Topic: Is there Konica AR lenses to EOS body adapter?

Strange that I can't find anything on this, not even in this forum.

If it's not possible, why? is the Konica AR mount distance to film equal or shorter than Canon's?

Cheers, Will.

Re: Is there Konica AR lenses to EOS body adapter?

Konica AR = 40.5mm

EOS = 44mm

So, at least 3.5mm + the adapter thickness would need to be removed from the Konica barrel.

Konica AR lenses with minor adaptation will work on Olympus E DSLR cameras and possibly no other makes.

meniscus

I've done Konica AR 40/1.8 adaptation to EOS.

The problem is that flange-to-film distance of AR lens is 40.5mm and Canon EF is 44mm. So, 3.5mm (out of 27mm total lens length!) must be cut off in order to have ability to focus to the infinity. This means that aperture ring will be removed with loss of aperture control. More, this kind of modification would not work in general as there is nothing to cut off in this compact lens. 

I used different approach. The optics of this lens is assembled in the barrel, which moves altogether on a multi-entry threads inside another barrel, with ample space left in the back. So, I took the lens apart and moved the inner barrel with optics closer in the direction of camera sensor just using threads. This gave me about 3mm gain.
Then, I took M42-EOS adapter (which is 1.5mm thick) and cut off 0.5mm from the M42 side with a sandpaper. Quick check and voila! I have the infinity! Then, the M42-EOS adapter was drilled and bolted to the lens body using threaded holes in the lens barrel the same way the native Konica mount was attached.

Later, the aperture ring was shaved to fit between the lens and newly bolted adapter, the link to aperture control tab was made and EOS AF-confirm chip was glued onto the lens.

Got it guys, no wonder!

meniscus, I'm waiting for the micro-four-thirds to become available and from what I read it can accommodate an AR adapter (if someone would make/sell such a thing).  I hate to make irreversible changes to my Konica lenses, I still enjoy shooting them on my T4 or FT-1.

Espresso, that's very cool!  You are very comfortable working on lenses, a skill that I envy.

Cheers, Will.

shadowfox wrote:

Got it guys, no wonder!

meniscus, I'm waiting for the micro-four-thirds to become available and from what I read it can accommodate an AR adapter (if someone would make/sell such a thing).  I hate to make irreversible changes to my Konica lenses, I still enjoy shooting them on my T4 or FT-1.

Espresso, that's very cool!  You are very comfortable working on lenses, a skill that I envy.

If you convert a Konica AR lens for use with a regular four-thirds DSLR (e.g. Olympus E-520), you just need to add a 1.5mm shim inside, and 0.4mm outside. You also need to remove the aperture follower lever, but all of that is FULLY reversible if necessary.

Espresso wrote:

The problem is that flange-to-film distance of AR lens is 40.5mm and Canon EF is 44mm. So, 3.5mm (out of 27mm total lens length!) must be cut off in order to have ability to focus to the infinity. This means that aperture ring will be removed with loss of aperture control. More, this kind of modification would not work in general as there is nothing to cut off in this compact lens. 

I used different approach. The optics of this lens is assembled in the barrel, which moves altogether on a multi-entry threads inside another barrel, with ample space left in the back. So, I took the lens apart and moved the inner barrel with optics closer in the direction of camera sensor just using threads. This gave me about 3mm gain.
Then, I took M42-EOS adapter (which is 1.5mm thick) and cut off 0.5mm from the M42 side with a sandpaper. Quick check and voila! I have the infinity! Then, the M42-EOS adapter was drilled and bolted to the lens body using threaded holes in the lens barrel the same way the native Konica mount was attached.

Later, the aperture ring was shaved to fit between the lens and newly bolted adapter, the link to aperture control tab was made and EOS AF-confirm chip was glued onto the lens.

I always read this sort of thing with awe and amazement.
Do you love that glass so much, or were you just curious to see if such a thing could be done?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

I'm currently modifying a Canon FL 58mm F1.2 lens for use on an Olympus E-510.  I think THAT conversion is worth trouble!!!! wink  (it's also quite abit simpler than the above conversion of the Konica AR 40/1.8

Hi, dnas.    I've dug into several FL mount lenses    They are easier to work with generally than the FD mount because

The aperture gear  is easier to modify

Generally on som of these lenses   the entire lens group will come out so that you can play with the focus helix

A couple of these,  I was able to remove the outer focus ring from the brass helix inside,  and rotate and re-index the focus ring--as I also sank the helix deeper--in order to get more focus range.

440roadrunner wrote:

Hi, dnas.    I've dug into several FL mount lenses    They are easier to work with generally than the FD mount because

The aperture gear  is easier to modify

Generally on som of these lenses   the entire lens group will come out so that you can play with the focus helix

A couple of these,  I was able to remove the outer focus ring from the brass helix inside,  and rotate and re-index the focus ring--as I also sank the helix deeper--in order to get more focus range.

