Topic: Got any new-to-you Gear?

$10. bucks brought me a sm. brown lens case, a Nikon B2 bk filter, a chrome L39 52mm filter, a BR2 lens adapter, a Tiffen adapter w/close-up lens (series 7), and a Nikon F E-2 extension ring adapter. My F is laided-up right now but hey bet most of this stuff will fit my FT2 or the FTn. Yea a a a h!!!!! Let's hear it for luck and 2nd hand stores.

Last edited by RED (2012-09-27 00:59:01)

Re: Got any new-to-you Gear?

Well, for a similar price, I got a good lunch today. Exciting, isn't it?

"That rug really tied the room together."  The Dude

got bored yesterday lunch time so opened ebay, always a bad idea. But im quite happy with what i bought and am now just waiting for the postman.

Konica Autoreflex TC 35mm SLR Film Camera With 40/1.8 Lens
and
HOYA HMC WIDE-AUTO f=24mm 1:2.8

both very cheap smile. but neither needed. I already have the 40/1.8 lens, hoping for a better cond copy.At £21+7 i think its a steal for such a great lens.

the hoya is fd but included an adaptor for my camera and at £29+4 seemed a fair deal

Paul, excellent deals!

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

paulrs wrote:

Konica Autoreflex TC 35mm SLR Film Camera With 40/1.8 Lens

Hexanon 40mm.... Hummm... when I see the price of a Zuiko 40mm...Unfortunately, by camera is an Olympus, not a Konica...

"That rug really tied the room together."  The Dude

first package arrived, in really nice condition.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/8035162180_39dc74ed71_z.jpg
_9296601 by paulhome, on Flickr

paulrs wrote:

first package arrived, in really nice condition.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/8035162180_39dc74ed71_z.jpg
_9296601 by paulhome, on Flickr

Nice combo has exposure lock and will take a M42 adapter and meter screw lenses.
If it needs a new battery just use two 1.5v ones and adjust the asa dial...mine was only 1/2 stop out from old battery of two 1.3v to two 1.5v .

Last edited by excalibur (2012-09-29 11:52:32)

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

That is a really nice lens. Works great on a NEX as well!

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

LucisPictor wrote:

That is a really nice lens. Works great on a NEX as well!

I've been using a bash copy for 6 months on my Samsung NX and it has been outstanding, i tend to bore people harping on about it. But one day people might realise what a gem it is and that's why i need a spare before the price gets daft.
For aps-c mirrorless cameras i dont think there is another lens in the price bracket that can touch it.

I do own the Hexanon 1.8/40 and the Minolta Rokkor 2/45.
And I still don't know which one I like better. Both lenses are really nice on a NEX.

Things ON SALE!

Very nice package paulrs, both the camera and lens look pristine. So many of the TCs on ebay have peeling leatherette and brassing on the edges of the body. I have heard the claim that the Hexanon 40/1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses ever made. On my cameras which used the old mercury cells, I use #675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries which are the correct voltage. They don't last as long as alkaline or silver oxide batteries but they are pretty cheap.

Nikon F3 HP, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4; Konica T3N, T4, FT-1; Lenses: 21/4; 24/2.8; 50/1.4; 50/1.7; 57/1.2; 100/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/4 55/3.5 Macro; 28-135/4-4.6 (2); 80-200/3.5; Teleconverter 2X; Bellows 3AR; Super Lentar 35/2.8; Spiratone 400/6.3 preset; Pheonix 500/8 mirror. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya 90/3.5 KL; 127/3.5 KL. Canon EOS 20D; Canon 18-55/3.5-3.8; Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6; Helios 44M 58/2

The Hexanon 40mm f1.8 is indeed a very good lens and I bought two a few years ago for peanuts when no one wanted them, and I was reading an article recently that said Tokina made this lens (with some others) for Konica. If this is true then maybe the quality control at Tokina wasn't the same as Konica made lenses, so maybe it might explain why some say "they are not impressed with this lens".........................................

Last edited by excalibur (2012-10-18 08:10:15)

Nikon FM, F90x, EM, F90x, Canon AV1, A1, T70 & T90, Minolta X-700, SRT101b and AFZ, Pentax S3, Fuji STX-2, Practica MTL3, TL5b, BC1, Chinon Chinon CE,  Konica Autoreflex TC, FS-1 & C35, Yashica T5D, Olympus OM2, Contax139, Ricoh KR-10,  Bronica Etrs, Mamiya RB67 pro AND drum roll:- a Sony DSC-P92
.........past gear Tele Rollieflex and Rollei SL66.

For me this lens is very special on my digital mirrorless camera.I have a bad habit of buying far too many lenses, but this is the only lens that without a 2nd copy i can't sleep soundly.
The easy of use and the sharpness are magical. If i could only ever use one lens for the rest of my life the choice of this 40/1.8 would be a no brainer. When you see the prices asked for some very average lenses rocketing, for the booming number mirrorless digtal users while these gems can easily be picked up for under £30 it does make you wonder.

