Re: Got any new-to-you Gear?

I do have the Pentacon prism which is dark and does not "see"  the full frame . It was easy , even for me , to make an adapter with 3 small pieces of wood and to mount the Kiev prism : the improvement is striking when you see a bright image that covers the full frame . Believe me , it 's  worth the 2 hours you ' ll spend to adapt the Kiev prism .

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

I just found a near perfect condition Mess-Baldix yesterday! Been reading everything I can find about it, already readjusted the rangefinder which was slightly off. Prontor-SVS, 1-1/300, Ennagon 75mm ƒ/3.5-ƒ/22, 12 on 120. It's beautiful!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8223/8417620994_9aa0ed9e7d.jpg
IMG_6399 by SteveFE, on Flickr

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Very nice find ! We are now waiting for your images ...

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

Haven't even bought any more 120 yet Peter! But I'm off to the States in a couple of weeks and intend to have some fun with it there. If I manage anything any good you'll see it here, don't worry!

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!

You' ll have the opportunity to take great shots under a light which is so different of the UK !

My Minolta Uniomat (from the 60's) posted this morning. All is right with it. A little weighty but at 5 dollars who's complaining.

I'm  afraid  I'm   "not much"  on the  manual  front.   My  muscular/  arthritic  health  is  bad enough that  long  manual glass is no longer a possibility,  except  of  a   Very  Good  tripod,  LOL

But  I did  dump  a considerable sum into a  Canon  70-200  f2.8 L IS,  and  some more into  a Canon  2x  extender II.    I already had a Tamron   1.4?  1.6?  converter.

Mamiya RB67 Pro SD Medium Format camera, Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.5 KL lens, 127mm f/3.5 KL lens (new), WLF & Prism Finder 2!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houdel/set … 461336620/

Last edited by houdel (2013-07-10 06:43:16)

Nikon F3 HP, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4; Konica T3N, T4, FT-1; Lenses: 21/4; 24/2.8; 50/1.4; 50/1.7; 57/1.2; 100/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/4 55/3.5 Macro; 28-135/4-4.6 (2); 80-200/3.5; Teleconverter 2X; Bellows 3AR; Super Lentar 35/2.8; Spiratone 400/6.3 preset; Pheonix 500/8 mirror. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya 90/3.5 KL; 127/3.5 KL. Canon EOS 20D; Canon 18-55/3.5-3.8; Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6; Helios 44M 58/2

Just picked-up a Minolta 370. Seems to work alright but the top plate seems to have some  green spots on some flats and corners. A sm. plate on the front tells all that it was made in China. Are they inferior to the Japanese ones?

A nice little Werra 2. Currently eating its way though a roll of Pan F+.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3869/14474177255_3817a43dfe.jpg
20140621_145448-1 by SteveFE, on Flickr

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Steve, I am wondering if this is a Scotch or a Scotch on the right? Whatever it is, it is nice composed.

It's actually a Budweiser that's gone a little flat! The Werra's not that tiny a camera and if I had a Scotch that size I think I'd have a spot of bother keeping my horizons straight :-)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

SteveFE wrote:

It's actually a Budweiser that's gone a little flat! The Werra's not that tiny a camera and if I had a Scotch that size I think I'd have a spot of bother keeping my horizons straight :-)

Hehe. tongue

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Congratulations for your new Werra !
We are now waiting for your pictures , straight and level of course...
I thought that in your glass, you were drinking a light tea ; I would never had thought you were drinking a Scotch !
If it were a Budweiser , it was certainly a beer from Budweis of Bohemia .

Wow, werra cam is cool.

I bought the leica m3 of the japanese srl cam: minolta sr-7

I've been having a bit of a binge on vintage stuff recently. Here's a very lovely Retinette 1b next to the Werra, as a nice contrast between West German and East German state of the art in the early 60s:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3886/14317053487_6ce21e83c4_c.jpg
DSC03643 by SteveFE, on Flickr

Comparing the two, the Werra is heavier and feels more solidly built, virtually all solid metal, yet the Retinette is so beautifully made and smoother. Film wind is so soft and quiet it's like my F3, and the shutter release is just perfect, with the quietest, most precise "snick" you'll ever hear. The Werra sounds and feels very clockwork-ish, but still solid, with lots of springs being tensioned when you twist that oddball film-wind collar (its shutter has two sets of blinds - the rearmost one to shield the film while the front set are being positioned and tensioned - top speed is 1/750 which is achieved by some clever tensioning that I don't quite understand!)

