Topic: Nikon D800 / D800E Finally here

Nikon D800 / D800E & D800 Microsite

Nikon's PDF Brochure

Full frame, similar sensor pitch as that of the 16MP sensor in the D7000 / NEX-5N, DX capture still gives 15MP+, and the E model without the AA Filter , looks like very well equipped. This one is now surely on my watched list.

Last edited by FTL (2012-02-07 09:48:22)

Re: Nikon D800 / D800E Finally here

Be interesting to see how some of the old glass works with this camera. Lots of folks saying so many pixels will cause a resolution problem but all of those pixels are spread over a big area so is it really going to be an issue? Seems like maybe the best platform made for some of our old MF primes. If they did well on 25 ASA Kodachrome, I think they will be fine with 36mp on a full frame.
Be awhile before thay actually hit the street so time will tell.

Last edited by arlon (2012-02-08 19:15:46)

Similar pixel pitch to a 15Mpx APS-C sensor.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Yes, basically a full frame D7000 the way I see it. Everyone is calling it a D700 replacement but I don't see it as a replacement of the D700 as much as it is an upgrade of a D7000. Pixel density is exactly the same along with a lot of other features. Personally I think they made a mistake calling it a D800, they should have called it a D8000 and left room for a D800 that would be a REAL evolution of the D700 (D700 sensor with video and dual memory cards, better AF and such). I think they shut themself out of a whole segment of the population by marketing it a replacement for the D700. I have a D800 preordered, we'll see what it does in a few weeks/months. Personally I see it replacing my D90 but  it will just be a compliment to the D700, not it's replacement.

Well the 5DII was also supposed to be hard on glass, but it turns out it's the contrary that I found... I know it's not logical, but the proof is in the pudding

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

Hi guys. Long time no see.

I'm totally underwhelmed by the new 5D3 .. better AF (who cares, never using it), no more interchangable focusing screens (yuck), no higher resolution (wtf?) and a high price.
So I was thinking about getting a D800 ... now I wonder how good Nikon is for manual lenses. Ok, one cannot mount PK and M42 because of the shorter registration distance. But apart from that, it would be interesting to know what your experience is.
Of course Nikon doesn't have interchangable focusing screens in their non-flagship models either, but there will be third party products I guess? Also, what's your experience with old Nikkors? They are far more expensive than M42 etc. because they are coupled, right?

bionet wrote:

Also, what's your experience with old Nikkors? They are far more expensive than M42 etc. because they are coupled, right?

It might not make sense to match softer old glass with a 36MP sensor.

bionet wrote:

I'm totally underwhelmed by the new 5D3 .. better AF (who cares, never using it),

But if you ever did you might agree that it was one thing that really could use some improvement smile

Sensors on the D800 are actually .1mm LARGER than the D7000 so it surely can't be any more focus sensitive in the middle of the frame than a D7000 is. I don't hear anyone complaining about the D7000 being too sensitive. Now edges of the frame and vignetting may be a whole different issue with less than stellar glass. I think that the added pixels will certainly bring out any lens weakness on the edges. I have a box of old lenses to try but I really don't expect it be anything more than a D7000 with a border to help with cropping.. Wish it would hurry up and get here.

Last edited by arlon (2012-03-06 01:46:10)

The M42 Yashinon DS 1.7/50 is the sharpest lens I have (stopped down), better than the EF 50/2.5 macro. The Chinon PK 1.9/50 is also excellent.
Edge performance is poor for many old lenses, sure .. but then again, most of the older AF Nikkors with the mechanical coupling are probably not more than re-packaged manual lenses anyway. Even some current EF lenses are still essentially 1970s optics (e.g. the simple spherical EF 1.4/50).

What I'm more worried about is metering with uncoupled lenses, metering errors with aftermarket screens, and so on. I have no experience whatsoever with Nikon cameras.

Last edited by bionet (2012-03-06 11:38:22)

Metering and such should be almost exactly the same as a D7000 which does fine. I have several lenses that cost less than $15 dollars I really want to test on the d800. I ordered mine form B&H in the first hour but they delivered only to "Nikon Pros". Kid next door will be able to get one at Sears before I get mine..