Topic: Can you kill fungus by freezing?

It was 0F when I woke up this morning. Guess my mind is on the cold. For those with fungus in their lens - can you kill fungus by freezing?

Re: Can you kill fungus by freezing?

I doubt it - they obviously won't grow when frozen, but they'll perk right up (in as much as a fungus perks up) when they're thawed.

Nikon F3HP, F4S, FM, D70S. MF Nikkor 24/2.8,35/2.0,50/1.8,85/2.0,105/2.5,180/2.8,200/4.0,AF Nikkor 18-70/3.5-4.5,70-300/4.0-5.6,AF Sigma 105/2.8 macro.
Olympus OM-4T. Zuiko 28/2.8,35/2.8,50/1.4,50/3.5 macro,85/2.0,200/4.0,35-70/3.6,65-200/4.0.
Contax 137MA+Yashica 50/2.0.
Currently outfitting new darkroom (plumbing).

I think it depends.   If fungus is active (moist) when frozen, cells may be punctured and burst, effectively killing it, but it only takes one surviving cell, which perhaps had little moisture, to continue growing later.  Dead cells provide a near-perfect medium and structure for re-infection and growth.

What I wonder is would an anti-fungal such as Tea Tree oil used in solvent for cleaning non-optic parts would kill future fungus infection & prevent growth?

Like attracts like!

siriusdogstar wrote:

I think it depends.   If fungus is active (moist) when frozen, cells may be punctured and burst, effectively killing it, but it only takes one surviving cell, which perhaps had little moisture, to continue growing later.  Dead cells provide a near-perfect medium and structure for re-infection and growth.

What I wonder is would an anti-fungal such as Tea Tree oil used in solvent for cleaning non-optic parts would kill future fungus infection & prevent growth?

All carbon-based life forms need water.
If lenses are kept dry, fungus dies.
And there are no reasons to be aware of "reinfection".
ALL of Your lenses, if ever used, have deposit of hundreds,
or thousands of spores.
They ARE infected already,  fungus just does not grow yet,
because dry conditions are preventing it smile
Fungal spores are present even in stratosphere.
They are durable, heavy-duty containers for life distribution.
They can survive "space like" freezing cold, radiation and can wait years
for drop of water and proper temperature.
Allergic person is concious that depending on season and place
there can be even several millions of spores in one cubic meter of air.
So if You can see some tiny dust particles inside, spores ARE present, for sure.
So just keep lenses dry, do not let water to condensate inside the lens.
Fungus does co-operate with bacteria and in humid environment can consume
organic based paint and does not need such  special food as dead cells.
But usually there is enough organic matter to consume in dust inside lens as well.

So, briefly in four points:
- Fungus is present as spores in virtually any lens (exception - maybe NASA can keep some perfectly clean smile)
- If lenses are kept dry, fungus does not grow.
- If water can condensate inside the lens, fungus can start it's growing
- Growing fungus dies when it's too dry for it.

JUST KEEP LENSES DRY.

Last edited by wariag (2009-12-16 21:07:02)

Actual favorites:(PL)?ZK Edar 2.8/100, (USSR) Mir-1w 37/2.8, Fujinon 1.8/55,
Helios-44-x 2/58, Jupiter-37A 3.5/135, Jupiter-21M 4/200, CZJ Prakticar 4/300
(D) Primotar 3.5/135,  Telemegor 5.5/180 Orestor 2.8/135 and Orestegor 4/200
My humble gallery:

fungus metabolic waste is acidic which etches coatings and glass.

Like attracts like!

At the first signs of a fungus growth on any of your elements I recommend cleaning them with an ultra strong fungicidal solution like Wickes Fungicidal Wash, assuming you are able to remove them for cleaning of course.  The front face of the front and rear elements can be cleaned without having to remove them but if you have fungus inside your lens then you should think about investing in an element retaining ring removal tool, which are available on ebay.
One application of the said solution will kill any fungus stone dead...It also kills Mould, Moss, Algae, and Lichen so you can peace of mind knowing you wont have to worry about any those afflicting your elements either. wink