Topic: M42 lens adapter - how to deal with f/stop pin?

My M42 to Nikon lens adapter came the same time with my M645 lens adapter. Using the M645 lens on a DSLR was quite delightful. Those lenses came to life after a pause of over 30 years. After I completed testing on the M645 lenses, I am now just starting to check the M42 lens. The adapter that I got is without corrective lens. I have 4 different lenses to try on : SMC Takumar 35mm, Soligor 80-200mm, Fujinon EBC 50mm (from Fujica ST801) and Jena 50mm (from Praktica LTL).
My first impression, especially in comparison to the Fotodiox M645 lens adapter is generally that my M42 lens adapter does not fit very snuggly into my DSLR. I felt uncomfortable with a very tiny "movement" between the lens and the camera. It is not like the M645 adapter, in which there is a spring loaded device to keep the adapter fit nicely with the camera.
My second observation is as follows, and perhaps someone can provide advice on how to overcome the problem:
1. SMC 35mm and Soligor zoom lens - they have both a switch to change from Manual (M) to Automatic (A). This works OK. I tried some photos with the SMC and I am generally happy with it. I did not try my Soligor yet, as it is rather heavy and lengthty and therefore I do not want to stress the connection to my DSLR. 
2. The Fujinon lens does not have the M and A switch. To change aperture manually, the pin on the back has to be pushed in.
3. The Jena lens also does not have the M and A switch, but there is a lever next to the aperture ring (which was used to check depth of field), and when this lever is pressed, the aperture diapraghm closes to the required f/stop.

My question is how to handle with cases no. 2 and 3 above?
Secondly, does a brand of M42 lens adapter have a better fit than another? anyone who uses M42 lens adapter has similar experience that it does not fit snuggly?   
Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: M42 lens adapter - how to deal with f/stop pin?

Case 3 is just like case 1: focus wide open, press and hold the stop-down lever while releasing the shutter.  Case 2 is a problem, as you are left with no way to stop down the lens.  There are adapters with a ledge at the rear which depresses the pin as you screw the lens into the adapter, but these can be problematic because of variations between one lens and another.  The best solution is a lens with an AM switch or a DOF preview lever.

The slight amount of play that you feel in the bayonet can be disconcerting, but I don't think you'll find it to be a great problem in practice.

on top of all my other medical problems, now they tell me i have hypochondria .....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26262745@N08/

Hey aniramca,

Which adapter did you get for Nikon?  Does it have optics?

My M42 to Nikon adapter does not have an optic component. It is relatively cheap (from fotodiox), and it is OK. I have not played around much more than trying on my Takumar 35mm lens. It does not fit snuggly, but it is OK. Somehow it does not bother me much that it did not focus to infinity, as I used it to take photos of near objects (flowers, etc.)
See photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/FS … ensAdapter

On my lenses that do not have an automatic/manual switch I held the pin closed and put a tiny drop of super glue next to the pin and held it closed until the glue set. If you ever want to remove the glue acetone will dissolve the super glue.
Hope this helps!
Mxxxii

In my case superglue worked a treat

I hope for a fitting adapter with flange: http://forum.mflenses.com/m42-to-sonyaf … 16381.html because I don't want to handle my Ultron 1.8/50 with glue, since i like to use it on the Voigtl

there are m42 to nikon adapters which have this inner ring to push-in the autopin.  Send me an email if you need more info.

Hi,

Minolfan wrote:

I hope for a fitting adapter with flange: http://forum.mflenses.com/m42-to-sonyaf … 16381.html because I don't want to handle my Ultron 1.8/50 with glue, since i like to use it on the Voigtl

Last edited by indianadinos (2009-07-28 18:42:25)

Pentax K10D & Canon 5D Mk II & Meyer, Nikon, Schacht, Steinheil, Tamron, Zuiko lenses &:
Takumar:24/3.5, 28/3.5, 35/2, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2.8, 120/2.8, 135/3.5, 150/4, 200/4
Pentax:M28/2.8, K28/3.5, M50/1.4, A50/1.7, K85/1.8, K105/2.8, K135/2.5, M200/4
CZJ:Flektogon 20/2.8 & 20/4 & 35/2.4 & 35/2.8, Pancolar 50/1.8, Biotar 58/2, Sonnar 135/3.5 & 180/2.8

I agree that it works for somem lenses that are easy to open the mountside and do someyhing to stop the auto aperture function. As I did for tha adaptall-2. For some other lenses - AFAIK the Ultron - are not that simple to modify. So it would be very pleasant to have an adapter with flange if possible.

Posts [ 10 ]

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply