Topic: How do you back up your photos?

Hi Folks,

I am still stuck using my old Celeron 1 GHz processor notebook PC + 200 Gb external HD. At the moment I have 16 Gb of photos all stored together in my external HD. I don't have a DVD writer so, it will take too long to back up these files using a very slow 4x CD writer. Can someone recommend a better way to back up my photos.

How about a couple of 4 GB momery sticks? May be it is a crazy idea.

Thanks!

Last edited by stingOM (2008-10-27 01:59:01)

Re: How do you back up your photos?

Have you considered buying an external DVD burner?  Or do what I used to do with my CD burner and set one to burn every night before going to bed and in a few weeks you will have everything backed up.

I burn everything onto DVD, twice. If you don't have any backup at the moment, then a memory stick is better than nothing!

Maybe you should consider online backup. There are many such services available. I use one called "Carbonite". I use online backup as my "secondary" backup strategy. I also use an attached removable hard drive as "primary" backup. The online service provides me with offsite backup, so that in the event of physical damage to my primary backup, the online backup should be unaffected.

phaedrus1962 wrote:

Maybe you should consider online backup. There are many such services available. I use one called "Carbonite". I use online backup as my "secondary" backup strategy. I also use an attached removable hard drive as "primary" backup. The online service provides me with offsite backup, so that in the event of physical damage to my primary backup, the online backup should be unaffected.

Is that realistic for 16GB? That can take a long, long time to upload. I'm often generating 10GB per shoot, so this would not be feasible.

I was using two separate external 500Gb drives and a program called viceversa to syncronize the two units. Initially I used only one, but one day it wasn't recognized by the pc so I bought another one; the second unit kept unplugged from the pc and power, except when doing the backup copy, the main backup unit always connected to the pc.
Kept the pictures of the last three months or so in the internal hd of the pc, and in the two backup units. Older pictures, only in the backup units, except the selected/portfolio ones that lived in another location of the internal hd.

stingOM:  buy a DVD burner.

Being I was in IT for over 20 years, I use a 2nd machine with a 500G drive to backup. And actually, I have my images on about 4-6 drives on 3 different machines depending on which camera was used.

But I agree, the easier way is a DVD burner.

Seymore
MooreFoto

I also make multiple mirrors using rsync. Across the LAN first, and on external eSATA disk next. One of these goes live at someone else's place.

DVDs are now too small for the amount of data. Considering their failure rate, the more you have to burn to make a single backup, the more chance you have to have one failing

I know it's not applicable to you, but "TimeMachine" is great for backups on macs...

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

buze wrote:

DVDs are now too small for the amount of data. Considering their failure rate, the more you have to burn to make a single backup, the more chance you have to have one failing

This is why I burn two DVDs. Cheap insurance. Yes, they are getting a bit small but dual layers discs are 10x the price. I look forward to Bluray dropping in price!

OK, I will invest on a cheap DVD burner + another external HD for now. It would a really nice one with blueray capability, but I am afraird my PC would be able to handle it as I only have 10Gb HD + 356Mb of memory.

Cheers.
Simon

Last edited by stingOM (2008-10-27 14:22:06)

I'd be wary of what you trust to DVD. Only use the best quality archival DVDs (Taiyo Yuden have a good name I think)

Canon EOS30D, Sony NEX-3
Favourite M/F lenses: Nikkor 50/1.4 pre-AI, Zuiko 50/1.4, Flek 35/2.4, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, Macro-Tak 50/4 preset *NEW* Jupiter-8 and more rangefinder lenses to come!
Favourite (and only) AF lens: Sigma 12-24

buze wrote:

There is the failure issue, but IMO that's going to be an issue with any medium.  A single-layer DVD is just about right for one 4x5 photo, including the PSD file and all sizes of TIFFs for printing. 

Sorry about your 8x10 files.....  :-P

I don't backup the 'raw' scans, only the processed ones. All I lose if I lose these files is time; the original is nice and safe on acetate :-)

In fact, given my scanning technics evolves slowly but steadily, it's not a bad idea to 'rescan'; I have a few that could clearly benefit from my improved methods...

I just don't trust DVDs period, it's just a failed medium for me, just as bad as Floppy Disk were (the latest 3.5 ones). I call them "read once" medium instead of "write once"; because it's a lot more accurate !

Canon 5DII and a few lens -- Tachihara 8x10. Chamonix 45N-1, Crown Graphic 4x5. Moskva, Zeiss Super Ikonta C
Bronica S2A, Agfa Super Isolette, Iskra, Rolleiflex. Leica M2, Bessa R, Zorki 1,3,3M and a few more...

RAW files on a DVD and processed images, including scans from both film and digital, on a remote hard drive, in addition to the drive on my computer. I have had one DVD fail, and don't hold out too much hope for them long term.

