Re: How do you back up your photos?

External HD is now so cheap I don't bother with messing about with DVDs. For archival storage use 250GB and/or 500GB portable drives. I just paid £40 for a 500GB one, now that my 250GB is full. I also have a 1TB external drive connected to the PC to back my main drive. The computer itself has two 150GB drives and I only keep original files on it for a couple of weeks. External storage is so cheap and quick it isn't a problem. I used to make two DVD back ups of my pictures. It was a pain. IMO the DVD is dead as a storage medium I now only use them to give people pictures.
On line storage? Even if you pay Flickr or any other Company for a pro A/c they will close it at their discretion. You are putting your trust into a company that couldn't care less about the individual.

I also use HDs.. and rsync. However the cloud could save you from a fire and/or a burglary etc...

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

my solution:

1. i shoot film ! slides and negs can last hundred years if well stored!
2. i scan and burn on MAM dvd (mitsui), TIF + Jpeg. each 5 years a new copy.
3. i Print on archival papers (permajet) my favorites.

will someone see your photos in year 2150 ?

OLYMPUS OM4, OM4-TI, OM2N - ZUIKO: 24mm f:2.8 - 28mm f:2 -  35mm f:2 - 50mm f:2 macro -  90mm f:2 macro
NIKON FE2: nikkor 28mm f2.8 AI-S, CANON AE1: 50mm f:1.4 S.S.C, KONICA TC: 40mm f:1.8, 50mm f:1.4, 50mm f:1.7, 85mm f:1.7, MINOLTA XD7: 50mm MD f:1.4, 55mm MC f:1.4, 45mm f:2, YASHICA T4, ROLLEI PREGO 35-70,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/al_khawarizmi/

My brother sent me this link yesterday, seems appropriate to this thread....

http://trn.trains.com/Interactive/Web%2 … 0heel.aspx

Geoff

Thanks very much for sharing that link Geoff! big_smile

I have ~400 kodak gold cds I burned ~10 years ago that all seem fine.  Those are audio -- I'd never trust data to silver or gold media for more than temporary sneaker-net use.

Over the years I've used multiple copies, on multiple hdd, in multiple locations, upgrading to newer bigger faster hdd as they become economical.  Soon I'll be upgrading the 320GB 3.5" external satas to 1T 2.5" satas in external cases only slightly larger than the 2.5" hdd itself -- shirt-pocket size(!).  The 1T 2.5" satas are dropping near US$100.  Cases are less than US$10.

Canon 5Dc, Spotmatics II, F, ESII, Pentax 6x7
S-M-C Takumars 17-500mm (18 lenses), S-M-C Macro-Takumars 50 & 100mm, S-M-C Bellows Takumar, Macro-Takumar 50/4 1:1, S-M-C Takumars/6x7 55-200mm (7 lenses)

Yeah I just did try out a couple of USB enclosures (IDE and SATA) that costs less than 4 pounds, so far they seem fine... Given a 2.5" 250GB disk costs nearly as much as a couple of boxes of DVDs, there's clearly an option here!

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

The best option (and reliable too) is to go with HDD space providers who ensure that your data will be safe.  It will be easier if you want to share your files with somebody else, whom you prefer.  There are cheap service providers for this and free services are also available.  Please try any of those.

Well, that kind of usage pretty much all go against my idea of backup. But then I start computing way back ( I mean way back as in using hard type terminal on a PDP-11 ). I think these days very few people ( other than us old system nerds ) actually take note of the term, cold, hot, and warm backup .... and not to mention Archive. No it had nothing to do with the kitchen stove either.

But Any of those Online or Cloud based copy of your files can only be termed WARM backup ( its not connected but its there when you want it, just connect ). Hot Backup via another Copy on the NAS, RAID, or Intranet. True Backup as old classic term goes was pretty much by Tape in old days, and I would say with DVD or DVD RAID these days, and oen would want at least 2 copy , one on site, and one off site , and they should be most generic formated and cataloged so any computer can easily access ( you won't have your main computer when you need that cause its already failed ).

True Archive in digital form is hard to come by. When I am a Junior Programmer, our Archives are actual physical print out of the codes in stacks of fanfold paper output from that old dot matrix. Image file is hard to do with that, but a nice hard high quality physical print is definitely the way to go.

In any case, the motto is to have a Contingency plan, what to do if things fails. Say on my PC, I have burn a set of recovery and boot onto a USB flash drive which can be used to boot the PC, and with it ability to retrieve or save data on disk ( so long its not physically broken )

Last edited by FTL (2011-09-02 06:35:12)