Topic: I'm still alive says Sandeep

Hey gang, any old timers from the early days of the Manual Focus Forum still around?

I've been away for a couple of years, thought I would drop by and say hi.

After my initial dip into mirrorless world after ditching my EOS system for the Olympus micro 4/3 system and really liking mirrorless I then moved on to the Fuji X-E1 that I have now been using for a few years. Love it.

Current manual focus lenses that I use regularly include:
Samyang 8mm fisheye (the small one designed for the Fuji X mount)
Canon FDn 50mm f1.4
Tamron Adaptall 90mm f2.5 52BB
Konica Hexanon 135mm f3.2

AF lenses include:
Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4
Fuji 27mm f2.8

A few of my favourites from the past year:

Fuji X-E1, Samyang 8mm
http://www.tulwar.com/imagehost/Samyang8mm_carbide1.jpg

Fuji X-E1, Hexanon 135mm f3.2
http://www.tulwar.com/imagehost/winter_201312_1.jpg

and an AF one with the Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4
http://www.tulwar.com/imagehost/winter_201312_2.jpg

Re: I'm still alive says Sandeep

Sandeep wrote:

Hey gang, any old timers from the early days of the Manual Focus Forum still around? ...

Old timers, that sounds great!

I guess everybody from the old timers is missing you!

I didn't move to the Fuji systems, I addded it. (I miss the Gene that is responsible for selling items from my gear, unfortunately)  The X-E2 with the 27mm, it is a dream of compactness by maximum image quality. Your copies are an excellent example.

I can remember to read contributions from your side very often, nearly daily, 6 ... 8  years ago. To this time this forum was highly frequented.

Hanoi

It is good to see you back , Sandeep !...
...with a new equipment and nice pictures .

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Still around! Good to see you, and seconded on the nice gear and pics.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Sandeep wrote:

Hey gang, any old timers from the early days of the Manual Focus Forum still around?

I think so. Hi Sandeep. smile I still have my Canon gear, but also have a neat little Sony NEX. wink

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Great to hear from some of the 'old timers', brings back some good memories, for example those fascinating slide film images from around the world from ikonpeter's travels during his military days.

Is our fashion photographer from Talin, Graham still around? I wonder what he's shooting with these days, I remember he was experimenting with Rollei medium format with a digital back last time I was here years ago.

I saw a message from Graham somewhere. He's just busy with work and still posts occasionally.

I think the various forums ebb and flow. I've found Flickr's slowed down a bit too since Yahoo started screwing around with it and making it not exactly difficult, but less convenient to use the forums. I found a nice friendly vintage camera collectors' group on Facebook though, which is pretty active. Facebook's still a waste of time for serious photo sharing though. As much as Yahoo have tried to screw Flickr, it's still the best for that.

Last edited by SteveFE (2014-03-28 18:14:32)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!

What about our Italian Stallion Bruno, he always had nice pics of his lady friends.

Sandeep wrote:

What about our Italian Stallion Bruno, he always had nice pics of his lady friends.

Yes he did, but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Nice to see some of the old members still around, I must admit I don't visit too often now. I still do a little bit with manual lenses although I only have a couple of the old Pentax K lenses now. The trouble is I'm getting old and lazy and manual focussing with old eyes isn't so easy as it used to be.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Hey ramon, are you still buying and selling stuff? I remember getting my first Flektogon off you years ago! (I swapped it out with a friend for another lens as I'd found an even nicer one for a stupidly low price I couldn't resist, and rather than having two with one gathering dust, I wanted the first one to be used).

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Hi Steve, I've lost count of the number of Flektogons that have passed through my hands, I do remember selling you that one though. ( I don't even have one myself now)

I don't buy and sell as much as I used to. Nowadays I tend to buy a lens just to try it for myself and then sell it on once the novelty wears off. I rarely make a profit out of it but I get the enjoyment of trying out something different. The only trouble is that my hard drive is getting full of test pictures and I don't often get around to taking normal photos.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Hi Sandeep,

Good to hear from you again, and a pleasure to see your very attractive work on show!

I occasionally drop in here now and again, and have also gone mirrorless with a Sony NEX 6  which I love. Not so keen on the Sony lenses however, but the EVF on the 6 makes focusing old glass a dream, either using contrast detect or 10x magnified view.  Were I to buy new again I might be tempted by the Fuji, the lenses have a good reputation.

I learned a great deal from this forum, and have since moved on to selling stock - a fool's errand but it keeps me out of mischief.

Kind regards

Bryan

Currently using Canon 5DII and NEX 6 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Hello Bryan ,

I also learned a lot from your post  :  I intend to buy a Nex 6 and you just gave me the most important , your appreciation of its EVF !   
Thanks

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Hi Bryan, I take it you are still cycling along? Good to hear from all of you guys. smile

ikonpeter wrote:

Hello Bryan ,

I also learned a lot from your post  :  I intend to buy a Nex 6 and you just gave me the most important , your appreciation of its EVF !   
Thanks

Thanks Pierre, good to hear from you. A couple of points : -

The bundled 16-50 lens is not atrocious, quite sharp even to the edges, but lacking contrast and "bite" throughout the range and there's a lot of distortion at the limits. I occasionally use it, especially when cycling (it's so small and light) or I feel the need for an image stabilised lens. For what it does it's a miracle of modern technology, but you can get much better results from old glass if you have the time to focus etc.

I lost the eyepiece shield. It fell off somewhere and it wasn't until later that I noticed it had gone. They're quite expensive for what they are so you might consider a drop of glue to hold it in position.

The EVF is very good, and I use both contrast detect and 10x magnification. I think that you are aware that if the contrast detect is turned up too high you get false positives or large areas of the view obscured, so I use the minimum setting, which of course means that it won't function for low contrast scenes. That's where the 10x comes in to play.

Bryan

Last edited by Wheelman (2014-04-02 13:58:21)

Currently using Canon 5DII and NEX 6 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Ballen Photo wrote:

Hi Bryan, I take it you are still cycling along? Good to hear from all of you guys. smile

Hi Bruce

Yes, a bit like old times!

I still cycle, but having retired from full time work 4 years ago, the bike does not get quite as much use as when I commuted by cycle.

Here's the proof

Best wishes

Bryan

Photo Blog

Wheelman wrote:
Ballen Photo wrote:

Hi Bruce

Yes, a bit like old times!

I still cycle, but having retired from full time work 4 years ago, the bike does not get quite as much use as when I commuted by cycle.

Here's the proof

Best wishes

Bryan

Yeah, Here we are some eight odd years later with a lot of us moving on to other interests, but it is nice to see how many of us are still around.
A special thanks to Sandeep for starting this thread. smile
I hope this finds everybody doing well.

Great to see the forum back up and running again, and to a couple of "familiar faces" once more!

sting! Good to see you! Still at Olympus Ireland? I finally bowed to the inevitable and now have not one, but two OM1s, and nice 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and 1.8, 135/2.8 and 3.5 and 200/4 Zuikos to match :-)

Last edited by SteveFE (2014-12-21 13:21:21)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3