Topic: Paintshop-PRO 3

I must be the only user of PSP. I never read a reference(WOW what a great program),nothing. Well I.m fr from being a PRO, so I'm sure to be under utilizing it's contents and benefits. I'd like to read of the successes and pitfalls of this program. RED

Re: Paintshop-PRO 3

Oh  I do,  or "did."    Some time ago,  when MS  Xtra Putrid came along, you'll remember that a number of software manufacturers   "jumped on"  the  so called "activation"  bandwagon.

I had an older copy,  and bought  a Suite  with Pro8.    I don't remember whether this was because of activation in later editions,  or whether it would run all the way from  Winhozed 98SE  to Xtra Putrid.

In any case I now use Ubuntu Linux  (GIMP  and digiKam)  most of the time.    I liked Paintshop so much I actually tried  --and failed--  to get it to run in Linux

Hey RED... and welcome.

I've  been using PSP since it was just Paint Shop... I think v3 or 4 is where I started, back in the early 90's... am now using PSP XI and still think it does everything I want to do. I did have to up the HP of my machine, due to getting into layers, but it still get the job done that I need it to do and works OK w/Win7. I've had it freeze a few times over the last year of W7, but rarely lost more changes than I could catch back up with in just a few mins.

One of the huge benies (AFAIC) is the price. What, like $45 is what I got my PSPXI disk for. No book or anything else, but I didn't feel like throwing away $400+ on "that other" SW package, that "everyone else" uses.

So, what version are you using? I know they changed the numbering sequence on this, so I'm not up on what the latest ver is...

Last edited by Seymore (2011-04-24 20:53:24)

Seymore
MooreFoto

Seymore,  does this software now require  "activation?"

440roadrunner wrote:

Seymore,  does this software now require  "activation?"

Only if you want, but you do have to put up with a monthly nag screen if you don't.

Seymore
MooreFoto

Hello Seymour And roadrunner, Thanks foir the replies. I'm quite the newbee at these kinds of programs. My machine lost it's mind so my guru installed W7and it seems to do better, lots better than vista. Just my bought-over-the-net no disk PSpro3 didn't come along and the PW& stuff don't seem to work. All i have right now is a Picassa win. freebie. Next purchase its" GIMMIE THE DISK!"

I've also been using PSP since V4, or thereabouts. I grew up with it, could never justify the cost of PS, and it still does pretty much all I need. I'm still using V9, and although I have downloaded trial versions of more recent versions, there are things that I don't like so much (file browser), but others that would no doubt come in useful. Partly, I can't be bothered with learning new ways; I do use PS (CS4) at work, but what I do there is even more limited than at home, so not too irksome. Have to watch my use of keyboard shortcuts though!

I don't tend to do much fancy stuff with my pics, and V9 runs fine on W7, so I don't expect to change for a while.

Canon EF & AE1, Minolta 7s, Vitomatic IIa, Olympus 35 RC, various pinhole jobs
Blog: http://ausalba.blogspot.com/

Hey!  I used Print Shop 1 (it was freeware, 1989(?)) and subsequent versions until it became too bloated lol  I'm pretty sure it is still installed on my 386.

I switched to irfanview in latter 1990's because it is free and has command-line features for script processing -- dcraw for raw development, irfanview for saturation, resize, sharpen, format conversion, my quick method using scripts.  For critical work I use Canon DPP for most PP, Curves in PSE...  Anxiously awaiting for 16-bit support in GIMP!

Canon 5Dc, Spotmatics II, F, ESII, Pentax 6x7
S-M-C Takumars 17-500mm (18 lenses), S-M-C Macro-Takumars 50 & 100mm, S-M-C Bellows Takumar, Macro-Takumar 50/4 1:1, S-M-C Takumars/6x7 55-200mm (7 lenses)