Topic: Lock exposure/tone Epson Scan software

Does anyone know a way to lock exposures and tonal settings for scanning with the 'Epson Scan' software?

I'm trying to get a bunch of velvia to have same tonal results, and a bunch of Tri-X to have same 'scanning exposure' without fiddling around with the individual setting for each 'marquee'd' selection (if that makes sense)

I'm not using the 'thumbnail' option (would prefer not to), but I've looked for a setting with thumbnail 'selected' and 'unselected' and cannot find anything...

website -- > www.butterpeanut.com
flickr    -- > flickr/photos/andrewaaa5

Re: Lock exposure/tone Epson Scan software

Yeah, I feel your pain. It always goes to the automatic settings when changing the selection.
I remember that I managed to disable that a long time ago; I cannot recall exactly the steps I followed (I remember it not being very user-friendly). I will try when I am back home and let you know if I remember how to do it.

I did try the 'save' button at the top of the 'professional' mode, but this saved everything, including the 'marquee marks',, which was not ideal, and once saved, the settings could not be altered, nor the marquees moved with out resetting all values. A very annoying piece of software. Ah well.

On a side note, I am half tempted to give up shooting 'film' in colour due to scanning issues.
Scanning B&W is so much easier/faster sad

andrewaaa5 wrote:

I did try the 'save' button at the top of the 'professional' mode, but this saved everything, including the 'marquee marks',, which was not ideal, and once saved, the settings could not be altered, nor the marquees moved with out resetting all values. A very annoying piece of software. Ah well.

On a side note, I am half tempted to give up shooting 'film' in colour due to scanning issues.
Scanning B&W is so much easier/faster sad

Yeah, I got to that point also, but I guessed it was not what you wanted. I'll let you know if I remember how to do it.

Update: I started scanning again with the V500 and found the setting you were asking about: in professional mode, you click in "Configuration ..." at the bottom of the screen, then select the "Color" tab and uncheck the "Continuous auto exposure" checkbox. That will make the software not to change anything if you move the marquee or even if you preview another picture, zoom, etc. Combine that with the saved settings (accessible at the top of the screen) and the autoexposure button (the sphere with two triangles) and managing the scanning is much easier and predictable.

It's been a long time, I hope it is still of use to you...

oh great. I will test this option when I scan my next batch. Thanks very much for the update.

Vuescan will make you happy.....

Mark.
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II // Canon EOS 350D // Leica R7 // Bronica SQ-B // Olympus 35SP // Olympus XA
Lenslist: click

Maybe I should try vuescan again... I remember trying it out when I bought the V500 and I found three issues: it did not run correctly in my Windows XP (I never found the reason), the test scans I made were not significantly sharper than what I was getting from the Epson software, and the multiexposure (is that the name in Vuescan?) did not yield significantly improved dynamic range when scanning slides. I passed on it and kept using the Epson software, I've been generally happy with it.
Oh, how I'd love to have a Nikon LS9000...

I have the LS8000 and I use a glass holder and I love it!
It takes time to get to know Vuescan, the manual is not very good, but there are ways to learn on the internet. I know enjoy using it....

Mark.
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II // Canon EOS 350D // Leica R7 // Bronica SQ-B // Olympus 35SP // Olympus XA
Lenslist: click

al wrote:

Update: I started scanning again with the V500 and found the setting you were asking about: in professional mode, you click in "Configuration ..." at the bottom of the screen, then select the "Color" tab and uncheck the "Continuous auto exposure" checkbox. That will make the software not to change anything if you move the marquee or even if you preview another picture, zoom, etc. Combine that with the saved settings (accessible at the top of the screen) and the autoexposure button (the sphere with two triangles) and managing the scanning is much easier and predictable.

I finally got around to using this feature (just got some COL NEG back). It works very well. I am really grateful. Thanks again.

andrewaaa5 wrote:
al wrote:

I finally got around to using this feature (just got some COL NEG back). It works very well. I am really grateful. Thanks again.

Glad to hear it worked for you!