Topic: Fuji X-Pro1

Now you're talking! Official announcement coming Monday. To be released with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.4. Also Leica M lens to X mount adapter to be released later this year. Camera is physically about the same size as the M9.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc498/43rumors/Fuji-X-Pro1-camera-leneses.jpg
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc498/43rumors/Fujifilm-X-Pro1-camera-top.png

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

Re: Fuji X-Pro1

Ahhhh, rumours sites, you have to love em! Still, if it's got 16Mpx and some yet-to-be-confirmed fab sensor technology and no AA filter, and if it has the X100's hybrid finder (lots of ifs) it could be great. Not sure how many of their own lenses they'll sell if there's a r/f lens adaptor available but I guess they'll price the body to be profitable in its own right and not rely on topup sales ...

As for "poor man's Leica", I think they mean "slightly less affluent man's Leica". It's not gona be £300 now is it? I predict around £999 mark, possibly more :-) It'll have to be priced well above the X100 or it'll kill off sales for that one and the X10 overnight. Those lenses do sound interesting though, for those that can afford the whole package.

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-01-08 18:45:31)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

Been thinking this is the year to replace my 300D.  I might just go with this.
I love "rangefinder" form factors.

This is the first camera that makes me rethink about buying a NEX-7 this/next year.

An interview with the Managing Director Canon Image Communication Business Division reveals that Canon will be releasing a mirrorless system in 2012. He emphasizes sensor image quality over size of the camera and the need for smaller lenses. Looks like the Canon and Fuji systems could be the big mirrorless high-end quality systems of 2012. Also Olympus will be releasing a new non-PEN micro 4/3 camera with built in viewfinder next month.

Interesting year ahead.

Amazon already taking US orders for the Fuji
X-Pro1 body $1699, 18mm and 35mm $499, 60mm macro $599

Last edited by Sandeep (2012-01-08 20:46:32)

Sandeep wrote:

An interview with the Managing Director Canon Image Communication Business Division reveals that Canon will be releasing a mirrorless system in 2012. He emphasizes sensor image quality over size of the camera and the need for smaller lenses. Looks like the Canon and Fuji systems could be the big mirrorless high-end quality systems of 2012. Also Olympus will be releasing a new non-PEN micro 4/3 camera with built in viewfinder next month.

Interesting year ahead.

Amazon already taking US orders for the Fuji
X-Pro1 body $1699, 18mm and 35mm $499, 60mm macro $599

Ouch, those are high prices.

As I thought - they're not about to cannibalise sales of the X100. Looks like you don't even get a built-in flash for your money! Presumably they'll have something suitably pro-oriented for flash connectivity - a PC sync socket or built-in wireless would be nice as well as the hotshoe. At that price they really ought to have professional level image quality and usability sorted, it's a bit more than a rich man's toy pricetag.

No sign of it on Amazon UK yet, even if the price will translate as "I can't afford it" in any currency :-)

It'll be disappointing if Canon produce what's essentially a Powershot G with swappable lenses, even if it has whizzy features and IQ. Leaving the APS-C (or larger) CSC field to Sony and Fuji will be dangerous for them; I've yet to detect any buzz of excitement for Nikon's 1 system or Pentax's Q from serious enthusiasts. The cameras that most people I know are talking about a lot, aspiring to and buying are the NEX-7, X100, the better M4/3 models and I think it's safe to predict, this one, and it is to do with traditional photographic values like solid handling, on-body/on-lens controls, the ability to use the great lenses you want to and whose qualities you know (OK, not including the X100), depth of field control, good or filmlike high ISO performance etc. Poor man's Leica features in other words :-)

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-01-09 08:28:30)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!

A digital day's re-incarnation of the Contax G somewhat.

