Topic: Where is everyone?

I guess everybody got some new AF glass for Christmas.. Miss seeing the traffic here. Some of you guys get out there and post a few pictures or tell us about your favorite old lens! (-:}

Re: Where is everyone?

arlon wrote:

I guess everybody got some new AF glass for Christmas.. Miss seeing the traffic here. Some of you guys get out there and post a few pictures or tell us about your favorite old lens! (-:}

Well I love my Sigma 24mm superwide II on film and it would be interesting if anyone has compared it for distortion, sharpness etc to Nikon, Canon etc 24mmms

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

I guess not having new blood slows things down. Newest member registered more than a year ago....
Spambots are to blame....

Mark.
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II // Canon EOS 350D // Leica R7 // Bronica SQ-B // Olympus 35SP // Olympus XA
Lenslist: click

I am still testing a bit with a Sigma 28mm 1.8 AF lens. Found it in a shrift shop for € 5,=. Fully working on my KM5D. So no expensive new purchase, but fun to play with. No hood yet, but you cannot have them all for that money!

well, happy shooting with my school of MF lens; but the real deal around now is testing those new bodies around, tough to choose from, so many of them and so much possibilities. The Nikon 1 really surprise me for what it can do.

Since I got the Leica M8 with the set of Voigtländer lenses I have shot more than posted here. wink
Naaah, not really true. I haven't shot that much either, too much work. But it will get better soon.

I received a Nikon D3100 recently and really, really like that little gem. It's just not that good for MF lenses, though.

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

Hey, there!

Long time no post smile, so might as well use this excuse...

Lucispictor: One hint that may be of interest to you (not sure if you're aware of this tongue): Just as my D40, the D3100 is (unlike what is stated in its user manual) compatible with pre-AI Nikkor glass.

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum sometime ago. The question is the tab wich signals the camera that original AF lenses are set to minimum aperture: On higher grade cameras (D70 and up) it's a straight tab wich moves sideways, pushed by the lense's ring. On D40-series cameras, that tab is slanted, and goes inside the body as it is pushed by the ring.

So, if you mount a pre-AI lens in one of these, the tab just goes inside the body and that's it big_smile.

Had a play with a friend's D3100 a couple of years ago. Had just gotten my hands in some pre-AI glass (namely a 24-2,8 and a 50 1,4 S.C.) and did some short films of my kid. NICE!!!

So, if you have some pre-AI glass in the back of the cupboard you've never played much with, now is the time!

Let us know how it turns out.

Hope this helps (you or anyone else, here)!

Cheers!

Last edited by glimavitor (2013-01-27 09:50:12)

Nikon: D7000; F2; F4; FA. RMC Tokina 17/3,5; Ensinor 24/2,8 Macro; Nikkor: S.C. 50/1,4; AI-s 28/2,8; Micro 55/2,8; 80-200/4; S. E: 35/2,5; 100/2,8; Viv. S. 1 105/2,5 Macro (Kiron); MC Rokkor PG 58/1,2; Canon FD 300/4; Pentacon 135/2,8.
Pentax: K20D; CZJ Flek 20/4; SMC Pentax: A 28/2,8; 50/1,7; M 50/1,4; Tak. 50/1,4; Tamron Adall 2: SP 90/2,5 Macro; SP 60-300; 35-70/3,5 CF; .
And some others...

Anyone getting any winter pictures worth posting? I'm stuck in West Texas and haven't seen a single snow flake this year. Had knee surgery a few weeks ago hoping to get back to 110% by spring but not doing much right now other than some macro shots in the back yard.

Yes, I know about the comaptibility with Pre-AI lenses. Thanks, anyway.

The reason why I do not like the D3100 that much for MF lenses is that it doesn't meter with them and the viewfinder is tiny (compared to what my other cams offer me).

However, I kind of fell in love with that baby. It's small, lightweight and still feels solid and endurable. It reacts swiftly and gives great results even at high ISOs.

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

I am caught in life... I haven't shot anything interesting in over a year I think, much less frequent this board. And I have been tempted by some AF lenses lately... Miss you guys!

Last edited by al (2013-02-08 00:19:44)

'Life' about sums things up!  But also the darkroom.  Spent what must be well over a year putting together a darkroom for black and white up to 10x8... still into old lenses, but the old brass kind.  Got a nex 5n in the sales in January which opens up a whole new world of lenses....

And what if reality dissolved before our very eyes?

Got heavily into Canon auto focus, couldn't get away with MF glass on my DSLRs, and then got hooked by the challenge of stock photography. Still doing the latter, but now with a NEX I am back to using MF at least some of the time.

