Topic: Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom lenses - anyone?

http://www.gloryman.com.tw/prod_pic_sho … &pic=0

Last edited by stingOM (2009-11-29 22:10:19)

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom lenses - anyone?

Hi,

I've discovered a pair of 35-70 with Canon FD mount at the store of one of my local sellers here ...
Unluckily, i don't have a Canon body for testing ...

Didn't know that these zooms were available in Nikon mount, too ... The only one i saw before was an M42 one, on eBay, and i lost the bid ...

Sorry if this doesn't help too much ...

Cheers

Pentax K10D & Canon 5D Mk II & Meyer, Nikon, Schacht, Steinheil, Tamron, Zuiko lenses &:
Takumar:24/3.5, 28/3.5, 35/2, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2.8, 120/2.8, 135/3.5, 150/4, 200/4
Pentax:M28/2.8, K28/3.5, M50/1.4, A50/1.7, K85/1.8, K105/2.8, K135/2.5, M200/4
CZJ:Flektogon 20/2.8 & 20/4 & 35/2.4 & 35/2.8, Pancolar 50/1.8, Biotar 58/2, Sonnar 135/3.5 & 180/2.8

I have my doubts if this is real zeiss glas, since some japan made glas was sold in the last days of carl zeiss and pentacon too.

The last and only zooms were was build in the Jena was the Vario-Pancolar 35-70 / f2.4-3.7 and the Vario-Sonnar 80-200 / f4.
In PB mount they are labeled Vario-Prakticar.

I have two version of the 35-70 in M42 mount. Both have a wonderfull macro mode and are fun to use. In the default mode one lens is unsharp - the service don't find any of centering - its aligend fine - but unsharp. The other one is sharp and works like a mixture between a Flektogon 35 and a Pancolar 50.

Its a nice construction without pumping any dust into the camera body - the lens is closed at the end. But the inner construction is not so robust as the older lenses - lots of plastic the service men said.

Last edited by as (2009-11-30 12:07:53)

Canon 350D & 5D, CZJ: Flek 20/2.8, 35/2.4, Pancolar 2.7/35-70, 50/1.8, 80/1.8, Sonnar 135/3.5, 200/2.8, A2 Tamron: SP 2.8/35-80, PC-Nikkor 2.8/35 - Germany

I'm a Jenazoom made in Japan owner and have their 28-70mm f2.8 in PKA mount.

The "Carl Zeiss Jena" brand was sold to the Japanese at one time, so quite a few knock-offs received the proud "Zeiss" badge. Needless to say most of them are mediocre, with only a handful reaching the 'somewhat good' territory. That said, Jena made a few zooms for M42 and Praktikar bayonet mounts.

The name is not sold, but batch licensed, ( just as Leica lens for Panasonic today but without much of todays technical requirement ). To my knowledge, Carl Zeiss Jena offer only 2 zoom ever real from them for 35mm photography, in M42 and Praktica B, the 80-200/4.0 and the 35-70/2.7-3.5 , named Vario-Prakticar in B mount and Vario-Sonnar ( for the Tele ) and Vario-Pancolar ( the std zoom ) in M42

Both are pretty amazingly good if hard to find lens to had

aoleg wrote:

The "Carl Zeiss Jena" brand was sold to the Japanese at one time, so quite a few knock-offs received the proud "Zeiss" badge. Needless to say most of them are mediocre, with only a handful reaching the 'somewhat good' territory. That said, Jena made a few zooms for M42 and Praktikar bayonet mounts.

On average this very topic crops up on various forums I am aware of, three or four times a year.

These are what I call the "British" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The British importers at the time owned the Carl Zeiss Jena name for that market and was able to source lenses, mainly from Sigma, and sold them as Carl Zeiss Jenas, as they also represented Sigma, along with a number of other brands, in the UK.

So the Carl Zeiss Jena name was NEVER sold to the Japanese, and they're certainly not knock-offs.