Yes, true. The FL is much cleaner and easier than to modify than the FD.

To the OP - Konica to 4/3 is REALLY simple and easily reversible. The conversion to Canon is v complex; you may just want to sell or trade your Hexanons to get another brand. OTOH, like the poster above who modified the Hexanon to Canon EF mount, you may just like the challenge...which I wholeheartedly understand.....

I recently modified a Canon FL 58/1.2 to 4/3 by removing the mount, filing off the protruding parts that remain until infinity focus is achieved, and epoxying on a 4/3 reverse adapter. It's a low tech, simple process, resulting in a nice lens. I've been experimenting with tiny-DoF close-ups of vegetables - I figured that if I could make a potato look good, the lens is a winner!

.                                                too many MF lenses, too little time___________
My Website: (in progress)
My Wife's website: (higher priority) www.sigrids.com

robertro and dnas,

Maybe I've been reading different instructions on the web on how to retrofit AR lenses to 4/3rd mount, but those that I've read, for example:

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=17

... suggested to me that the change is irreversible (removing some piece of protruding metal, how do you reverse that?)

If you guys can point me to a more detailed info on this simple process, I'd appreciate it, I have a spare 50/1.4 that I can use on my E300.  I won't sell that lens, it's one of a kind, too sharp for its own good smile

Cheers, Will.

Here's a page that I put together some time ago that illustrates one such conversion. The only flaw is tha I did not note the exact gauge of the wire that I used.

http://ca.geocities.com/rohonczy/Konica … hirds.html

Enjoy!

.                                                too many MF lenses, too little time___________
My Website: (in progress)
My Wife's website: (higher priority) www.sigrids.com

If you can live without infinity focus, you can always mount your Konica lenses on a plain Nikon->EOS adapter. Konica lenses fit quite snugly (of course, they won't lock) into the Nikon F mount - I succesfully tried that with a Hexanon 3.5/135 and a 1.7/50 on a Digital Rebel Xt.

dazedgonebye wrote:

Do you love that glass so much, or were you just curious to see if such a thing could be done?

Hexanon AR lenses are greatly underrated. While I am no lens expert, there are citations on the web claiming that Hexanon AR lenses are the equal of lenses made by Nikon, Canon and Zeiss. One site claims the Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 lens is the equal of any lens made. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but that may help explain why you can buy a SMC Pentax 50mm f1.2 lens fairly reasonably on Ebay, while the last two auctions on Ebay for Hexanon AR 57mm f1.2 lenses went for $216.50 and $305.00! If Ebay's auction prices are any indication, Hexanon AR lenses are pretty good lenses as even the more common lenses sell at prices comparable with the big name lenses.

Read it and weep, or simply be amazed. I was!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … NA:US:1123

Last edited by houdel (2008-10-30 03:24:26)

Konica Collector! Konica T3, T3N, T4, FT-1; Lenses: 21/4; 24/2.8; 50/1.4; 50/1.7; 57/1.2 (5!); 85/1.8; 100/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/4 55/3.5 Macro; 28-135/4-4.6 (2); 80-200/3.5; Teleconverter 2X; Bellows 3AR; Super Lentar 35/2.8; Spiratone 400/6.3 preset; Pheonix 500/8 mirror. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya 90/3.5 KL; 127/3.5 KL. Canon EOS 20D; Canon 18-55/3.5-3.8; Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6; Helios 44M 58/2

Espresso wrote:

Hi Espresso! Welcome to the forum!
This sounds great and quite easy! My ambition would be rather to keep the original aperture ring as it is and replace it with a home-made ring (some PVC sheet and a lot of work with a dremel should do it).
However, I can't get your trick with the threads to work! I tried all thread entries, but in no case can I bring the lens closer to the mount side, there is something there that prevents it from moving further. Is there any secret trick to make this work? Or is your 40/1.8 another version than mine? Mine has S/N 7653nnn.
I have sent you a PM.

Edit: One way I might solve it is by first removing the name plate and the name plate holder from the lens and inner barrel. Then the lens could indeed move deeper towards the mount, I think. To remount the name plate holder and name plate in the end I would need a 2-3 mm spacer between lens and name plate holder. Seems doable.
I'm taking photos in the process... so I guess I'll put some instructions online some time, if I succeed.