You know know world is a big market, and we who are accustumed to old manual focus lens might have our POV somwwhat skewed. I think the Penrax Q and Nikon 1 do represent a different approach to the market. They might not be gearing towards the dedicated hobbyist, but that does not made them less relevant. This is highlighted by the recent online survey by Impress in Japan and their year end data that the Pentax Q got the highest vote for the mirrorless for 2011, and the Nikon 1 world wide are selling now at 3 times its expected volume as most industrial analyst been saying ( and a lot more in Asia in fact )

I am most interested in how Fujifilm do their sensor. its one area that could bring us some interesting take on imaging. Video might be the big FAB now, but I think down the road, its the sensor that will take front seat with the like of full spectrum recording, the going away of the AA filter, and the capability to deliver truly usable RAW at base to high ISO

It does look a lot like a Contax G.

More exciting retro mirrorless news:
"What Olympus is going to announce the second week of February is a new OM styled Micro Four Thirds camera! Unlike the upcoming Fuji X PRO 1 camera that is going to be announced soon (follow MirrorlessRumors for that) the new Olympus camera will have a new type of viewfinder placed in the middle of the camera. The camera has a super high body quality and while I don’t have 100% reliable specs now I have been assured that it has super new kind of viewfinder. I think Olympus decision to revive the OM camera history is good news. I always liked these cameras. "

Last edited by Sandeep (2012-01-09 15:00:04)

Ooooh! If they could make it look, feel and work like a classic OM1 (especially a BIG, BRIGHT viewfinder, should be possible if it's a latest generation EVF), ISO dial on-body, shutterspeed ring around lensmount, full metal body etc etc, maybe downsized just a little to keep those sexy silver M4/3 primes in proportion but not too much so we can still adapt old Zuikos to it and have them look and feel right ... just maybe!

I'm amazed it's taken manufacturers so long to cotton onto the real selling power of retro aesthetics when done right and integrated as part of the total design, not just tacking some bits of plastic chrome trim onto a generic plastic body. We like small and heavy, we like manual on-body controls, because the first says quality and the second is simply more useful than menu-diving for the essential functions fundamental to real photography. Fuji haven't really put a foot wrong with the X series (OK maybe their AF isn't the fastest), they all just have that "pick me up and use me" look about them, which seems to be backed up by the experience of those lucky enough to own them. Preorders and buzz around the X-1 seems to be near hysteria levels :-)

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-01-09 17:45:23)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

translation of leaked Italian press release, this part about the sensor looks like a real breakthrough, this camera is not just a cosmetic makeover:

"For this camera, Fujifilm has developed a new CMOS sensor called X-TransTM CMOSTM which is able to provide a response similar to that of a sensor “full frame”.

The new array (CFA – Color Filter Array) opens the way for an ideal sensor that does not require an optical low-pass filter. This filter is in fact essential for the reduction of false colors and moiré generated by conventional sensors, but at the same time, also degrades the resolution. Fujifilm has developed a new matrix that is inspired by the CFA random arrangement of the grain in the film, eliminating the need for optical low-pass filter to solve the problems of false colors and moiré. In the matrix, RGB pixels are arranged in groups of 6×6 pixels with high aperiodicity (randomness). Increasing the degree of randomness eliminates the root cause of the false color and moiré, a problem that occurs in conventional matrix elements during the filming of rows and other repeating patterns. The presence of a pixel R, G and B in each series of horizontal and vertical pixels minimizes the generation of false colors and provides superior color reproduction themselves.

The use of a matrix inspired by the film has necessitated a more powerful processor to process image data for this FUJIFILM EXR Processor Pro has created this project to optimize the potential of the Trans-X sensor CMOSTM providing high speed and high-precision image processing."

Which sounds awfully like a filmlike, Gaussian noise distribution digital sensor. Reducing moiré while keeping the sharpness of not having an AA filter is attractive enough in itself, but *if* it can behave gracefully at stupidly high ISOs as well that'd be the cherry on the cake. Imagine a digital sensor that genuinely looked like pushed Tri-X when shooting in the dark. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'll be watching the reviews.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Better and better news all the time.
Looking forward to some images and reviews.

Sample images.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita … le_images/

WOW , surprise and some anti-climax for the over-excited fans( the sensor is not any wonder new wonder material or full spectrum or even Super-CCD type as many claimed ), but seriously now the camera is finally out officially. I must say its looking mighty good.