After this little rant im now going to get a backup backup just in case . smile

First thing that caught my eye as I entered a large 2nd hand store was a pretty-big tripod perched atop a dress rack. A casual inspection revealed a price tag of $18.01. Looking for a name on another tag (it's a new pod)marked 3051 & Manfrotto an attached head, 3039 also boasted the same name. Not looking further I put my money down. On arrival
home and a closer inspection the two flaws were apparent: This is one HEAVY son-of -a-gun and two, a top plate had gone missing. The Internet and 40-odd dollar order will reward me with a 1/4-20 and a 3/8 plate that should cover most cameras I use, Now if anyone knows how I might convince my wife to tote this 16.5lbs of thrift for me I'd be obliged. One thing is sure: It makes for one steady platform indoors or out. Shore do love a bargain!

Speaking of tripod shooting - my son's doing a Photography A level at college and it's fun (albeit uphill work) explaining to him that while he's got some good feedback from fuzzy handheld abstract nightshots, nothing beats solid support and a Nikkor lens (in this case a 50mm ƒ/1.4 Nikkor-S, non-AI) if you want detail and 14-point starbursts!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8072/8316774621_4ddb0b70de.jpg
IMG_5731 by SteveFE, on Flickr

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-12-28 10:05:48)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

In my area   the entire  "thrift store"  donation  thing  has changed dramatically.  Other than  clothing,  which  I actually need little of,  the "cool"  and  even useful  "stuff"  that I find in them  is  "down"  dramatically over the  last  2-3 years.      Years ago,  I could often buy  2-3  computers  at  15--20 bucks  a whack,  and  "combine"  a couple,  IE   2 hard drives,  added memory,  using the best parts of the two,  etc,  and come up with a perfectly useful computer.   

Nowadays,  many  places don't even accept them,  and often  the hard drives have been removed.   Add to this  that  Goodwill has now taken it upon themselves to  REMOVE THE MICROSHAFT STICKER  and you have a completely useless, overpriced  and obsolete  item  which doesnn't even make a good doorstop nor boat anchor.

I haven't seen  an attractive  deal  on camera gear  in one of these joints now  for a very long time.

Found a Contax III-A that looked good, gave it and my GAS a long week to resolve but finailly gave in :-), there seemed no way out. This is one good lookin camera. It's got the 50 1:1.5 lens

That can be a very nice toy! Congrats.

You'll enjoy shooting with it and getting beautiful pictures !

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

440roadrunner wrote:

In my area   the entire  "thrift store"  donation  thing  has changed dramatically.  Other than  clothing,  which  I actually need little of,  the "cool"  and  even useful  "stuff"  that I find in them  is  "down"  dramatically over the  last  2-3 years.

Ebay did them in (same with pawn shops). People that were donating are now ebaying and the big thrift stores like Goodwill save what good stuff the get for their own ebay stores. Last Nikon MF lens I got off of ebay had a generic account name but the receipt was from a Goodwill store... Lens before that was from a pawn shops ebay store. Of course you can't tell you're dealing with a pawn shop until you get their receipt with the goods.

You are  largely  correct.  In this area, at least   a  mess  of  garbage  known  as "Pawn 1"  has  taken over an run any  independent  folk out of business.    The  children who run them know nothing of pricing.   I went in  one day with the misconception that I might  buy   a P'nS     I quickly learned:

The kid  really did not want  to get anything out  from  the display case to show me

The reason they are on display  with nothing else, boxes,  etc,  is because they COME  with nothing else.

The shop wants  horrendously  high prices  for them

I'm really unhappy with Goodwill.  For  quite some time,  they  "take in"  all their computers,  sort through them, and re--distribute  a few to some stores.  This means  we get the riff-raff.   Worse, here lately,  the have been  installling  a copy of Linux on the hard drives,  but that is not the BAD part  ---Goodwill has been REMOVING  the factory  Microshaft license  -- which came with the machine,   and means  that  there is now no way  to economically  re-install Winhozed. 

'Bout the only thing  I've bought from Goodwill in the last year  is a few  videos,  and now they've decided  not to waste time  keeping the shelves  in order,  meaning  it's a free-for-all  sorting through  the disarray.

I think "we"  are finally done, here!!!

I've been expanding my collection of Olympus "Styli". I occasionally find them in Goodwill and other thrifts with the other $1.00 "plastic fantastics".

Finally gone digital

I have managed to get a Pentacon Six TL to replace the one I had awhile back (that broke)
there are a lot out there but for more  than i was willing to pay
this one was a pretty good price
this is in good usable condition ,not perfect but clean and tidy ,the higher shutter speeds are a bit slow in this cold weather so could do with sorting at some point .
the super rotator did not come with it unfortunately :  )

I have posted some pictures with it in the gallery bit
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8373038612_76f0beba26.jpg
Pentacon Six TL Hartblei 45mm super rotator by brucemilburn, on Flickr

Last edited by brucemilburn (2013-01-26 11:19:06)

Very nice piece of equipment indeed ! Do you have the Pentacon prism  ? You probably know that you can adapt the Kiev prism which is better than the Pentacon one .

I am a Pentacon and kiev( MF and35 mm) user,and also :contaxII,III,IIa  ,contaflex , contarex bullseye ,voigtlander ....

ikonpeter wrote:

Very nice piece of equipment indeed ! Do you have the Pentacon prism  ? You probably know that you can adapt the Kiev prism which is better than the Pentacon one .

Thanks Peter
I am very pleased with it
I don't have the prism , I have been told its very dark and that the Kiev prism is much brighter , I am enjoying using the WLF at the moment ,though I am keeping my eyes open for a Kiev prism  :  )