Edit2: Yes, it can be done this way. Infinity focus is achieved with an adapter of thickness 0.97 mm. In the "good old days" when M42 adapters had not the correct thickness, they made them like that. No need for sandpaper!
I may re-fix the name plate holder with some small rings around the 3 screws, to get sufficient distance - should be easy.
Drilling 4 holes in the adapter ring is almost routine work, should be no problem.
Major remaining challenge is the aperture ring - some 3 mm thick plastic (pvc plate) ring and a very thin piece of something to couple this ring with the mechanism. Luckily, the coupling is very elementary - I wish other lens manufacturers had done it the same way.

Last edited by Sjoerd (2008-11-03 21:40:51)

houdel wrote:
dazedgonebye wrote:

Hexanon AR lenses are greatly underrated. While I am no lens expert, there are citations on the web claiming that Hexanon AR lenses are the equal of lenses made by Nikon, Canon and Zeiss. One site claims the Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 lens is the equal of any lens made. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but that may help explain why you can buy a SMC Pentax 50mm f1.2 lens fairly reasonably on Ebay, while the last two auctions on Ebay for Hexanon AR 57mm f1.2 lenses went for $216.50 and $305.00! If Ebay's auction prices are any indication, Hexanon AR lenses are pretty good lenses as even the more common lenses sell at prices comparable with the big name lenses.

To my eyes, some Konica AR Hexanons are distinct in their optical quality.  Not only are they super sharp, but also renders colors in a way that is very pleasing.

This is a fact that is largely unknown judged by how many people talk about them, except to --  unfortunately -- some well-heeled collectors who drove the prices up to the roof for certain ones, like the 57mm 1:1.2 not to mention the super rare UC 28/1.8 smile

Last edited by shadowfox (2008-11-04 00:26:23)

Cheers, Will.

Yet, since when are collectors truly interested in optical quality of lenses? I am afraid that most of these overly expensive 57/1.2 end up in some cabinet and will never be used again!

VERY few people are using the Konica lenses on digital, I believe, based on the very limited information on conversions I found on the net. And Espresso, who did the 40/1.8 conversion, told me he is not using it because he is not impressed by its sharpness and sensitivity to stray light.
O well, just one thing to do: continue with my own conversion and see for myself!

I have used a number of different fast 50mm, 57mm & 58mm lenses on a DLSR(Olympus E-510), and after some quick resolution tests, the Konica Hexanon 57mm F1.4 & the Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 seem to be the sharpest of the ones I've tested. I've also tested a slightly slower Olympus OM Auto-S 50mm F1.8, and it's the sharpest in the corners.

I'll try to conduct some better tests later.

dnas wrote:

I have used a number of different fast 50mm, 57mm & 58mm lenses on a DLSR(Olympus E-510), and after some quick resolution tests, the Konica Hexanon 57mm F1.4 & the Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 seem to be the sharpest of the ones I've tested. I've also tested a slightly slower Olympus OM Auto-S 50mm F1.8, and it's the sharpest in the corners.

I must have said this before, but if you can, get a hold of the Hexanon AR 50/1.4.  That thing is said to be even sharper than its older version, the 57mm.

35/2 is also one to watch out for, I got lucky and get one along with an FT-1 kit without having to pay the premium price of lens-only sale.

Cheers, Will.

shadowfox wrote:
dnas wrote:

I must have said this before, but if you can, get a hold of the Hexanon AR 50/1.4.  That thing is said to be even sharper than its older version, the 57mm.

Still looking for one of those.... big_smile

dnas wrote:
shadowfox wrote:

Still looking for one of those.... big_smile

I have a 50mm f1.4 for $30 and a couple of 57mm f1.4s for $20-$25 each (all plus shipping). But my 57mm f1.2 is NOT for sale!

Last edited by houdel (2008-11-05 03:51:16)

Konica Collector! Konica T3, T3N, T4, FT-1; Lenses: 21/4; 24/2.8; 50/1.4; 50/1.7; 57/1.2 (5!); 85/1.8; 100/2.8; 135/3.5; 200/4 55/3.5 Macro; 28-135/4-4.6 (2); 80-200/3.5; Teleconverter 2X; Bellows 3AR; Super Lentar 35/2.8; Spiratone 400/6.3 preset; Pheonix 500/8 mirror. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya 90/3.5 KL; 127/3.5 KL. Canon EOS 20D; Canon 18-55/3.5-3.8; Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6; Helios 44M 58/2

houdel wrote:
dazedgonebye wrote:

Not that I'm disputing the Hexanon but the Pentax f1.2 lenses go for quite a bit too. The K is typically between $250 at the low and maybe $350 high while the A is somewhere between $450-$550. Maybe I'm missing the deals though as it is tricky to search them out sometimes.

Last edited by cvig (2008-11-06 23:19:44)

Hi Sjoerd did you manage to take some pics of the AR 40/1,8 retrofit job? I would like trying to fit a m42 or k mount to the . Would love to have some nice instructions + photos.