Seele wrote:

These are what I call the "British" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The British importers at the time owned the Carl Zeiss Jena name for that market and was able to source lenses, mainly from Sigma, and sold them as Carl Zeiss Jenas, as they also represented Sigma, along with a number of other brands, in the UK.

So the Carl Zeiss Jena name was NEVER sold to the Japanese, and they're certainly not knock-offs.

Not exactly :
1- They were sold not only from england but , ie, the main french wholesaler sold a lot of theses lenses in the +- 1985 period
2- The carl Zeiss Iena "name only" lense were mainly Cosina and Samyang manufactured

i use : Om2 sp + Zuiko 55/1.2 & 65/200
+ Sigma 14mm & 16mm & 18/35 + Kiron 105 + Cosina 100/500 + T32 & T10
I sell  : OM10 OM2 OM4t + md1 md2 + Nicd pack + Zuiko 24/2.8 28/3.5 50/1.8 -1.4 - macro & 35/70 3.6 & 500 & 2xA + T32 T10 + access.
+ Fishe eye soligor + Sigma 21/35 & 1000+  Vivitar 75/150 &Doubler + Tokina 70/210 3.5 + Tamron 28/200 + Kiron 28/105 + 300 mirror + 500 mirror + Macro panagor

pbfacts wrote:
Seele wrote:

Not exactly :
1- They were sold not only from england but , ie, the main french wholesaler sold a lot of theses lenses in the +- 1985 period
2- The carl Zeiss Iena "name only" lense were mainly Cosina and Samyang manufactured

Not quite:

1. The British distributor, the twin company of CZ Scientific Instruments, and Carl Zeiss Jena Ltd, also sold these things overseas, after the 1985 amalgamation of nearly all the photographic manufacturers in the then DDR.

2. I have a copy of the Jenazoom II catalogue and a lot of these lenses seem to be corresponding to Sigma lenses, but of course, there were some Cosina-sourced ones it seems, and perhaps Samyang as well.

Seele wrote:
pbfacts wrote:
Seele wrote:

Not exactly :

Not quite:

1. The British distributor, the twin company of CZ Scientific Instruments, and Carl Zeiss Jena Ltd, also sold these things overseas, after the 1985 amalgamation of nearly all the photographic manufacturers in the then DDR.

2. I have a copy of the Jenazoom II catalogue and a lot of these lenses seem to be corresponding to Sigma lenses, but of course, there were some Cosina-sourced ones it seems, and perhaps Samyang as well.

Cheers guys - now the bottom line - are they any good?

stingOM wrote:

Cheers guys - now the bottom line - are they any good?

Nope. Most of those Japanese 'Jena zooms' were quite mediocre. I used 'most' as there might be an accidental gem or two taht I've never heard of. The chances are pretty low for that.

Last edited by aoleg (2009-11-30 22:44:47)

I bought the 75-300mm last year and have owned the 35-70mm for a couple of days.
I have tested the 35-70 against a test chart but have yet to do this with the 75-300.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v … hp?t=15423

It stands up well against two of the best of the Tamron SP MF range.

Last edited by e6filmuser (2011-12-15 17:04:14)

I've got  the 70-210 f2.8-4 "carl zeiss" zoom in Praktica bayonet mount. I've only got it because it came with a camera I brought off e-bay.Definately states on it "lenses made in Japan".
I've tried it out of course , performance is ok but it is a big heavy lens so much so that if it is in the 210mm position (one touch zoom) and angled upwards then its own weight will slide it back down to the 70mm position. The faster f2.8 is useful but no more so than using a 135mm f2.8.
One other thing or quirk , I found another copy of this lens on e-bay (they do seem to fetch a decent price) and the seller was pointing out that when it was stopped down the iris wasn't perfectly round as if a couple of blades weren't travelling as far as they should. I checked my copy out and it was identical, the e-bay seller had posted a close up of the iris so I could check this clearly.
I've since seen this lens in m42, OM and Pentax K and I think also in a Minolta mount although I could be wrong about the last one.

Pete

I'm working on it!

Here is a series with my 75-300:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v … 10948&