Both have working selenium meters, but the Werra's is uncoupled and has a readout on the top plate, while the Retinette's a genuine Gossen cell and aperture-coupled to a matchneedle display in the viewfinder (which curiously, is almost invisible until you attach the Kodisk lenshood, when it becomes very clear).

Both have lovely big bright viewfinders, with the Werra displaying a floating frame in contrasting colour, which lets you see what's just outside the final framed shot. The Retinette has a triplet 45mm ƒ/2.8 Reomar lens made by either Rodenstock or Schneider, the Werra has the standard 50mm ƒ/2.8 CZJ Tessar, both very nice lenses.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

I found Panagor lenses 90mm 2.8 macro in MD mount and 55mm 2.8 in OM-mount.
The last one need some work to get is useable for me; I don't have any body with that mount.
Both lenses do 1:1 without help of extension ring or close up lens.

Quiet holiday season around here! Happy Christmas all! This wasn't a Christmas present but was gifted to me with a Bessa folder I recently bought off a local friend (he has 6x9cm and 4x5" enlargers for his serious work so didn't need this "baby" 6x6 Durst :-) )

Came with a full set of condensers and various glasses and neg carriers/masks and a 50mm Schneider Componar that's good for 35mm enlarging, and i already had a 105mm Gnome-Wilon lens that'll do OK for 6x6 till I get something fancier!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8596/15924845000_d0c2438651_z.jpg
DSC05496 by SteveFE, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/16086356476_8e1285206b_z.jpg
DSC05489 by SteveFE, on Flickr

And of course, all the chem suppliers are shut for the Christmas break so I can't get any paper dev till the new year! Ah well, lots of time to clean stuff up and do lots of dry run practice with it!

Also got a load of other bits'n'bobs from the same guy, slimming down his collection:

An OM1 with four Zuiko lenses, 24/2.8, 50/1.8. 135/3.5 and 200/4 (see post elsewhere!), and a whole load of Rolleo branded Bay 1 accessories that fit my Yashica D: these family Christmas pics done with the D, a No 1 Rolleinar closeup set and Rollei-grün (green) filter on Tri-X:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7522/15924103047_0f1a7de7f5_z.jpg
DSC05477 by SteveFE, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7529/16084074956_9ea082dbc3_z.jpg
DSC05482 by SteveFE, on Flickr

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

CONGRATS Steve on your new to you enlarger. wink
And a MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone. smile

I just cheated and did some 6x4 test prints using Rodinal, not even measured, just sloshed into a dish with some tepid water. They came out way better than they had a right to, really really sharp with beautiful tones. I'm hooked! Need 8x10 paper and proper paper dev now!

Last edited by SteveFE (2014-12-26 22:35:58)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

SteveFE wrote:

I just cheated and did some 6x4 test prints using Rodinal, not even measured, just sloshed into a dish with some tepid water. They came out way better than they had a right to, really really sharp with beautiful tones. I'm hooked!

OUTSTANDING! smile

Well, it's been a long time since I last checked in here, and during that time I've acquired quite a bit of stuff. One of my favorite recent acquisitions has been a a Pentax 67 outfit. I bought the camera and a lens from KEH, two other lenses from Robert's Camera of Indianapolis. Like KEH, Robert's has an excellent variety of used gear at very good prices. And I bought a gray 2x teleconverter from a Japanese seller on eBay.  The entire outfit cost me about $650.

I've also been shopping on shopgoodwill.com and have managed to win auctions on several very nice pieces of gear. Like a minty old Canon F-1 with winder and 50/1.4 SSC for about $100, a Nikon FE and FE2, in separate auctions, but still great deals. A Minolta XD-11 for cheap. Included with the FE2 was a ginormous Sunpak 622 flash. It works and puts out a huge amount of light. The GN is like 200 (in feet at ISO 100).  I dunno what I'm gonna do with it. I have a Metz 45 CT 4, which is plenty for my uses, so I'll probably sell the beast. Anyway, I also bought a few Pentax cameras, both K-mount and M42 -- a KM and K2, Spotmatic SP 1000 and F. They came with lenses, none of which were remarkable stand-outs.

I also bought off eBay a very clean NEX 7 with 18-55 kit lens.  This is a very nice outfit. The NEX 7 is  a remarkable camera. Right after I bought it, I bought NEX adapters for six different camera mounts -- Nikon, Pentax K, M42, Canon FD, M39 (Leica thread), even C-mount. Then I added Minolta and EOS mounts. It's been a hoot, using MF lenses on the NEX. I find its focus peaking to be a really nice feature.

cooltouch wrote:

Well, it's been a long time since I last checked in here, and during that time I've acquired quite a bit of stuff. One of my favorite recent acquisitions has been a a Pentax 67 outfit. I bought the camera and a lens from KEH, two other lenses from Robert's Camera of Indianapolis. Like KEH, Robert's has an excellent variety of used gear at very good prices. And I bought a gray 2x teleconverter from a Japanese seller on eBay.  The entire outfit cost me about $650.

