusing screen on my Canon 40D from the standard matte to a grid... but I have two screens in my camera... I don't see the point of changing out one without the other. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the screen nearest the prism is called... I can't find any information relating to it?? I've re-assembled the focusing screens as they were for the time being.
Appreciate your help
Jim

Last edited by JimH (2014-03-20 15:14:04)

Re: Focusing screens???

You probably mean that you have 2 screens in your camera (and not in your lens ) instead of 1 in most cameras . The lower (nearest the mirror ) should be a planoconvex lens , in consequence of this the image appears bright right into the corners , the upper ( nearest the prism ) should be a ground glass screen where the image from the lens "appears" . This is pure speculation as I don't know this camera....

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Re: Focusing screens???

ikonpeter wrote:

You probably mean that you have 2 screens in your camera (and not in your lens ) instead of 1 in most cameras . The lower (nearest the mirror ) should be a planoconvex lens , in consequence of this the image appears bright right into the corners , the upper ( nearest the prism ) should be a ground glass screen where the image from the lens "appears" . This is pure speculation as I don't know this camera....

Thanks Peter... I've corrected my post.
I've been through my manual & there is no mention of there being two screens, even in the spares they only list Ef-A, Ef-D, Ef-S 
It's been so long (years), since I've been on the Canon forum that I can't remember my login details to ask the experts... doh! I'll try using my email address, but again, I'm sure we changed our internet provider so it might prove to be fun... oooh dear!

Re: Focusing screens???

JimH wrote:
ikonpeter wrote:

You probably mean that you have 2 screens in your camera (and not in your lens ) instead of 1 in most cameras . The lower (nearest the mirror ) should be a planoconvex lens , in consequence of this the image appears bright right into the corners , the upper ( nearest the prism ) should be a ground glass screen where the image from the lens "appears" . This is pure speculation as I don't know this camera....

Thanks Peter... I've corrected my post.
I've been through my manual & there is no mention of there being two screens, even in the spares they only list Ef-A, Ef-D, Ef-S 
It's been so long (years), since I've been on the Canon forum that I can't remember my login details to ask the experts... doh! I'll try using my email address, but again, I'm sure we changed our internet provider so it might prove to be fun... oooh dear!

Well, it was my current email address & I did get into the Canon site... no help whatsoever!! I then tried the help phone number... where I was informed had been changed (the recorded voice spoke so fast I had to phone 3 times to get the new number)... tried the new helpline & finally got hold of an engineer... yipee!!! eeerm, no... after 15 minutes of waiting he finally came back to inform me that he "thinks" there is only one screen? I explained that I bought the camera new from Jessops & could assure him that there are two screens., he said he'd find out for sure & call me back... I'm just bursting with excitement at when it will happen... I won't hold my breath?

Re: Focusing screens???

I've found a link clearly showing 2 screens.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E … HRU-LG.JPG

Well, he did get back to me & insists that there is just one screen... all he could do was to send me a link to a video showing how to change it out... ooooh... the joy!!!!

Last edited by JimH (2014-03-20 16:26:40)

Re: Focusing screens???

Which screen did you end up with?

I switched out the matte screen to a EE-S on my Pentax K5 and love the DOF that it gives.  Sure it's a bit darker but I got used to it.

K5 & Vivitar x [200 3.5 (Komine) M42 * Series 1 70-210 3.5 Macro M42 (Kiron) * 55 2.8 Macro M42 (Komine) * Series 1 105 2.5 Macro] \ Sears x [135 2.8 Macro * 55 2.8 Macro M42 * 28 2.8 Macro] \ Sigma x [17-70 2.8-4 Macro * 50 2.8 Macro] \ Tair-3 4,5/300A (1973) M42 \ Lester Dine (Kiron) 105 2.8 Macro \ Pentax x [SMC A 35-105 3.5 Macro * DA*60-250 4]

Re: Focusing screens???

I believe the single screen in question is closest to the mirror and would be flat in shape and be either fresnel, ground or matte. Above it which is a integral with prism would be a flat bottomed plano convex lens(not screen). Hope this helps. The Plano Convex is not interchangeable it's part of the prism group.

meniscus

Re: Focusing screens???