This is a great forum, it helped me to improve my photography no end, and it is one of the most polite and pleasant that I have encountered. Many thanks to Buze in particular, but also to all of the  members who have contributed.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

MACS wrote:

I guess not having new blood slows things down. Newest member registered more than a year ago....
Spambots are to blame....

I still have 2 MF lenses out of 6. I think winter time does create problem to the MF community (aka people in retiring age)

Also I think the off topic should include gallery for AF shots. That should improve traffic

Daniel, Toronto

After several years of enjoying MF lenses, the last two years have seen three eye operations, cataracts, and double vision. I now am stabelized and trying to get back from the darkside of AF. Thing is, I now have glasses and have to figure out how to work with them - viewscreen or viewfinder? The best I have been able to do recently is perhaps one out of fifty shots actually being in focus, a start at least.

Greg - Syracuse,NY

BTW: I did just this week manage to 'fix' the Samsung NX100's problem regarding many adapters not working with it, but OK with the other NX line. 

http://nx100nx10.wordpress.com/this-is- … ached-fix/

Not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Greg (2013-03-23 16:26:01)

I guess everyone has been busy with life and the changes that life brings.
I keep threatening to get out and shoot, but life has been challenging in other areas.
All we can do is keep soldiering on through this wicked economy. hmm
Nice to hear from you guys. smile
-Bruce

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Just busy with work rather than gear acquisition smile

I lost all my computer and all my bookmarks in Sandy.
I finally remembered this excellent forum and I'm back.

Chris

Bring back the latent image!

Welcome back Chris, I hope you're getting a helping hand from your insurance agent on recovering what was lost.

The insurance company ruled that our entire loss was caused by flood and thus not covered.
Fortunately FEMA stepped in and helped us out with substantial rental assistance payments.
This has allowed us to replace most of our furnishings and many of our personal items.

When we evacuated ahead of the storm I filled my minivan with as many
small portable items of value as possible, including most of my camera gear.

Chris

Bring back the latent image!

Thanks for the info Chris.

Greg wrote:

After several years of enjoying MF lenses, the last two years have seen three eye operations, cataracts, and double vision. I now am stabelized and trying to get back from the darkside of AF. Thing is, I now have glasses and have to figure out how to work with them - viewscreen or viewfinder? The best I have been able to do recently is perhaps one out of fifty shots actually being in focus, a start at least.

Greg - Syracuse,NY

BTW: I did just this week manage to 'fix' the Samsung NX100's problem regarding many adapters not working with it, but OK with the other NX line. 

http://nx100nx10.wordpress.com/this-is- … ached-fix/

Not for the faint of heart.

I feel with you.

Wearing glasses is a pain when you never weared them before. Or as I do just for reading.

I decided to go with the Fuji X-E2 with viewfinder and adjustable magnification. The focus peaking also helps a lot.
From 10 shots I have now one or two in focus. That is a lot for me ...

Hanoi

FTL wrote:

well, happy shooting with my school of MF lens; but the real deal around now is testing those new bodies around, tough to choose from, so many of them and so much possibilities. The Nikon 1 really surprise me for what it can do.

I jut bought a refurb Nikon 1 J1 for 160 usd. Cant wait to try It.
Wish I has the money to grab one of the refurb Pentax Q kits for
The same price.

I  still stop in  from time  to time.   The  Black Menace  has  been taking up my time,   and  my health  is getting bad enough  that I can no longer  hike.   So   a  lot of my photog  stuff is  set back.   Fairchild AFB near  Spokane is sposed to have an air show this  spring,  I do hope to get out to that

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho … p?t=248634

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho … p?t=255877

Late  this summer before  I decided to  have it  blasted to bare metal

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714686365&stc=1&d=1389151688

Last edited by 440roadrunner (2014-03-21 22:24:56)

440roadrunner wrote:

I  still stop in  from time  to time.   The  Black Menace  has  been taking up my time,   and  my health  is getting bad enough  that I can no longer  hike.   So   a  lot of my photog  stuff is  set back.   Fairchild AFB near  Spokane is sposed to have an air show this  spring,  I do hope to get out to that.

A nice little Dart you have. I could see it taking my time as well.
BTW, for your thoughts on the wheels, I'd paint the back ones gray. I think it would be more retro that way. smile

440roadrunner wrote:

I  still stop in  from time  to time.   The  Black Menace  has  been taking up my time,   and  my health  is getting bad enough  that I can no longer  hike.   So   a  lot of my photog  stuff is  set back.   Fairchild AFB near  Spokane is sposed to have an air show this  spring,  I do hope to get out to that.

A nice little Dart you have. I could see it taking my time as well.
BTW, for your thoughts on the wheels, I'd paint the back ones gray. I think it would be more retro that way. smile