Re: Fuji X-Pro1

You know this has more film sim modes than the X100 right? Not just the slide films and b/w, but colour neg sims as well. OK so they're only digital simulations but Fuji have always done that sort of thing rather well, as they should know how to. It's actually bugging me a bit that most of the sample pics I've seen so far have been either night shots or studio set crap where the JPG processing doesn't really show itself off.

I'd like to see a comparative bunch of a gorgeous landscape with some big sky, to compare the Velvia, Astia, Provia and the two pro neg settings. Then the same comparison on a daylight portrait to see how the film modes render skin tones, the sort of things us real people shoot and not studio pros or streetshooting rangefinder nerds.

And of course it'll work more or less like a film camera, those gorgeous dials! Real lightrays viewfinder view if you want it or the EVF for when you want pinpoint focus accuracy, or gainup in low light, or parallax correction, or a view unobstructed by the bigger lenses.

Downsides I've seen from some of the first-try videos etc are that it doesn't look like it's going to be a fast camera in use. As I expected, write times to the card look long if shooting raw or raw + jpg (always a Fuji weakness even in their DSLRs). No surprise, as that quasi-random filtering arrangement must make some hefty demands on the processing engine. And apparently official Fuji sources have already said it's going to be no speed-demon in terms of autofocus - "it's not that sort of camera". Fair enough I spose, and probably not something that's going to bother too many people who aren't sports or bird in flight photogs or wannabe ones who spout on internet forums.

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-01-12 17:58:47)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Well, Fujifilm is saying this will be the first of a series of X mount mirrorless. This really do give the M4/3, NEX a run for the money. I am thinking a version with less retro control, cleaner simpler lines and EVF only ( or LCD with detachable EVF ) would be coming.

The really amazing bits these days is now we can have the liberty to choose our own prefered setup without worrying about whether they can deliver. From the M4/3 all the way up to FF, sensors are now all good enough ( at RAW ) to deliver truly usable capture right up to the High ISO range. Which mean we are free to tailor our own.

FTL wrote:

The really amazing bits these days is now we can have the liberty to choose our own prefered setup without worrying about whether they can deliver. From the M4/3 all the way up to FF, sensors are now all good enough ( at RAW ) to deliver truly usable capture right up to the High ISO range. Which mean we are free to tailor our own.

This.

In a word, progress. Isn't it marvelous? smile

Sample images

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita … le_images/

Images are super, "super" clean at ISO 25,000 but very soft! :shock: just look at that "plastic" looking face. Perhaps is just my monitor is not sharp enough?

http://www.holerga.com/2012/fuji-x-pro- … n-romania/
http://www.alinpopescu.eu/blog/hands-on … i-x-pro-1/

Is it just me or what do you think of the pre-production images?
http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji-x-pro1/

http://vladdodan.ro/blog/fuji-x-pro-1-hands-on-preview/

Last edited by stingOM (2012-01-14 15:02:44)

Early hand-on reports seem to indicate that the AF is hit & miss. The AF looks like a carry over from the X100, that too bad. Perhaps Fuji rushed the camera to production, more excited about their new sensor than other aspects of the camera such as AF - X100 redux? If so that high price and poor AF are fatal flaws that are going to hurt them.

I love the idea of the X-Pro1. Love the form factor.
Not sure I can go for it considering this comparison.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6715847959_67ae5ddec9_o.jpg
price by SteveMPhoto, on Flickr

Got a phone call today from my regular camera supplier.
She says the combined retail price for the body & "50mm" f1.4 will be around €2000.
Yikes!
I also read a report somewhere on the net (can't remember where) that the focusing rings on the lenses aren't in fact machined metal, but moulded plastic!
Yikes again.
If both these statements are in fact true, I think I'll count myself out.
I'm not paying €2000 for a camera with a crop sensor and a plastic lens.

rog

Ouch! UK pricing more or less confirmed as just under £2000 with a lens. So definitely not a poor man's Leica :-(

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!

I will have to wait and see how its priced around here, and how the real thing handle. The lens and the sensor is really the high point , and of course the hybrid VF, but I would guess the imaging ( processing ) would be a challenge. It reminds me of the EXR setup they have. Almost every review speaks of soft and not well defined details, until one got to process the RAW ( and using a proper developer that can take advantage of the specific sensor like that of Silkypix PRO ) It may very well be the case here too.

Definitely expensive!

More samples:
http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/fujifilm_xpro1

Some real life sample from Nikkei bp , the page in Japanese, but the photo show itselfs. There is full size JPEG after clicking onto the respective ones.

al wrote:

Definitely expensive!

Yes, too expensive. sad

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

I think the huge buzz of excitement got very muted once the real world prices were announced. With so many capable DSLRs and CSCs around or under the £1000 mark, anything over £2000 has to be truly spectacular or at least a serious heavyweight pro's tool, or else it's straight to niche-market Leicaland.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Got my hands on one the other day. I already own an x100, so was curious to check it out.
When I picked it up...it's felt too light for the size of the body IMO.
Also, the lens that was on it (50mm f1.4 equiv.) felt cheap, certainly not a MF feel to it.
The image quality may be very good, but it just doesn't feel solid enough to me.
Think I'll be giving this one a miss, especially at the price bracket it occupies.
Rog

Although the price makes it a non-starter for me anyway, I've been following the more considered reviews out of interest. Seems like it's still not quite an instinctive shooter's camera - manual focus by wire and slow AF, although the example pics I've seen (plenty around now) do hint at pretty fantastic image quality and great basic ability of the lenses, yet just that focussing letting the side down. I still won't be selling a child to get one!

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3