This single screen closest to the prism is just a piece of plastics which provides for the illumination of the 9 red AF indicators.
see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27215069@N07/4718454727/

Re: Focusing screens???

barney wrote:

This single screen closest to the prism is just a piece of plastics which provides for the illumination of the 9 red AF indicators.
see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27215069@N07/4718454727/

Somehow I missed your post barney & your's meniscus, my apologies for not replying... I went & bought a Nex 5 a couple of weeks ago as my 40D has lain in the cupboard for months because it's virtually impossible to focus.
Where did you buy the SI plate barney? I can get one from the USA or Russia... I've given up with Canon uk... 
Thank you
Jim

I ordered one from Russia... hopefully it'll arrive soon.
Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by JimH (2014-12-30 10:53:33)

Re: Focusing screens???

JimH wrote:
barney wrote:

This single screen closest to the prism is just a piece of plastics which provides for the illumination of the 9 red AF indicators.
see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27215069@N07/4718454727/

Somehow I missed your post barney & your's meniscus, my apologies for not replying... I went & bought a Nex 5 a couple of weeks ago as my 40D has lain in the cupboard for months because it's virtually impossible to focus.
Where did you buy the SI plate barney? I can get one from the USA or Russia... I've given up with Canon uk... 
Thank you
Jim

I ordered one from Russia... hopefully it'll arrive soon.
Thank you all for your help.

I  don't mean at all to sound   talking down.   But you do know ?   about using  live and magnified live view on the 40D?   Seems to me this is not much different than using   a NEX

Re: Focusing screens???

440roadrunner wrote:
JimH wrote:
barney wrote:

This single screen closest to the prism is just a piece of plastics which provides for the illumination of the 9 red AF indicators.
see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27215069@N07/4718454727/

Somehow I missed your post barney & your's meniscus, my apologies for not replying... I went & bought a Nex 5 a couple of weeks ago as my 40D has lain in the cupboard for months because it's virtually impossible to focus.
Where did you buy the SI plate barney? I can get one from the USA or Russia... I've given up with Canon uk... 
Thank you
Jim

I ordered one from Russia... hopefully it'll arrive soon.
Thank you all for your help.

I  don't mean at all to sound   talking down.   But you do know ?   about using  live and magnified live view on the 40D?   Seems to me this is not much different than using   a NEX

Yes, Roadrunner., but it's a bit frustrating for folks like me who are a bit banged up & have very restricted movement in their neck & spine. To be honest I am pleasantly surprised with the wee' nex... Having the tilt touch screen is an absolute boon, I'm housebound over the winter months & have been enjoying trying out my 28 to 135mm lenses (they rarely see the light of day). At the minute I only have praise the wee' thing.

Re: Focusing screens???

I   STILL have  not sprung for a NEX.    I  too  am pretty  "banged up."   My  arthritic related problems  are  more and more  slowing me down.    Just being awake hurts.

Re: Focusing screens???

440roadrunner wrote:

I   STILL have  not sprung for a NEX.    I  too  am pretty  "banged up."   My  arthritic related problems  are  more and more  slowing me down.    Just being awake hurts.

I can recommend the nex, especially if you are struggling with painful arthritis, it's so easy to use. I used longer lenses in the past for no other reason than I can handle them easier... I actually gave away small lenses because I found them too awkward to use. When mounted on a tripod and as long as I use the remote (no dangling wires), I can even use 300mm lenses.
Here's an example... yes, more tree's, it's the scene I look at all winter... I'm going to buy a onesie thermal suit to see if I can get out on my scooter to look at something different...  lol
Both shots out a double glazed window.

28mm OM Hoya, I've nearly got the colours right & just about in focus. the centre tree is where the pigeons landed.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/15706096333_216af40acf_b.jpg

300mm FD Tokina... believe me, this tree is a real stretch to focus using the best of af lenses from the bottom of my garden, this shot is from inside my house (50ft+ further back).

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7546/15703581584_40e4e92366_b.jpg