Having lived through more types of digital storage media than you can shake a stick at, starting with punched paper tape and cards, these things all have very limited periods when they are usable, and unless you religiously transfer everything to the latest format - not always possible, different operating systems - you are doomed to lose information. Anybody remember 8 inch floppies and, more recently, ZIP drives?

Like Buze, my "secure" back up is on acetate, I have scannable negatives going back over 40 years, that's an infinite period in digital terms wink

Currently using Canon 5DII and Sony a6500 with Olympus, Pentax, Canon and M42 converters.

Photo Blog

Matus Kalisky wrote:

So I recently changed to using an online backup service copies it runs continuously in the background so you don't have to remember to backup your files and are inexpensive. Personally I use ZenOK Online Backup. and it does pretty good.

That Zenok site looks very good! Thanks for the pointer.

Hi,

Since i use only digital cameras now, i use a NAS server for "quick-and-dirty" storage and DVD backup, while my slides (mostly Ektachrome 64) and prints (mostly Cybachrome) are stored in a quite safe environment.

And i know that in about five or six years i will have to scan my slides and prints and refresh my DVD backups :-( ...

Cheers

Pentax K10D & Canon 5D Mk II & Meyer, Nikon, Schacht, Steinheil, Tamron, Zuiko lenses &:
Takumar:24/3.5, 28/3.5, 35/2, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2.8, 120/2.8, 135/3.5, 150/4, 200/4
Pentax:M28/2.8, K28/3.5, M50/1.4, A50/1.7, K85/1.8, K105/2.8, K135/2.5, M200/4
CZJ:Flektogon 20/2.8 & 20/4 & 35/2.4 & 35/2.8, Pancolar 50/1.8, Biotar 58/2, Sonnar 135/3.5 & 180/2.8

This has become a big concern for me lately. I will have to choose one of the online backup systems. The ZenOK one is limited to 150GB, which is no good for me, but there are others such as Amazon S3, Crashplan, Mozy, Cube Global Storage and Carbonite.

I took another look at Crashplan. It seems the most interesting. It does what Mozy and Carbonite do, but there is also the option of backing up to a remote friend's computer for free rather than paying for online storage. This could be a nice way for small groups of friends to help each other out.

I looked at S3 very recently, and IMO it's too expensive right now, also, it eats a huge amount of bandwidth.
Instead, I now have a SATA USB dock -(15 quid of eBay, 2 bays) and Naked SATA disks I alternate. I also keep a copy offsite... Since you can get excellent 1TB server grade for cheap nowadays...

That's a lot cheaper than S3! I did a bit of a calculation and to keep a ~300GB archive and access it 'lightly' it's pretty quickly $100/month...

I'll have a look at crash plan too...

Sting, realistically its about time you upgrade your hardware. I am not talking about cutting edge configuration. If you are not too much into hardcore PS and loads of such. Just more up to date in RAM / CPU / Storage. As far as backup goes, can't beat the DVD-ROM option , A couple of 16GB USB storage unit can be a quick fix but not for really archiving / backup. Another option is those DIY Harddisk Dock.

Just last week I transform my 1GB RAM + 160GB HDD + ATOM N450 netbook with an up to date Linux ( specifically its Mint 9 KDE ) and load my usual Photography related software ( Hugin, Luminance, Gimp, Digikam, UFRAW, RAWTherapee .. and some small ones ) and of course bunch of system utilities. And now I had myself a somewhat portable platform. That goes with ( what I left at home ) an external 1TB HD and DVD R/W drive.

FTL wrote:

Sting, realistically its about time you upgrade your hardware. I am not talking about cutting edge configuration. If you are not too much into hardcore PS and loads of such. Just more up to date in RAM / CPU / Storage. As far as backup goes, can't beat the DVD-ROM option , A couple of 16GB USB storage unit can be a quick fix but not for really archiving / backup. Another option is those DIY Harddisk Dock.

Just last week I transform my 1GB RAM + 160GB HDD + ATOM N450 netbook with an up to date Linux ( specifically its Mint 9 KDE ) and load my usual Photography related software ( Hugin, Luminance, Gimp, Digikam, UFRAW, RAWTherapee .. and some small ones ) and of course bunch of system utilities. And now I had myself a somewhat portable platform. That goes with ( what I left at home ) an external 1TB HD and DVD R/W drive.

Yeah, I know my PC is now a banger! I can't afford to upgrade right now. But I do have a 200GB and 750GBH for backups. I think online option is good in case of burgerly or house fire!!

I'm giving Crashplan a try. Will report back later when I've used it for a while.

Erhm... What's wrong with flickr pro?

Arcum wrote:

Erhm... What's wrong with flickr pro?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/02 … _4000_pix/

;-)

Seriously, putting /all/ your faith in cloud stuff is very, very dangerous. I'd rather trust DVDs at that rate !