With the launch and delivery of NEX-7 and the X-Pro-1 coupled with the Nikon D4 & Canon 1DX ( and their expected D800 and 5D-III ); it seems its pretty settled for now with the DSLR+Compact setup ( for dedicated Amateur and Semi-PRO/PRO ). It would be interesting to see what else of a development we will be seeing this year.

That pseudo-random, non-Bayer matrix looks very interesting (although I'm not enough of a scientist to tell whether it's truly the end of moiré and AA filters). I do work in print though and have worked a fair bit with both conventional and stochastic line screening, and this looks very like the latter. The idea of a more random, film-like look, particularly as ISO goes up and things get noisier, is very attractive. In print, stochastic screening tends to look more grainy and less smooth than conventional screening unless you get the dot size right down and the frequency (average dots per mm or whatever) very high, and it's also in my experience been less than random, with visible repeating patterns in areas of continuous tone when larger dots are used, but it really does have its uses. How random Fuji can make the clusters will be key to the look of files I think. Raw file size and processing speed, and indeed the availability of raw converters, could be an issue perhaps, as it looks like being a whole lot more work demosaicing this sort of file than a Bayer file.

The sample images certainly look sharp and detailed and clean although there aren't really any torture tests amongst them (the jewellery closeups look good though, no signs of purple fringing on the specular highlights). And the lenses look simply stunning. Want want want! Can't wait to see the first hands-on reviews.

Last edited by SteveFE (2012-01-10 09:15:43)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Exciting times indeed. We'll have to keep an eye on that one. wink
-Bruce

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Fuji is claiming its sensor will deliver better images than the Canon 5D Mk II, it will be interesting to read the detailed reviews and see if this is true.

1st online pre-orders, price change now body & 35mm f1.4 lens - $1384 USD

US: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F
UK: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F
Canada: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F

Hmmm I am a bit concerned about the high ISO shot of the pepper(?), it has some weird color blob/patterns in the shadow areas. 100% crops:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/74983759.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/48241995.png/

thoughts anyone?

Also, at $1384 with a normal lens it looks the camera will be a contender for the NEX7, and after seeing this image of the camera with the tiny 28mm (eq) I am in love again smile
http://3.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/ … jpg?v=1301

Wow, price plummet already? $1384 with a lens is a long way down from $1699 body-only. But if that's all kosher it's a very attractive proposition indeed. I predict market-raping and pillaging on an epic, Conanesque scale.

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3

Sandeep wrote:

Fuji is claiming its sensor will deliver better images than the Canon 5D Mk II, it will be interesting to read the detailed reviews and see if this is true.

1st online pre-orders, price change now body & 35mm f1.4 lens - $1384 USD

US: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F
UK: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F
Canada: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=19445X7 … -227647%2F

Looks like they pulled the one for the U.S. No longer available. hmm $1388 with lens sounds quite a bit better though.
-Bruce

I put that adapter in a safe place, never to be seen again.

Fuji just announced the lens road map for X-Pro1:

(To supplement the 18mm F2.0, 35mm F1.4 and 60mm F2.4 Macro already announced)

2012:
14mm f/2.8
18-72mm f/4.0 with Image Stabilization

2013:
28mm f/2.8 pancake
23mm f/2.0
72-200mm f/4.0 Image Stabilization
12-24mm f/4.0 Image Stabilization

I already own the x100 and x10, and they have become the cameras I tend to go to first, the DSLR's not getting much of a look in these days.
If everything they claim is true, and the future lens lineup that's on the cards begins to take shape, I can honestly see myself going for this set-up, and offloading a lot of SLR gear!

rog

Cool cam, cool system and the lenses they announce sound fantastic!

Sony, do you hear?

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

My biggest problem here is my hang up on film.
This looks to be exactly the digital camera I would have liked to have had years ago, but now I'm almost all film.

I do want a new digital, but this thing just looks like massive overkill for my modest digital needs...even so though, it does make the heart beat a bit faster.