Topic: Any worthwhile upgrades for an XP Pro machine?

Hi

I am currently running an XP pro machine with dual core Pentium E5200 at 2.5 GHz and 2 GB RAM. There are 2 internal drives, the files are on C with 85 GB free and PS uses D as a scratchpad with 59 GB free.

It was slow running DPP and CS4 with 5D mkI files, but it has become positively sluggish handling 5D mkII images. On occasion DPP fails to convert an image and I have to shut the program down and restart it. Short of buying a new box, are there any worthwhile and cost effective improvements that will boost performance?

The discs have been defragged etc.

I would happily add more RAM, but seem to recall that XP can't really handle more than 2 GB? However, these days I am well out of touch.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Re: Any worthwhile upgrades for an XP Pro machine?

XP -- at least the 32 bit version -- can see up to 3 gigs of ram.  I've had 4 gigs installed on my system -- only 3 of which are seen by XP -- for a couple years.  I just upgraded the mobo and processor last month (AMD Phenom X4, Asrock 890GX mobo, overclocking the CPU to about 3.5 ghz), but the old setup had an AMD Athlon X2 running at -- I dunno, probably around 2.4 ghz.  I haven't handled 5D II sized files with it, but I have handled lots of scans from my Epson at 4800 ppi -- tif files over 100mb in size -- without issues.  Maybe a bit slow, but I wouldn't say sluggish.  I suspect that if you add more ram you'll really see an improvement.  And since you have a dual core processor, if you can find a 64-bit copy of XP, you might want to upgrade.  I'm pretty sure the 64-bit version will see more than just 3 gigs of ram.

Last edited by cooltouch (2011-12-18 17:59:39)

Hi, Bryan.

I have used (until about three weeks ago exclusively) an Athlon XP 2600 PC with 2 GB RAM and Win XP.
Working with LR was a PITA!

Instead of adding more and more stuff to that system, I went for a new laptop (which I got for a low price, because my wife needed one of those mobile internet USB things and the laptop came with the contract for a special price).
Now, I work with a Core i5 running at 2.3 GHz, 6 GB RAM and WIN 7. Wow! That's quite a rocket.

So, perhaps instead of investing in an oldish system, you should try to find an affordable new one.

But yes, I know, you just got that MkII, right?

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

For lightroom/DPP you want a BIG machine, and especially large amount of RAM. On my 16GB machine LR can eat 4GB just by itself !

If you can, buy all the ram you can get, the prices are ridiculous at the moment, and you can push a machine to it's maximum for around 40 quid.

For processing RAW from a 5DII I would /definitely/ upgrade the hardware you have. You can aways run your XP in Virtualbox on a new system to the the old apps etc if you feel like a soft transition.

FYI a "good" SandyBridge (2500k) is around ~150, a good Sandy Bridge mobo will be around ~100, and 8GB of ram (2x4) is around 40 quid (!!!)... That would give you quite a boost!

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

Wheelman wrote:

Hi

<snip>

I would happily add more RAM, but seem to recall that XP can't really handle more than 2 GB? However, these days I am well out of touch.

I would suggest more RAM, even with your limitations. Have you run any AV/spyware SW? (AVG, Spybot Ad-Aware on my machine)

But allow me to inquire......

Did you also clear both your TEMP folders? (can be found here:)
- C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp
- C:\Windows\Temp

Restart your machine after this. Please note, there may be items you can't DEL. This is usually because some app needs to store (temporarily) there. Not to worry, just bypass them for now. But I compare this to doing regular housework. Gotta sweep/vacuum the floors, else you get quite the buildup in the corners.

Please do this on a regular basis. Weekly is recommended.

Seymore
MooreFoto

short of a new computer or all the suggestion stated above, the really viable option might not be that viable. ( if no hardware upgrade are to be performed ) - that is, ditch the old windows and look to alternative os on that old hardware. Aka Linux.

Wow, thanks for all the useful suggestions folks!

I need time to sit back and take it all in.

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

More ram will help if machine is 'thrashing' ram from/to ramdisk -- check Task Manager, Performance, Commit Charge (K) number.  If larger than Physical Memory, Total number, there has been 'thrashing' because ram not enough.

Some PP programs use a ram disk to scratch onto; size of ramdisk should be at least as large as an uncompressed raw image.  An external ram disk can be used for PP temporary files, to avoid the real bottleneck:

Disk access is the bottleneck.  Upgrading to faster disk system will give the biggest performance boost -- with the old disk system in a brand new high-end gaming computer, there will be little performance improvement, if any!

The biggest improvement will come from upgrading IDE to SATA.  Often, a higher-capacity disk will be faster than one lower, because the head travels less distance over denser data.  Of equal capacity and platter area, 7200rpm drive is slower than 10,000rpm drive, but maybe quieter.

Not as quiet or as fast as a SSD drive, but less expensive.

Canon 5Dc, Spotmatics II, F, ESII, Pentax 6x7
S-M-C Takumars 17-500mm (18 lenses), S-M-C Macro-Takumars 50 & 100mm, S-M-C Bellows Takumar, Macro-Takumar 50/4 1:1, S-M-C Takumars/6x7 55-200mm (7 lenses)

If you have PCI-Express capability on your motherboard then get yourself a USB 3.0 PCI-Express Card speeds up loading videos/files/images onto your PC and only costs a tenner.
Before you buy anymore RAM do a scan with Crucial which will tell you what max RAM you can add if any.
Also on computeractive website they had some free to download software that finds and deletes duplicate files which save plenty of space.

Thanks for the further replies. When I save up the pennies a new box will be forthcoming.

However I found this link today and it promises some improvement for very little spend, if I have understood it correctly!

The /3GB switch may save the day.

Last edited by Wheelman (2011-12-20 08:52:12)

Photo Blog

For your biggest bang for buck go to your local Tesco and buy whatever laptop with 4GB+ of RAM they have. For most users even those doing DPP it will be enough. Coming from XP which is over a decade old tou will be amazed.

Geoff

Krag wrote:

Coming from XP which is over a decade old tou will be amazed.

+1

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

Bought and installed 2GB of RAM and used the /3GB switch.

System now perfectly usable, but not supercharged. A cheap fix smile

Should have tested after installing additional RAM but before applying /3GB switch but did not so don't know if that had any effect.

I have monitored the RAM available and running DPP and PS CS4, there is generally around 1GB free. Sometimes it drops below this and purging PS does not seem to make any difference. No matter I can now get on with the job!

Photo Blog

Wheelman wrote:

No matter I can now get on with the job!

Nice! Now, save them pennies...

Seymore
MooreFoto