Topic: Lens Mount Adapters

I have three film-camera systems: Olympus OM, Leica thread, and EOS.  I am thinking of getting a digital SLR that could use some of them (preferably the OM) but don't know what adapters are available.

Any suggestions for specific adapters or sources?

What appeals to me most so far is OM to 4/3--but are there any adapters that would preserve the auto diaphragm?

Re: Lens Mount Adapters

No auto diaphragm, stop down metering like the 1950's.
You can't use the Leica screw mount lenses, but you certainly can use the Olympus OM lenses with a EOS digital body. I use the Rebel XSi which is fantastic.

For an adapter search ebay using keywords 'olympus eos adapter'

I've got 3 brands of adapters for Oly to EOS.  All my adapters work fine.  One is focus-confimation, the others are not.  The idea of the focus-confirmation chip/adapter is that the appropriate focus point in your EOS viewfinder lights up when that portion of the picture is in focus.  Some people like this feature, others don't, some are indifferent.  Many question how accurate these chipped adapters are, others swear by them.   Check e-bay and you'll find many sources.   Many alternate lenses, work very well with EOS cameras if you're prepared for MF and stop-down-metering.  Olympus are among the most popular as they are high quality and easy to adapt.

FWIW, I've got an EOS 20D and 5D.  The full-frame 5D camera works much better for MF lenses.  The viewfinder is bigger and brighter.  The newer 40D and 50D have improved viewfinders and preview, but I've not used either and can't comment on the ease of MF lenses with those cameras.

For adapter you can buy ones from Fotodiox. The adapters are good and fits nicely. For AF confirm adapters you can get it from Rudolph http://myworld.ebay.com/happypagehk/ . His adapter are slightly expensive but he codes the AF chip to show right EXIF data and his adapters reach infinity. I have few adapters from him and very happy on the quality.

Canon EOS 5D and some lenses

You might also want to check out the Oly DSLRs, and perhaps the new Panasonic Lumix G1 "micro 2/3".

I just had the chance to borrow an E-420 for a bit and loved it--small and light, which is what sold me on the OM-1, -2, and -4. But I really missed stabilization, so I want to try a 520.

The Micro interest me mightily, too -- no in-body stabilization but it has a movable LCD, a feature I find very useful in my Minolta A1.  And I don't mind an EVF in principle--I'm used to that in the A1--but would prefer one with a lot more pixels, which the Panasonic provides.

Lenses I own right now include:

For EOS,  Canon 50mm f/1.8, 25-85mm zoom, and a non-Canon 28-300 (Tamron, I think).
For OM: another non-OEM 28-300, plus a Zuiko 24mm/2. 35/2, 50/1.4, and 85/2.
For Leica thread: Canon 50/1.2, Taylor Hobson Cooke 50/2.0, 50mm Hektor (effectively a soft focus due to slight hazing of front element),  50/3.5 Elmar. 35/3.5 Elmar, 50/2.0 Summarit

Bodies: Canon Rebel G and EOS IX, OM-2n & OM-4, Leica III (aka Leica D--~1936)

Excellent lenses in your collection!! Welcome!

IMHO the biggest disadvange of Olympus 4/3 DSLRs when shooting with manual lenses is the 2x crop. Great when you love tele shots, not nice for guys like me.

One of the reasons why I prefer the EOS system...

Mostly in my bag ATM: Fuji X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, Leica M8, Nikon1 V1 and several lenses...
Things ON SALE!

I have both an EOS camera, 350D, and a 4/3 camera, E500, I also have adapters to use old manual lenses on both cameras. Personally I find that with manual lenses both cameras require exposure compensation in the order of -4 stops and that, as far as I have found, is not easily available on the 350D. To get +-4 on the 350D I have to apply +-2 stops of compensation and then exposure bracket around that by another +-2 stops, the problem being that 3 shots i.e. +-0, +-2 and  +-4 have to be taken to get my desired exposure.  I believe the posher Canons have a greater exposure compensation range. I could I suppose use the manual mode in the 350D and simply increase the shutter speed by 4 stops but that isnt always conveient.
The E500 has +-5 available via exposure compensation.

Sandeep wrote:

You can't use the Leica screw mount lenses

I use M39 with adapter rings with internal (full length) M39 female thread and external male M42 (full length). The later also permits M42 caps to be used on reversed M39 lenses, such as Schneider enlarger lenses for macro.

e6filmuser wrote:
Sandeep wrote:

You can't use the Leica screw mount lenses

I use M39 with adapter rings with internal (full length) M39 female thread and external male M42 (full length). The later also permits M42 caps to be used on reversed M39 lenses, such as Schneider enlarger lenses for macro.

Everything is possible as long as your digital camera register is 28.80mm or less

"That rug really tied the room together."  The Dude