Sounds like you have been busy in your absence.

paulrs wrote:

Konica Autoreflex TC 35mm SLR Film Camera With 40/1.8 Lens

excalibur wrote:

If it needs a new battery just use two 1.5v ones and adjust the asa dial...mine was only 1/2 stop out from old battery of two 1.3v to two 1.5v .

Using alkaline batteries is not the best solution. The alkaline batteries have a higher initial voltage (1.5V vs 1.35V) and a fairly long and significant voltage drop-off as they age. Konica did not include voltage compensation in their meter circuits as the mercury oxide batteries they were designed for held a constant voltage as they approached end-of-life. What these two factors combined means is that your meter will never meter correctly and the error will vary over time. Initially your meter will under expose - the higher initial voltage will "fool"the meter into believing the lens is seeing more light than there actually is, so the meter will set a smaller aperture resulting in under exposure. Just the opposite as the battery ages - the voltage drops below 1.35 volts, the meter "thinks" there is less light than there actually is, sets a larger aperture than is correct and your pics are over exposed.

The cheapest and easiest solution is to use #675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries. They are fairly cheap, are the correct voltage, and have a constant voltage throughout their service life. They do have a fairly short usable life though, only 6-12 months, but the low cost offsets the short life to an extent. They are also slightly smaller in diameter than original PX13/PX625 cells. At first I placed a small rubber O-ring around the diameter of the 675 cells but that proved unnecessary, they work just fine in the larger battery compartment as-is. The battery compartment in some of my Konicas also was a little deeper than others and I sometimes had difficulty getting a good electrical connection. In those cases I just placed a small wad of aluminum foil on top of the batteries to take up the extra space and then they worked just fine.

Last edited by houdel (2015-07-18 04:32:26)

Nikon F3 HP, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4; Konica T3N, T4, FT-1; Lenses: 21/4; 24/2.8; 50/1.4; 50/1.7; 57/1.2; 100/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/4 55/3.5 Macro; 28-135/4-4.6 (2); 80-200/3.5; Teleconverter 2X; Bellows 3AR; Super Lentar 35/2.8; Spiratone 400/6.3 preset; Pheonix 500/8 mirror. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya 90/3.5 KL; 127/3.5 KL. Canon EOS 20D; Canon 18-55/3.5-3.8; Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6; Helios 44M 58/2

Bought a Nikon F3 HP from Ebay, $122.50 delivered. Very nice camera, near mint, only a very slight amount of brassing on the top cover corner edges where the strap wore on the body as it was carried, other than that no scratches/scuffs/dings. A week later I got a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI lens, $82.99 delivered. I scored big on that one, totally mint, couldn't even tell it had ever been used. It was donated to an animal shelter in Cali, whoever posted it didn't know much about photography & the description was pretty sketchy which I think turned other prospective buyers off. The pictures weren't the best either but what I saw looked good so I took a bit of a gamble, was the only bidder and ended up with a great lens at a really great price.

Shot a roll of film & sent it out to be processed. While waiting to get my scans back I used it a bit on my Nikon D610 and was quite impressed.  After I got the lens data entered into the camera's lens database it was as easy to use as an AF digital lens except I could only use it in A and M modes and of course had to manually focus. But the pictures were great, amazing sharpness and color. I did download my scans of the pics I took with the F3 HP yesterday and am very pleased with them. The color with film is so much more natural & vibrant then digital! Focus was a bit of a problem in a few photos but that was my fault. I had the wrong diopter eyepiece corrective lens in the viewfinder and had a problem focusing. I since replaced the ECL with the correct diopter for me so I should be good to go now.

Just a heads-up for anyone considering buying an ECL for a Nikon film camera - Nikon marks their ECL with the combined SYSTEM diopter, that is the diopter value of the ECL plus the diopter value of the viewfinder. Because the viewfinder is -1 diopter, the actual strength of the ECL alone is one diopter MORE than what is marked on the ECL.  I use +2 diopter reading glasses, so I first bought a +2 diopter ECL. However because the viewfinder is -1 diopter, a Nikon ECL marked +2 is actually +3 diopters in strength (-1 diopter viewfinder plus +3 ECL diopter equals +2 diopter system). Once I found that out I bought a +1 diopter ECL and now am fine.

Last edited by houdel (2015-07-18 04:54:28)